BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have written this up after searching past threads, and from my perspective I found the descriptions less than clear.

I hope this helps someone else and stops them going through the process of discovery that led me to this point.

So far I have had blacks, shadow chromes, and have now gone back to the original chrome (new set).

If you have a replacement set, study them before attempting the removal of the existing ones.

To Remove -

(work in a well lit area, a work light is useful when removing so you can light the backside of the grill) open the bonnet (hood). Access the back aspect of the kidney grill (engine bay side) and use a flat blade screwdriver or similar to gently lift the rectangular tabs by rotating the screwdriver head a little. There are 6 tabs, 2 top and bottom, and one each end. With steady pressure pull the grill part back toward the engine bay as you lift each tab.
The grill and surround will separate as you go.

To Install -

Reassemble the grill and surround into one piece. Refit the assembled grill into the bonnet opening from the front (outside, painted area of bonnet) by pushing each corner and end in turn, they will pop in with a clear click.

Cheers

Scott

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have written this up after searching past threads, and from my perspective I found the descriptions less than clear.

I hope this helps someone else and stops them going through the process of discovery that led me to this point.

So far I have had blacks, shadow chromes, and have now gone back to the original chrome (new set).

If you have a replacement set, study them before attempting the removal of the existing ones.

To Remove -

(work in a well lit area, a work light is useful when removing so you can light the backside of the grill) open the bonnet (hood). Access the back aspect of the kidney grill (engine bay side) and use a flat blade screwdriver or similar to gently lift the rectangular tabs by rotating the screwdriver head a little. There are 6 tabs, 2 top and bottom, and one each end. With steady pressure pull the grill part back toward the engine bay as you lift each tab.
The grill and surround will separate as you go.

To Install -

Reassemble the grill and surround into one piece. Refit the assembled grill into the bonnet opening from the front (outside, painted area of bonnet) by pushing each corner and end in turn, they will pop in with a clear click.

Cheers

Scott
You should post a video, it will be easier and quicker for people. :checkeredflag:

·
Registered
2,203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
if I ever do them again..........

·
Registered
62 Posts
pretty good vid. Short, and to the point.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts