BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

61 - 80 of 966 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Sluss-

Not sure why your codes are showing only 6 cylinders! (Ie Cyl #1-3)

Because of this, I am suspect on whether or not you are in the correct table...

In table 18, 50 is related to the secondary air system.

Did you try reseting the codes and see what comes back?

Also, are you sure all segments in the peake are working right?

A
Ard,
The 1st code back looked like 1b, where the b loos like a 6, but is not really, per the manual.

I also was puzzled by the code descriptor cyl 1-3. I thought that it was odd, given my 8 cylinder s62.

I will check the code again tonight when I get home, to be sure. Regarding whether my reader is working correctly, that I do not know, as I just received it yesterday.

I was hesitant to reset the codes last night until I could gain an understanding of how to interpret them.

I will try that again tonight as well.

thanks for the insight... will let you know what I find out.

·
8,376 Posts
My apologies if my post confused you or other people when I said "for E39, only table 18 applies".

I thought that would be self explanatory and obvious to everyone as this is The M5board, not the 528i board nor the 540i board.

But I agree, that may have been confusing to some people so will re-state what I said earlier, here it is "For E39 M5, only Table 18 applies".

I cant remember where I learned this too but all I know is, everytime I pull fault codes - number 18 is what always pops up first (table to use).

·
Registered
437 Posts
Get 'em Doug...some of these stuffy, huaghty-taughty M5 owners think the sun and the moon revolves around their M5 and they don't even know there are some damn nice E39s out there besides an M5- snotty rich folks. Who the hell do they think they are anyway? I'm gonna take my 540 and go back to the E39 group on the bimmer forum ...the information is much more reliable over there!:byee55amg:M5thumbs:

·
Registered
12,398 Posts
I think it will light up all segments ('88') when it powers up... or some other pattern, so you'll know the segments are good.

Oh, you're about 10 miles from me too!

A

·
Registered
36 Posts
Ard..

I hooked it up again this evening and obtained the same results.

About the reader... when it powers up, the outer segments of the 8 rotate in a clockwise manner approx 2 or 3 times, then the Fc undicator appears. I press the go button, and the rotation appears again, then the 1b appears. It actually looks like 16, but the manual states that the 6 with no hood is a lowercase b.

I press go again, and each subsequent code appears, until the double dash shows up.

I think that the reader is working.

I did reset the reset the codes, and drove the car and the SES light did not come on yet. I am about to hop onto the freeway to see if it will come on at speed, like it did last week.

I looked at my rear air filters and they look pretty dirty, so I am hoping that that could be the culprit. That code 50
still bugs me though, as I am not sure what a switch chain grip is (although it sounds expensive).

I will let you know after my drive...

Just finished my drive, at ahem "highway speeds" and no codes. I am going to keep an eye on things, and do a little more research around the cryptic code 50.

Thanks for all of your help so far...

10 miles away... gee what a small world.

·
Registered
1,938 Posts
I cant remember where I learned this too but all I know is, everytime I pull fault codes - number 18 is what always pops up first (table to use).
Unless you have a cool Peake like mine that always gives you code 1B instead that leads to further non-existent codes haha! I still need to contact Peake about that :hihi:

·
8,376 Posts
Yes, that's what I recommend too. Borrow another members Peake Reader. Plug it in to your beast. If you get 18 as first number on the borrowed Peake reader, that means the problem is your own Peake reader. We cant fix that. Peaker will have to be contacted to figure out what is going on and what the fix is.

This is the second time in a short space of time that someone has not got table 18 showing??? hmmm

http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=110915

Does Ard have a code reader - seeing as how you guys are practically neighbours :M5thumbs:

·
Registered
6,468 Posts
Unless you have a cool Peake like mine that always gives you code 1B instead that leads to further non-existent codes haha! I still need to contact Peake about that :hihi:
If you are getting 1B then you need to go to table 18 instead :)

You're issue is that you get 1b, right? I know, I'm being pedantic, but with the Peake it matters :)

d-

·
Registered
437 Posts
I'm being pedantic, but with the Peake it matters :)

d-
Do you have to register with the local police to let them know where you live if you are a convicted pedantic? Just curious. I know you must live farther than 500 yards from grade schools, but didn't know whether you had to register as well:nono:

·
Registered
36 Posts
Just spoke to Dan Peake

All,
I just got off of the phone with Dan Peake of Peake Research, and he informed me that "officially", Table 18 of the manual is to be used for the M5.

There is a problem with the printed manual with the codes under table 1b.

If you have a new reader (like mine, I purchased it 2/1/08), the table code came up 1b. In his programming documentation, the reference codes for table 1b are the same as the printed documentation table 18.

He even emailed me the list of correct codes to use, which should correspond to printed Table 18. We did a quick spot check over the phone.

The one thing that I must say about Peake, is the customer service is AWESOME!!!! I was in such a hurry to order my reader last Friday, that I wanted it air frieght delivered on Monday. After my online order was placed, I received a phone call from Peake informing me that it would actually take longer with the express shipping because they are in San Jose, CA, and I live near Sacramento (about 90 mins away). They saved me the money, and the reader was delivered USPS, on Saturday!

When I called them today, Dan was very helpful on the phone. Truly a world class customer service org. If any of you have problems, call their help number, and Dan said that he would make himself available.

·
Registered
1,938 Posts
All,
I just got off of the phone with Dan Peake of Peake Research, and he informed me that "officially", Table 18 of the manual is to be used for the M5.

There is a problem with the printed manual with the codes under table 1b.

If you have a new reader (like mine, I purchased it 2/1/08), the table code came up 1b. In his programming documentation, the reference codes for table 1b are the same as the printed documentation table 18.

He even emailed me the list of correct codes to use, which should correspond to printed Table 18. We did a quick spot check over the phone.

The one thing that I must say about Peake, is the customer service is AWESOME!!!! I was in such a hurry to order my reader last Friday, that I wanted it air frieght delivered on Monday. After my online order was placed, I received a phone call from Peake informing me that it would actually take longer with the express shipping because they are in San Jose, CA, and I live near Sacramento (about 90 mins away). They saved me the money, and the reader was delivered USPS, on Saturday!

When I called them today, Dan was very helpful on the phone. Truly a world class customer service org. If any of you have problems, call their help number, and Dan said that he would make himself available.
Hey SlussM5, I also have a new Peake showing table 1B. What I don't get is what did Dan say about the cause of the problem, did he say the Peake reader was misprogrammed? Did he ask you to send it back and exchange it for a different one or just put up with the false code? I mean it's not a big deal to me to ignore the 1B, I'm just trying to understand exactly what he said. Thanks!

·
Registered
437 Posts
Rather than every peake tool owner calling him, you'd think there would be one central place where he could get news out to all of us. If the reader is giving false codes, then that means it is somewhat still under construction...it's got some bugs. No biggie- no cursing or blowing up. I bought mine last fall so it is already "wrong" in some respect. I think he needs to find a place to get info out to all his customers rather than just the ones who call. I love my Peake, but I wish I could upgrade its software as Peake irons out the bugs. That is what would take me from happy to VERY damn happy. Anyone feel as I do or am I seeing it wrong? Again, no stones being cast. I'm glad we have what we have.

Bill

61 - 80 of 966 Posts