BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

Kinda bored with M5...

4K views 38 replies 26 participants last post by  Dylan Thomas 
#1 ·
Been thinking how much fun it would be to mod the hell out of a 335i. Barely get out of city traffic to drive the m5 and a smaller car gives more exileration. Not to mention I like to put mods on cars and the M5 really doesn't have many of significance.

Maybe its me, but it doesn't feel like 500hp. If I could keep it at redline more often maybe, but in dallas traffic, it feels pretty pokey in the lower rpm range.

My m5 take:
comfort/perf seats rock
ride is nice
back seat room is ample
curb appeal.. eh. got more looks in most of my less expensive cars.
build and styling - solid - couldn't imagine a merc as an option.
acceleration <80 nice >80 - 140 great.
fuel econ - crap. don't pay for the gas, but the frequent stops suck.
stereo - great

btw - I'm fine with SMG... :)

thought about getting 03 and modding it with s/c turbos /etc. but the 335i is a better platform.

Just late night rambling - anyone else wish there were more mods for the m5?

See less See more
#4 ·
:) that sounds like agreement to me.. ok. I'll wait. but for what type of mod?

I'm thinking I'll get me a used 335i coupe/convertible put $10k engine mods into it with some nice wheels and then post a whole bunch of M5 kill videos 0 to 120 on youtube. Then wait for the argument of well - we need to start at 80... cherrsagai time for another beer... nite.

#7 ·
I'm thinking I'll get me a used 335i coupe/convertible put $10k engine mods into it with some nice wheels and then post a whole bunch of M5 kill videos 0 to 120 on youtube.
Based on what I saw in Sweden two weeks ago, it won't happen. You'll be dissapointed if you get rid of your M5, buy a 335i, mod it, and expect it to hang with an M5.

Reactions: Payam972 and Taipan
#6 ·
My girlfriend just picked up a 335i, and I love it. Its quick and feels like it just wants to go. I feel its very similar to the E46 M3 in terms power. But after running errands in her car, opening the garage to see my bad boy just sitting there, made me really realize that the 335 is much lower on the totem pole!

Reactions: drewzMMM
#9 ·
Good Luck Brentis!

You have no idea what a PITA it is to mod the 335i reliably....not to mention the countermeasures BMW has put in place to prevent tuning of the BMW turbo cars.

The 335i has a gimp open differential.

I obsess over tuning my M6 and 335xi....I have only played around with the M6 and left the 335 stock.

All the trouble and only to see BMW M5 / M6 taillights.

Good Luck :thumbsup:

#10 ·
I would recommend you consider keeping the M5 as others have said. It is a great car as you know. There will mods coming for the M5/M6. ASR will offer some neat stuff soon.
The M5 is so versitile. Power and comfort.

Now you want to mod and be very fast the go Porsche TT. Pick up a 996 for more reasonable price and mod it to 600 rwhp.

Anyway good luck.

M5Ranger

#11 ·
Brentis,

Bad decision.:nono: I live near Frisco as well so Darren and I will both hunt you down haha. You need to come out to our meets more often. Wait untill Darren and Chris are done with their cars. :eek: You will literally Sh%t your pants!!

#13 ·
i say keep the m5. the 335 will never be that fast on the highway. doesn't matter how much modding you do.. when im in 4th gear in p5 mode @80.. it just makes me think about never selling the car ever.. its a TRUE beast.. mod your m5 a little, do a cf delete, get the RPi scoops.. it cost you like $200 bucks and some noticeable power.

but if all fails, dont get a 335.
get a e46 m3. go hpf on it. i doubt many cars out here there will hang, even p cars. :M5thumbs:

#14 ·
Meets? Well I guess I would need to get invited...

As for mods, I just don't see much that really has much of an impact.

The M5 is probably the perfect single car for me. Otherwise I should get a 750 and an EVO for modding. I just don't drive more than 10k/yr as is and two cars is hardly worth the hassel.
heh.

#34 · (Edited)
Bring your car at Mfest this year and i'm sure you'll have alot of fun...Invite the texan members too...

RPI, HPF, AA, VF, ESS, EVOMS to name a few will be at Mfest with their cars From M5/M6, Z4M's all Kinds of 3 series to the Z series, Pcar to the carrera gt's to Nobles and alot more:M5rev:
Meets? Well I guess I would need to get invited...

#16 ·
thought the torque curve on e46 m3 coupled with smgII sucked bad. rather not have manual for when I drink my coffee... yeah - i know.

have dinan exhaust, rpi, cf, bmc. thought about software, but seems like mixed reviews.. guess a pulley..

You are lost my friend, you need a little edification. Go get a good ol'Texas whoopin by the DFW crew and you will beg for their secrets.

You need to be thinking Z06, F430, 911TT to beat a M5 straightup.

#18 ·
You have raised plenty of curiosity. What are the DFW secret components?

I guess since it's a secret we will not find out :dunno:.

It sounds like a real killer. Anything to make it faster.

Reactions: Qs06M5
#19 ·
Maybe its me, but it doesn't feel like 500hp. If I could keep it at redline more often maybe, but in dallas traffic, it feels pretty pokey in the lower rpm range.
Flame suit on:eek:

Sounds like you need an AMG, lots of torque at low rpms = great for throwing yourself around traffic.

#33 ·
...I recommend an E39 M5 ;)

...low end torque, responsive handling, unique and classic BMW lines, fun to drive in town and out - - I'm never bored :hihi:
Yup... and ENDLESS mod potential... :thumbsup:

:M5launch:
Dave

#25 ·
+1
:cheers:

#26 ·
I would say keep the car and get the ASR twin turbo kit when its released. If you want a serious torque monster, get an AMG like Murtaza said. The 335 would be a fun toy, but its not a serious car like the M5 is. Sure, you could get it built up and make it really quick, but its much more of a toy than what you have.

#28 ·
I agree with some of Brentis is getting at, so hard to really enjoy the ///M without fear of crashing in traffic or loosing ones driver's license. I think I am going to treat myself to a new diff and enjoy a little more low end torque and zip, I would never in any way consider getting rid of my beloved beauty though.

Cheers
Omes.

#32 ·
Any road tracks in your part of the world? If that doesn't give you a big enough hit of speed, drive down to the Lone Star State, legal radar detectors and highways stretching into the horizon.

#30 ·
I think Darren has spent an inordinate amount of time in Northern California as of late...

And yes, we do meet each and every Saturday in Dallas.. You Houston guys should come up some weekend or we should plan something together!

#36 ·
... Barely get out of city traffic to drive the m5 and a smaller car gives more exileration. Not to mention I like to put mods on cars and the M5 really doesn't have many of significance.

thought about getting 03 and modding it with s/c turbos /etc. but the 335i is a better platform.
Brentis - I drive in the same traffic you do & enjoy my M5 whether slogging through heavy downtown traffic or cruising up the N. Dallas Raceway during off hours.

Especially after spending time in 335s, 535s, X5s & the other loaners I'm too frequently driving, I appreciate the M's rigid chassis, knife-edged steering, strong brakes and of course the power when that slot opens in the traffic. The extra road hugging weight is nice when boxed in by 18 wheelers & soccer moms. The others don't compare.

BMW didn't leave many ready modifications on the table. If you want something light & easy to work on, look at the 135s, previous gen M3s, Vettes, Vipers & GT3s. Seems to me current & upcoming Bimmers are burdened down with too much complexity & weight. Light & simple is easier to customize.

While you're considering another toy, get out of the metroplex and drive your M the way it was designed to be driven.

#37 ·
Brentis - I drive in the same traffic you do & enjoy my M5 whether slogging through heavy downtown traffic or cruising up the N. Dallas Raceway during off hours.

Especially after spending time in 335s, 535s, X5s & the other loaners I'm too frequently driving, I appreciate the M's rigid chassis, knife-edged steering, strong brakes and of course the power when that slot opens in the traffic. The extra road hugging weight is nice when boxed in by 18 wheelers & soccer moms. The others don't compare.

BMW didn't leave many ready modifications on the table. If you want something light & easy to work on, look at the 135s, previous gen M3s, Vettes, Vipers & GT3s. Seems to me current & upcoming Bimmers are burdened down with too much complexity & weight. Light & simple is easier to customize.

While you're considering another toy, get out of the metroplex and drive your M the way it was designed to be driven.
Dylan, I don't know if you are police because you just laid down the law baby. :hihi::applause:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.