BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Knowing that these things were rated so low, I never even wanted to know or care what my car averaged. I have had mine two weeks and finally put it on the road, so I decided to keep track.
I pulled the charcoal filters the night before my trip btw.
Did a four hour trip. Half was interstate moving around 75-90 at any given moments. Then the other half was country roads with hills and small town slow downs.
All in all, I averaged 19.1. Is that around what you guys are getting just during normal easy driving?

When I was doing the first hour of interstate driving I kept it around 70 and never saw better than 21.1 Once I sped up, of course the numbers dropped

·
Registered
13,461 Posts
I get an average of 16mpg but I don't romp on it all the time like others do.

Reactions: UNCIVIL

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
5 mpg?? goodness.
Well I guess My 19 is ok. I am thinking it will only get worse after I purchase the SB.

·
Registered
13,461 Posts
Only a lead foot will make it worse, the SB does not really make any difference on mpg, just removes the throttle lag.

·
Registered
422 Posts
13.5 on average for me. What mode were you driving in?

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
oh ok. Got it ACG.

Vapiano, I was in P400

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
This is the first thread that appreciates our car's MPG. In all seriousness it's really not THAT bad considering we can take out mostly everything on the road and get groceries at the same time. I can't really ask for more.

Dan

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
This is the first thread that appreciates our car's MPG. In all seriousness it's really not THAT bad considering we can take out mostly everything on the road and get groceries at the same time. I can't really ask for more.

Dan
Your dream car - GT3 ;)

·
Registered
146 Posts
Wow, Never seen any better then 15.

·
Registered
13,461 Posts
One reason why I drive the Porsche as a DD, it actually gets in the 20's and that in our world is huge LOL!!

·
Registered
74 Posts
Maybe I've got a record, on a 200 miles round trip with the kids in the back, I got 24mpg..
That was motorway, and driving 60-65mph..
Actual best I've seen, was a reset on the move and driving it like it was broke.. 28.3mpg..
Both in p400.

Wife won't allow the taps to be opened in the slightest, with the kids on-board...

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
I meet the nicest and most interesting people at gas stations, unfortunately my Subaru only needs filling up once a month in ( I even forget which side the filler goes).

The Mustang Convertible with only a 11-gallon usable, (12-gal on fumes) allows for many more encounters.

BTW 28-mpg on an Imperial Gallon (UK/Canada) is about 22 miles per US Gallon.

A fact of European Engines vs US 2-valve push rod V-8's is that near wide open throttle the engines are more efficient in producing the same horse power as the US V-8. Central spark plug 4-valve pent roof combustion chambers allows for more complete combustion thus motive force rather than heat out of the exhaust.

If you are a spirited driver, you will get better real world mileage than a push rod engine that is only optimized for the EPA emissions and mileage testing.

Back in 2007 Edmund's found that during Dyno testing that the GM 6.2 L took 4.2 seconds to change from economy / emissions mode to full power mode making the 5.7 L Tundra feel a lot more responsive and powerful even though labeled with a lower HP rating than the 6.2 L.

I pulled away from a 2014 Camaro in convincing fashion, at the next stop light the Camaro driver asked what I had done to my engine to be so fast, I said: oil change and new air cleaner and 400-lbs of lime (10-bags) in the bed for traction ( on certified scales my Tundra 4x4 5.7 Ltd weighs 6100-lbs. with my butt in seat).

A Police Officer I know traded his GM truck for a Tundra since the GM motor although having the 8v/4v mode for economy; was only getting 14-mpg hwy , he then got 18-mpg hwy with same driving style even though his new Tundra has the worse EPA mileage rating.

My point being do not trust the Manufactures mileage ratings since they provide no indication on what you will actually experience, do trust the engine technology. I believe the S85 is one of the most efficient NA motors producing over 500-hp for those drivers inclined to not set the cruise in order to continuously jockey for position to stay ahead of the moving chicanes and pylons representing the many zombie drivers on our highways.

Even if an F10 where to follow, his mileage would be no better (turbo boost needs combustion cooling via fuel enrichment while the S85 does not).

·
Registered
74 Posts
At best I drive maybe 80-90 miles a week......probably split 50/50 between P400 and P500 during Saturday/Sunday drives around the city. I rarely hit the highway, and when I do it's to stretch the legs a bit.

Over the first 1800 miles of ownership, I've averaged 11.9 mpg. I don't see that increasing at any point. :biggrin:

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
At best I drive maybe 80-90 miles a week......probably split 50/50 between P400 and P500 during Saturday/Sunday drives around the city. I rarely hit the highway, and when I do it's to stretch the legs a bit.

Over the first 1800 miles of ownership, I've averaged 11.9 mpg. I don't see that increasing at any point. :biggrin:

That is actually better than expected if you do a lot of short trips, the killer is the start up sequence to get the cats up to temperature in order to lower emissions sooner.
IMO; change you oil on a severe service basis.

The variable valve timing (VANOS) allows the cams to be way retarded after start up than a very rich mixture of fuel and exhaust air injection is introduced in order to have a high rate of combustion occur in the exhaust manifolds, this will get the cats up to the required min 650-degree operating temp quicker thus allowing a high performance engine to pass emission based on an average weighting.

The LS7 in the Z06 and Z28 are being retired soon, since that block was never designed for variable valve timing to allow this kind of fast cat light off strategy.

The proliferation of turbo motors by OEM's was needed due to current / future emission requirements, since smaller engines heat up quicker allowing lower emissions.

My 5.7 L Tundra does this retarded cam, fuel enrichment as well (makes a heck of a noise on start up) which means on short trips (getting milk or beer) I average 7 to 8-mpg, I only get above 16-mpg once the engine is fully warmed up.

I expect to average 20-mpg when I get my M5 based on the following strategy:

1.-use my other cars for shorter trips

2.- by changing my oil to 5W-40 or 0W-40 I expect to pick up to 10% in gas mileage

About 50 to 80-HP is required for cars to cruise at 70-mph, I theorize that the brake down for the M5 is as follows: 15% rolling resistance (drive-train and tires), 60% wind resistance, 25% engine internal friction, accessory drive, and oil pumping resistance.

I think pumping the 10W-60 oil is like driving into head wind, a 0-40 oil would require much less HP (say a 10% drag reduction), in my experience tires make a substantial difference as well, many HP tires are becoming available in low rolling resistance versions, that may give me another 3 to 5% improvement.

Cannot wait to try it out.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts