BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

41 - 60 of 966 Posts

·
Registered
936 Posts
Thanks chowdah, the tech did mention the parts to be changed had something to do with the oil system.

I did look at the table at the top of this thread but what I don't understand is what would cause a cylinder, no 8 in my case, to misfire and what does MFL interface signal mean and once again what would cause a code?

If my translation is ok then it has something to do with the multi function steering wheel. (multifunktionslenkrad) Maybe as I have recently been trying to put a retrofit bluetooth system in and for the first time the voice recognition button works but this is a wild stab in the dark.

Thanks
farquy
Trying to find out what causes mis fires my self...

The MFL code is related to the steering wheel - I have had this code in the past, eventually the buttons stopped working, including the back light, and I ended up replacing the slip ring, easy enough job and never had a code since.

HTH - Richie.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I have two code popping up - 08 and 71, Intake camshaft and intake camshaft VANOS sensors on cyl 5-8. Just a week after I bought the car, in July, the SES lit up and I managed to get the dealer (who sold it used) to do the repair at no charge. I'm pretty sure it was a cam sensor, but don't have the details on which bank.

When I reset the codes, it doesn't pop up again for anywhere from 1-20 days, usually about a week or so. If the sensor was actually bad, wouldn't it light the code immediately the next time I drove the car? Is this an indication that it's just periodically throwing a bad signal - a very intermittend wiring issue or soimething similar?

I've also had an O2 sensor light up twice - once just after I got the car, and once in December. The first time, the dealer said it was a one-time code and not to worry about it. And during one of the weekly 08/71 clears, a 90/91 popped up, but hasn't been seen since.

Should I worry about either the random, once every 4-6 month codes, or the weekly-ish CPS codes? Any harm in just continuing to clear them?

When service is due, probably 4K miles from now, I'll probably ask the mechanic about them.

·
Registered
193 Posts
My CPS experience was exactly what you are seeing Rich S.
I got the CPS and VANOS sensor codes, then I would clear them and they would return anywhere from the same day to a couple of days (not as many as 20 days though).

The sensor itself fails intermittently and it only gets worse. Replace the sensor and clear the codes and it will not come back. This is not a symptom of bad wiring, it's the sensor.

CPS is not expensive to fix on the scale of things, and it is a possible DIY depending on your handiness. The only problem is that you can't see much behind the motor so you have to do most of it by feel. I used a mechanic's mirror on a telescoping rod and took my time, looking at each step of what I was about to do with the mirror before removing anything. It turned out to be not as bad as I was expecting.

Anyway the downside of not fixing it is bad performance and I suppose possible misfires if the timing is way off. I couldn't stand not having all of the car's power when I wanted it and not knowing if it would lose power at higher revs just when I didn't want that, and the SES light. It made me apprehensive to drive.

I think for peace of mind you should do it sooner rather than later.
My $.03 !

·
Registered
1,938 Posts
My CPS experience was exactly what you are seeing Rich S.
I got the CPS and VANOS sensor codes, then I would clear them and they would return anywhere from the same day to a couple of days (not as many as 20 days though).

The sensor itself fails intermittently and it only gets worse. Replace the sensor and clear the codes and it will not come back. This is not a symptom of bad wiring, it's the sensor.

CPS is not expensive to fix on the scale of things, and it is a possible DIY depending on your handiness. The only problem is that you can't see much behind the motor so you have to do most of it by feel. I used a mechanic's mirror on a telescoping rod and took my time, looking at each step of what I was about to do with the mirror before removing anything. It turned out to be not as bad as I was expecting.

Anyway the downside of not fixing it is bad performance and I suppose possible misfires if the timing is way off. I couldn't stand not having all of the car's power when I wanted it and not knowing if it would lose power at higher revs just when I didn't want that, and the SES light. It made me apprehensive to drive.

I think for peace of mind you should do it sooner rather than later.
My $.03 !
Cool, just in time, when I go to post my problem I see the above posts which seem to be very similar to my problems...by the way if you guys don't mind please keep me posted on the repairs you do and how they work out for you!

Ok, I finally got a Peake FCX 3. I was going to get just an Innova 3100 like Bread said (I like it too!) but I realized one important advantage to the Peake- I'm keeping my M5 for the REST OF MY LIFE and this board is my primary reference for everything M5 and most of the members here have a Peake and when I used the Innova scanner and posted the codes here 1) I couldn't get any conclusive answers to my questions as to what the codes meant 2) I wasn't even able to pinpoint myself what the codes meant after days of research. But I see it all the time, somebody posts a Peake code and boom! 100% response and definitive answers :woowoo:

So I took my new Peake out, actually read all the instructions, checked my SES light, and got the numbers 16 and 71. Book says first number is not a code but the table you use, so I go to table 16, which in turn says "see table 11", ok, I go to table 11, code 71-not present! It simply is not there, I am so confused! I followed the directions, now what? So I go here to get some answers, and read "ignore all tables except table 18, that is the only one that applies to the e39"!!! What?!? My car and my book told me that I need table 16, so what's going on? Am I retarded? :eek7:

And if I do go by table 18, can somebody please ellaborate on codes 16 and 71 if they do really both count as codes please and what I need to replace...thank you very much! :byee55amg

·
Registered
65 Posts
Cool, just in time, when I go to post my problem I see the above posts which seem to be very similar to my problems...by the way if you guys don't mind please keep me posted on the repairs you do and how they work out for you!

Ok, I finally got a Peake FCX 3. I was going to get just an Innova 3100 like Bread said (I like it too!) but I realized one important advantage to the Peake- I'm keeping my M5 for the REST OF MY LIFE and this board is my primary reference for everything M5 and most of the members here have a Peake and when I used the Innova scanner and posted the codes here 1) I couldn't get any conclusive answers to my questions as to what the codes meant 2) I wasn't even able to pinpoint myself what the codes meant after days of research. But I see it all the time, somebody posts a Peake code and boom! 100% response and definitive answers :woowoo:

So I took my new Peake out, actually read all the instructions, checked my SES light, and got the numbers 16 and 71. Book says first number is not a code but the table you use, so I go to table 16, which in turn says "see table 11", ok, I go to table 11, code 71-not present! It simply is not there, I am so confused! I followed the directions, now what? So I go here to get some answers, and read "ignore all tables except table 18, that is the only one that applies to the e39"!!! What?!? My car and my book told me that I need table 16, so what's going on? Am I retarded? :eek7:

And if I do go by table 18, can somebody please ellaborate on codes 16 and 71 if they do really both count as codes please and what I need to replace...thank you very much! :byee55amg
Yea, that sounds real simiple :3: You've got a new Peake and you're already confused!

FYI, the codes are THE SAME no matter what reader you have. The code 'scanner' simply displays those codes. The only difference is that with the innova you don't need a chart to figure out what code is being tripped. It simply displays the code directly on the screen, rather than displaying a chart refrence number, which corresponds to a code.

·
Registered
1,938 Posts
Yea, that sounds real simiple :3: You've got a new Peake and you're already confused!

FYI, the codes are THE SAME no matter what reader you have. The code 'scanner' simply displays those codes. The only difference is that with the innova you don't need a chart to figure out what code is being tripped. It simply displays the code directly on the screen, rather than displaying a chart refrence number, which corresponds to a code.
Thanks, but all this I understand because my friend has an Innova and I use it all the time. What I had trouble believing initially was that the Peake would display more detailed BMW specific code explanations but I now understand that it does do that...if you can figure out the stupid innaccurate directions!

·
8,376 Posts
Hi Ted.

I actually have a post on this here somewhere. I am just too busy with work right now so I dont have time right now to find it.

Anyway, Yes, I dont know who created the Peake Code Reader user instructions but it is definitely confusing as hell. Similar to you, I read it the first time and scratched my head. WTF. Whoever wrote it should be punished. Most people can write better user directions than that.

Here's a simple user instructions I have created, and a table 18 excel file I saw posted somewhere that I saved. Bottom line, use my instructions/tip sheet, then Table 18 is all you are supposed to use for our E39 M5.

I have placed a printed copy of these inside my Peake Code Reader pouch. Hope this helps you.

if you can figure out the stupid innaccurate directions!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,938 Posts
Problem Update!

Hi Ted.

I actually have a post on this here somewhere. I am just too busy with work right now so I dont have time right now to find it.

Anyway, Yes, I dont know who created the Peake Code Reader user instructions but it is definitely confusing as hell. Similar to you, I read it the first time and scratched my head. WTF. Whoever wrote it should be punished. Most people can write better user directions than that.

Here's a simple user instructions I have created, and a table 18 excel file I saw posted somewhere that I saved. Bottom line, use my instructions/tip sheet, then Table 18 is all you are supposed to use for our E39 M5.

I have placed a printed copy of these inside my Peake Code Reader pouch. Hope this helps you.

Problem Update: Even though I read about it a dozen times, I managed to somehow mix up the 6 and the B and so in fact today I realized that my Peake is telling me go to table 1B (not 16) and code 71. Here is what's messed up about this- 1) it should be table 18 and 18 only, right? and 2) there is no code 71 in table 1B. ??????grrrrrrr:M5launch:

·
Registered
6,454 Posts
Seriously, this isn't that complicated.

If the first number (that represents the table) is anything other than 18 then either a) you don't really have an M5, or b) you got a defective Peake.

Send the Peake back, tell them the issue, and get a new one. if the next one has the same problem then I'd do some serious looking into the history of my car...

d-

·
8,376 Posts
+ 1

For E39 M5, only Table 18 applies. So if you are not getting 18 as the first number, you may have the wrong Peake Reader model or your Peake reader is defective, or there is something wrong with your M5 OBD-II.

Borrow someone's Peake Reader for E39 M5 and if you get the right reading on your friends Peake Reader, then time to return your Peake Reader back to where you purchased it from.

I think you are in New York or DC area but If you live here in Seattle area, you can borrow mine anytime.

Seriously, this isn't that complicated.

If the first number (that represents the table) is anything other than 18 then either a) you don't really have an M5, or b) you got a defective Peake.

Send the Peake back, tell them the issue, and get a new one. if the next one has the same problem then I'd do some serious looking into the history of my car...

d-

·
Registered
1,938 Posts
+ 1

For E39 M5, only Table 18 applies. So if you are not getting 18 as the first number, you may have the wrong Peake Reader model or your Peake reader is defective, or there is something wrong with your M5 OBD-II.

Borrow someone's Peake Reader for E39 M5 and if you get the right reading on your friends Peake Reader, then time to return your Peake Reader back to where you purchased it from.

I think you are in New York or DC area but If you live here in Seattle area, you can borrow mine anytime.
Thanks for the advice. I've actually had a thread up for the last 2 months trying to borrow a Peake reader locally but nobody's volunteered...I'll keep trying and I'll contact Peake.com

·
Registered
193 Posts
Ted, stupid question but I just have to ask - you have the key in the 2nd position right? I don't think it works at all in the 1st position but maybe if it half works it gives the wrong codes.

2nd bonus question - have you had the OBDII TSB done?

·
Registered
437 Posts
I find my Peake Code Reader manual very difficult to understand. For a simple person like me, I like simple & easy instructions.

So I wrote this below on a word document, printed it and attached it to the pouch of my Peake Reader Tool.

Let me know if I have made an error or my understanding of pulling codes and which table applies for our E39 beasts is incorrect.

Peake Code Reader instructions:<O:p</O:p
<O:p</O:p
</O:p
Note: The reader defaults to FC (Fault Code read mode). For pulling fault codes follow simple steps below.<O:p</O:p
For E39 – the only applicable table to use is Table 18. No need to look at the other tables.<O:p</O:p

Is the above statement true that ONLY table 18 is needed for an E39?? I don't think so. I have an M5 and a 540i. I just got codes OF, 50, & 51 on my 540i and table 18 makes no sense, but table OF yields secondary air system which I believe because both times car was stone cold and backing UP the driveway as it had fairly deep snow. Where does this statement above about table 18 come from. It's not in my Peake manual??

·
Registered
6,454 Posts
BMWx2 - The statement should be that Table 18 is used by the M5 ONLY. AFAIK E39's in general use additional tables.

I can't for the life of me remember where I learned this, but I don't think it was the owners manual. I seem to recall that because the M5 was the only vehicle with the S62 engine it ended up with its own set of codes.

d-

·
Registered
36 Posts
SES light - error code interpretation sought

Hi all, I have a 2000 e39 M5 (production 11/99) with approx 63k miles.

Last week, I was driving when my SES light lit up. I just hooked up my peake reader and the following codes appeared:

table: 1b
code: AA
code: 50
code: b2

My manual states:
AA= secondary air system - flow too low
50= switch chain grip
b2= catalyst system efficiency cyl# 1-3

I have owned my beast for 5 months now purchased it with 57k miles, and the only problem I've had was my clutch @ 62k miles. It has upgraded CAI from aFe, that were on when I purchased in August. I am not sure how old they are.

I have not noticed any degradation in performance, over the past few weeks.

My mpg is approx 13 around town and 16 on the freeway, but I have attributed that to my inexperience at driving a manual. This is my 1st BMW, and 1st manual in many years.

Can anyone help me interpret the codes? I have seen some explanations for the AA, but have not seen the 50, or b2.

This board is awesome, and any help is greatly appreciated!

Thanks...

·
Registered
936 Posts
I must admit, I have no idea what code 50 is, obviously a switch gone bad somewhere, but on a chain grip?? Sorry :dunno:

b2 is pointing toward one of your cats - but it could be something to do with the O2 (Lambda) sensors.

Those sensors are very easy to replace and are not very expensive - that might help with one of your codes.

Maybe someone else will reply on code 50...

best of luck,

Richie.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Table 18 is NOT the only Peake table for E39's-just M5s

That makes perfect sense Doug and is what I thought too. I have an M5 so I frequent this forum and saw that statement on the first page and it really needs to be corrected. I realize this is the M5 board, but the M5 is obviously not the only E39 and the person who wrote that should fix it as it threw me off for a while. Table 18 *might* be the only table you need for an M5 only should be more accurate and I don't even know where that statement comes from, but I have no reason to doubt it.

Thanks

Bill

·
Registered
936 Posts
they are in the exhaust, one before and one after the cat.

Not 100% on US cars, I think they are slightly different to EU cars but this is a link to where they are on my car;

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?model=DE92&mospid=47550&btnr=18_0374&hg=18&fg=10

Items 4 and 6, it is the same on the other side of the exhaust too so you will need 4 in total.

Most people do not change the after cat sensors as they do not really play any role in how the engine performs.

Only thing to watch for when replacing them - make sure you put some anti seize on the threads - or it will be the last time they get replaced!

HTH Richie.

·
Registered
12,398 Posts
Sluss-

Not sure why your codes are showing only 6 cylinders! (Ie Cyl #1-3)

Because of this, I am suspect on whether or not you are in the correct table...

In table 18, 50 is related to the secondary air system.

Did you try reseting the codes and see what comes back?

Also, are you sure all segments in the peake are working right?

A

41 - 60 of 966 Posts