BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My car currently has 150k miles. It is lowered on springs, and i never changed the shocks on it. I know the control arm bushing is bad which causes an annoyance when braking, but the overall ride quality has lowered. Suspension problem? Maybe some of you high mileage owners can give some advice

·
Registered
3,746 Posts
Don't have a high mileage car, but when i changed the following i noticed a tremendous difference. Engine mounts, upper control arm bushings and better(softer) tires. Shocks will automatically improve the drive, but if you consider everything else, it would be night and day.

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
Yeah I've noticed a big improvement in general ride quality just changing from run flats on the rear to Pilot Super sport tires. Which have pretty supple sidewalls compared to run flats.

·
Registered
292 Posts
I had about 160k on the stock suspension and changed out everything except the shocks and springs. There was very little improvement, though tires were probably the biggest improvement at that time. Once I changed the shocks, big difference. Went with an S1 setup, ie Koni's and dinan springs.

·
Banned
3,793 Posts
I had about 160k on the stock suspension and changed out everything except the shocks and springs. There was very little improvement, though tires were probably the biggest improvement at that time. Once I changed the shocks, big difference. Went with an S1 setup, ie Koni's and dinan springs.
My OE shocks wouldn't even retract after compression when I took them out at 68K miles, so you guys with 80K plus miles on OE shocks are simply riding on your coils. Good news is I have OE shocks with less than 9K miles on them for sale!

·
Registered
2,929 Posts
Since you (OP) never changed out the struts, lowering the car on springs reduced the life of the struts and they are likely ready to be replaced. I had OE struts on my car years ago, and as soon as I installed springs, they pretty much died months later due to them always being compressed and not allowing them to travel.

·
Registered
568 Posts
My problem is not necessarily ride quality but sharpness. My car feels sloppy, delayed in steering and very disconnected from the road. So my power steering hoses re leaking so Im changing that out with the reservoir, but with doing that, im going to tackle my tie rods and center link to see if that will help....anything else I should replace? Like what bushings etc......im not a suspension junky so IDK haha

·
Registered
2,929 Posts
ENd links to the sway bars can make a big difference. I noticed when mine went sloppy and it felt like I was cornering with tires at 10psi. When I replaced them a few weeks later, the crispness returned. I would also look into bushings, but tackle the easy end rods and go for a spin and see if it fixes things.

·
Banned
3,793 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
From the PO, my car is setup with stock shocks and H&R lowering springs in the front. Absolutely terrible for handling IMO (at least, at my current mileage). I'm going with Ground Control coils in the softest setup, on their way now.

If you did want to change just the shocks, I notice Tire Rack has solid deals on the Koni Yellow products at moment.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Where did you get your Ground Controls? If my center tie rod doesnt improve my handling i might need to swap my shocks :/ If i dont get it sold before that..

·
Registered
170 Posts
Where did you get your Ground Controls? If my center tie rod doesnt improve my handling i might need to swap my shocks :/ If i dont get it sold before that..
From Ground Control. I'll post a new thread with install and first impressions when installed.

·
Registered
170 Posts
1 - 16 of 16 Posts