BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
933 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday, I was driving on the highway in the left lane and a guy driving a SUV in the right lane starts to merge into my lane. I hit the brakes and blew the horn and he quickly got back over. His left rear panel and my right front panel were so close that I was utterly shocked that there was no impact. But, I took down his plate number just in case. Well sure enough, as soon as I stop to check my beast, I find the damage in the pics below. I call the police and a state trooper comes by. He writes up the report and then tracks down the other driver. He gets his info and relays it to me a short time later. The other driver's insurance will cover the damage. I went in for an estimate at the highly-rated BMW collision center nearby this afternoon. They will redo the front panel (everything was chipped away at the points of impact), but simply buff the spot on the front bumper--circled in the pics (the scratch was not deep and he did not recommend doing the entire bumper as it is OEM--matching issues, I guess). They anticipate needing the beast for 2-3 days. Anything that I'm missing or should follow-up with? Quote is for just over $600. Unless you're really looking, the damage is not really noticeable, but it, of course, needs to be fixed. Thx.

P.S.--I know that my rims are horribly dirty and curbed.yawnnnn

Attachments

·
Registered
2,271 Posts
Unlucky mate, but I reckon you'd have done well to get a result like that in the UK, and get the other drivers insurance to pay. Anything. At all. I'm jealous.

·
Registered
1,541 Posts
Sounds like a good result - the damage doesn't look too extensive and the other drivers insurer is paying for a proper repair. In the photos, it looks like there is a small dint in the front bumper - I take it that this is a trick of the light. Or my eyes. Could have been a lot worse & we'll let you off with the dirty wheels.

As feeblebob says, in this country the other driver would have probably found a "witness" that would swear you had veered straight into him, no doubt causing some very painful whiplash that would certainly need compensation....

·
Registered
142 Posts
i feel your pain:sad2:

·
Registered
841 Posts
id take it to a different shop so you can pocket the difference! 600 for a respray is robbery.

·
Registered
12,398 Posts
I'm confused. $600 for what?

$600 to repaint the bumper sounds right. $600 to repair the damage on the arch seems low.

·
Registered
933 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm confused. $600 for what?

$600 to repaint the bumper sounds right. $600 to repair the damage on the arch seems low.
$600 for re-spray of the entire right panel. The bumper will only need to be buffed at the point of impact--they did not propose to respray the entire bumper.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Question for you: how do you like the Pilot Sports? I'm running Pirellis right now, and I hate them. Thinking about getting some PS2s - but I might go with some Kumhos again as they are super cheap and super sticky!!! How do the PS2s do for road noise, stickiness, treadwear, etc.

thanks!
:cheers:

·
Registered
12,398 Posts
$600 for re-spray of the entire right panel. The bumper will only need to be buffed at the point of impact--they did not propose to respray the entire bumper.
$600 is absolutely not too high.

Nothing personal, but they whole "spray" terminology seems to minimize the issue.

They need to prep and repair, then fill. primer..then color coat and blend it back. Then clearcoat the whole fender. $600 is nothing. To call it a "spray"- like you are spritzing off soapy water- seems a bit light. :)

That fender original paint"? Looks like some orange peel there, not sure if it is more than normal...

A

·
Registered
933 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
@DDSLT5, I have no complaints about the PS2s, but I'm only 7 months into my beast ownership. I've got 5K on them so far. A lot of people run the PS2s, so that's why I went with them.

@ard, the shop manager was very thorough in his explanation of what they will do. It'll be just over 9 hours in labor for the body work and painting. Everything that you mentioned, they will do.

·
Registered
2,271 Posts
Sounds like a good result - the damage doesn't look too extensive and the other drivers insurer is paying for a proper repair. In the photos, it looks like there is a small dint in the front bumper - I take it that this is a trick of the light. Or my eyes. Could have been a lot worse & we'll let you off with the dirty wheels.

As feeblebob says, in this country the other driver would have probably found a "witness" that would swear you had veered straight into him, no doubt causing some very painful whiplash that would certainly need compensation....
Or, as I was thinking, the insurance companies would have let it go 'knock for knock' and each party would just pay for their own repairs. The way insurance works here absolutely stinks. I had a van change lanes into the side of me in Sheffield, once the ex-wife had managed to pin me down and not tear him apart, he admitted liability, he looked shattered and was too tired to concentrate. He said he would contact his insurance and tell them. I had no reason to doubt him really, he looked really shook up. Next thing, his insurance came back and said they wouldn't pay as I was undertaking (simply not the case) and if I wanted to take it further, they would press for prosecuting me for driving without 'due care and attention', a common blanket means of doing someone for a sort of unspecified driving offence. So they came back with a lie, and threatened me if I pursued it.

Proper stinks. Grrr :(

But like I say, glad to hear the OP is getting it sorted, should be immaculate when it comes back! :cheers:

·
Registered
906 Posts
@ard, the shop manager was very thorough in his explanation of what they will do. It'll be just over
9 hours in labor for the body work and painting. Everything that you mentioned, they will do.
I would urge you to get at least two other "high-end" body shops to have a look. The shop manager's "story" of
9 hours labor for $600 is nonsense. If 9 hours is a valid quote, the true cost would be $1000-1200. Based on this
fact alone, I would go elsewhere. You can find a high quality shop by going around to some of the really expensive
car-make dealers (BMW, Porsche, Audi, Mercedes, Bentley, Aston-Martin) and ask them who does their body/paint
repair. You will find there is a short list, especially for those that are rated as "Factory Authorized".

Good luck with getting it sorted,
Alan

·
Registered
933 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I would urge you to get at least two other "high-end" body shops to have a look. The shop manager's "story" of
9 hours labor for $600 is nonsense. If 9 hours is a valid quote, the true cost would be $1000-1200. Based on this
fact alone, I would go elsewhere. You can find a high quality shop by going around to some of the really expensive
car-make dealers (BMW, Porsche, Audi, Mercedes, Bentley, Aston-Martin) and ask them who does their body/paint
repair. You will find there is a short list, especially for those that are rated as "Factory Authorized".

Good luck with getting it sorted,
Alan
Thx. It's a BMW Certified Collision Center (one of two in Pa.). I'm going to post up the estimate when I get a chance. The collision center is BMW-specific, but the retail complex (owned by the same corporation) has separate dealerships that sell BMW, Porsche, Audi and Mercedes). It is easily the largest purveyor of German luxury cars (new and used) in the area. So, off the top of my head, I cannot think of any alternatives...I will check, though.

·
Registered
567 Posts
Hard to tell for sure from the pix, but it looks like the paint on the bumper got scratched.
If so, the bumper should be repainted. End of story. The story of 'OEM color matching' doesn't ring true to me. If they can't match just the corner of the bumper, then the bumper should come off and get repainted.
You should have ulterior motives to get that bumper repainted - all the e39s are 7+ years old and the original paint on the front bumpers are all chipped and sandblasted from driving, so it certainly needs to be repainted anyways.

·
Registered
459 Posts
Yeah get a quote with bumper respray, get some benefit out of it.
Over here your insurance would probably go up, as you've been involved in a claim irrespective of being non fault.
This is why I'd push for extra work/whiplash, as over here you'd still lose out thanks to some nob who can't drive, so would counteract this.
Good luck with it, I had paint and the jokers had about 6 attempts at my black calibra before I gave up and went elsewhere.

·
Registered
933 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
The estimate is attached. The shop manager told me that he could match the spot on the bumper and it would be virtually unnoticeable. A new bumper would be awesome, but the guy that hit me is 74 years old, called me less than two hours after the accident to apologize and give me his agent's name and number. So, I'm trying to do right by him as much as I can. I've not even involved my insurance agent, but if his insurance agent drags his feet, I will.

Attachments

Reactions: yellowgixxer

·
Registered
933 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Got her back!

I think they did a pretty nice job overall. They had her for 2 days and took really good care of her (put less than a mile on her, thoroughly cleaned the rims, vacuumed the interior and gave her another wash just before I arrived due to some recent rain). I'm hoping for no return visits...

Attachments

1 - 20 of 28 Posts