BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I only ask because tonight in Calgary it is going to be -38C (-36F)with a windchill below -49C (-56F)...now THAT is cold! :eek:h:

I'd be curious as to how the E39 M5 handles such weather...mine is parked toasty under a car cover...sleeping right now.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Wow, pretty cold out there. :hihi: I live in Finland, and even here is not that cold, and this is a country that most of the US people thinks that we have ice bears or penguings down here. ouich

Well, seriously, this is the first winter I'm driving my M5, and this is been a pretty warm winter only around +5C (23F) the coldest days.

But last winter I drove an E39 540i 4.4L V8 and one morning I had to start it from -25C (around -13F) without pre-warming, that was something. :hihi:

·
Registered
9,355 Posts
Mine has seen -25 and hated it. I left it outside overnight and then the next day it had a hell of a rough start. No SES light but checked for codes anyways and found abunch of "misfire on warm-up" codes.

·
Registered
2,411 Posts
Coldest around 15 F here. This morning it was 45 F. Do you guys in the real cold have trouble shifting before the car warms up when its that cold? Sometimes my 2nd gear is a little stiff. I can't imagine if it was 30+ deg colder.

·
Registered
49 Posts
M5 in the Cold

I live in Calgary too. M5 tucked in heated storage under a blanket for the winter. I can't imagine putting the oil system under the stress of anything below -10C. My winter driver, 06 Ridgeline, power windows won't even operate at our current -47C wind chill.

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
Damn - that´s cold.

It´s going to be -18°C here next weekend and that's considered bad
over here........ IN ICELAND!!!! :7:

·
Registered
6,958 Posts
I've driven mine at -10F. Two things: 1) lumpy tires from the flat spots (to be expected) 2) a (thankfully!) brief horrible sound when she first starts up. Sounds like all the belts are slipping momentarily. Other than that, all good.

Dave

·
Banned
2,164 Posts
Everyone seems to forget where this car was made. I have lived in germany and you will see M5's, 911's etc all on the hwy during the winter, in snow and inclement weather. I have seen a few M5's in austria with roof boxes filled with ski equipment driving with snow chains in around 0 degree temps.

In that temp the last thing i would worry about is the M, I would be more concerned with my feet and any exposed skin if I were to be outside for any amount of time.

Ryan

·
Registered
430 Posts
My M5 is my daily driver. In this frigid cold, the M5 is fine, assuming it has slept in my heated garage.

When starting it up after work, however, it's a different story.

First, pushing the clutch in is like trying to compress concrete. Once you do that, you turn the key, and the car starts... but it sounds like it's gargling with souls of demons.

It takes a while to get warmed up, and the car sounds very loud until it does.

I give it a good amount of time to get to a reasonable operating temperature before moving it.

·
Registered
2,131 Posts
It is definitely a hard start for me when it get's -5 and below. I experience the same horible sound that Wilsodh described.

It does say right in the manual to not start the car unless you are going to drive it right away.

So on super cold days I start it and pull out real slow and keep the revs down but make sure to keep some stress on the motor.

Bob

·
Registered
6,958 Posts
Once you do that, you turn the key, and the car starts... but it sounds like it's gargling with souls of demons.
:7: Good one! That about captures it!

I experience the same horible sound that Wilsodh described.
Glad to know mine is not the only one!

Dave

·
Registered
200 Posts
:7: Good one! That about captures it!

Glad to know mine is not the only one!

Dave
If those of you in SoCal aren't laughing as it is, I just checked our local weather - it is MINUS 51 C RIGHT NOW with windchill factor.

The coldest I've ever seen on my car readout was minus 39 C. As far as starting is concerned, those of you who live in the colder climes should consider a block warmer - I use mine daily as the temperature dips below 0, and it really makes a difference on both the warm-up time for the engine (and the heater), and the fact that the "souls of demons" noise doesn't happen when it's used!

·
Registered
430 Posts
I laughed when I found out that the "Winter Care Kit" that comes with my vehicle consists of rubber floor mats and a snowbrush. No block heater in the M5.

WinnipegM5, nice thing about windchill is that it doesn't affect cars.

·
Registered
200 Posts
I laughed when I found out that the "Winter Care Kit" that comes with my vehicle consists of rubber floor mats and a snowbrush. No block heater in the M5.

WinnipegM5, nice thing about windchill is that it doesn't affect cars.
Absolutely right about the windchill not affecting cars, except for how quickly they lose the heat they've built up. It's the "real" temperature that counts.

On the block heater comment, I was quite surprised as well to learn after purchasing that there is no OEM solution for cold starting. My mechanic installed an electric engine/sump warmer that I think is more commonly used in diesel applications - it makes a huge difference driving away from a cold start, as the first temp light on the tach goes out within the first 30-60 seconds of driving when it's used in weather like now, and without it (if I don't have enough hands to plug it in when I leave the car) that light takes at least 5 minutes to go out.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Hmmm, my M5 is my daily driver as well, except when it snows, even a coating, she stays put. Coldest it has been here was around 12F. And she isn't kept in the garage, no room. Starts every morning no problem, if I don't let her warm up, then I am going to have problems shifting. Not the clutch but the actual shifter is stiff. I feel like I am ripping my shoulder out.

·
Registered
82 Posts
We tied a record for the overnight low on Jan 28, -44.4C

I was driving around yesterday with fresh snow on the ground, bright blue cloudless sky, with the temperature guage showing -38C. It warmed up to -30C in the afternoon. :biggrin:

Besides the interesting noises the car makes at these temperatures, (souls of demons, LOL) I noticed that the DSC light flashes a lot. I guess it's difficult to maintain traction when it's cold.

Alex

·
Registered
6,958 Posts
Besides the interesting noises the car makes at these temperatures, (souls of demons, LOL) I noticed that the DSC light flashes a lot. I guess it's difficult to maintain traction when it's cold.

Alex
:eek:h: -38C?? Ok, I'll stop complaining about the Chicago weather!

Maybe the DSC light comes on because the tires are hard as rocks and have little traction!

Dave

·
Registered
3,533 Posts
the coldest my car has seen is -19f in manie a 2 weeks ago and i heard the demon souls when i started it lol
also let it sit all week here in ny and the demon souls were there when i started her last night to go somewhere thank god for seat warmers it took forever for the first 2 oil lights to go out i was waiting for that so i could start driveing

1 - 20 of 25 Posts