BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
5,226 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All,

I have begun to experience diffuculty in getting my car to unlock remotely with the key fob. This issue occurs with both key fobs, so I am taking that as an issue internal to the car. The alarm disarms just fine when I use the key.(You do remember what that is? Shiny long thing you stick into the ignition only it works in the door as well!) Of course I had hardly ever used the key in the door or the trunk until now.

Perhaps as someone mentioned in another thread, could it be an alarm sensor of some type. Jez, there is a sensor for everything here!

Mark

·
Registered
694 Posts
Hey Mah!

Ocean-Side here. I would say to polish the chrome thingy you stick the key into, that seemed to help mine...:hihi: J/K
maybe some WD-40 into the key hole? Let us know what you find

·
Registered
205 Posts
Refresh my memory: Is there a battery in our keys that needs to be replaced periodically, or is it recharged by the car when the key is in the ignition?

Maybe your battery is getting weak? Rechargeable batteries eventually lose their ability to hold a charge.

Mike

·
Registered
5,353 Posts
Maybe your battery is getting weak? Rechargeable batteries eventually lose their ability to hold a charge.
It's called a "battery" even in the manual, but I'm told it's really a capacitor. Anyway, he said it was on both FOBs so maybe it's on the car end. Perhaps the antenna for the alarm has come loose? I have no other idea what might be wrong. ouich

·
Registered
2,023 Posts
Sorry, Mark, but I've been doing more '02 manual reading this morning :3:
All I can say is, it says (pg 26) " you should use that key (master key not in regular use) approx. once every year while driving for an exteneded period to charge the battery" I have no idea how long an extended period is!

And on page 30 " External systems or devices may cause local interference in the functions of the remote control."

Okay I was going to say something smart here but I won't. hiha

Good luck!

Anita

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
Need4Spd said:
It's called a "battery" even in the manual, but I'm told it's really a capacitor. Anyway, he said it was on both FOBs so maybe it's on the car end. Perhaps the antenna for the alarm has come loose? I have no other idea what might be wrong. ouich
Even Capacitors break down after some time. I noticed on my car that the doors work fine, but the trunk button doesn't work as well.

Is it possibly an interference issue Mark? Are you parking somewhere different, or did you place a new cordless phone near the car???

:cheers:

·
Registered
116 Posts
Ridgeback_Pilot said:
Refresh my memory: Is there a battery in our keys that needs to be replaced periodically, or is it recharged by the car when the key is in the ignition?

Mike
Yes the keys have rechargeable batteries. According to the owners manual it suggests using your spare key once a month to keep the battery charged. So in my case I'm the only driver of my car so once a month I grab the spare key and recharge the battery.

Also, as part of Inspection II I understand that the service tech is supposed to change the battery in the keyfob...

Later...Mike

·
Registered
2,023 Posts
e39m5nut said:
Also, as part of Inspection II I understand that the service tech is supposed to change the battery in the keyfob...

Later...Mike
Where did you find out that bit about battery change being part of Inspection II? I'll like to be able to request it when it's time for my Inspection II.

Thanks!

·
Registered
116 Posts
Anita said:
Where did you find out that bit about battery change being part of Inspection II? I'll like to be able to request it when it's time for my Inspection II.

Thanks!
Anita, you'll see under the section Body/Electrical that they are supposed to replace the batteries...

I found this info at http://www.euroteknik.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2101

p.s. I'm still trying to come up with an innovative new use for the ski sack.

BMW MAINTANENCE: INSPECTION II
Date:
Mileage:

Inspection I

1. Undercarriage

 Change oil and oil filter
 Check transmission for leaks
 Check rear axle for leaks
 Visually check fuel tank, lines and connections for leaks
 Check condition, position, and mounting of exhaust system. Exam for leaks.
 Check power steering for leaks. Check fluid level, add if necessary.
 Check steering for absence of play, condition of suspension track rods, front axle joints, steering linkage and joint disc.
 Check overall thickness of front and rear disc brake pads using special tool. If replacement is necessary: Examine brake disk surfaces. Clean brake pad contact points in calipers. Grease wheel-centering hubs. Check thickness of parking brake linings only when replacing rear brake pads.
 Check brake system connections and lines for leaks, damage and incorrect positioning.
 Check for free movement of the parking brake cables. Adjust if necessary.
 Check all tire pressures (include spare). Correct if necessary. Check condition of tires (outer surface (left/right)), tread wear and pattern; in case of uneven tread wear, readjust wheel alignment if requested.

2. Engine Compartment

 Read out diagnostic system.
 Check engine cooling system/heater hose connections for leaks. Check coolant level and antifreeze protection level. Add coolant if required.
 Check level of brake/clutch fluid in reservoir. Add fluid if required.
 Check windshield washer fluid level and antifreeze protections. Fill up and/or correct if required.
 Check air conditioner for operation.
 Reset service indicator.

3. Body/Electrical

 Check battery electrolyte level and add distilled water if required.
 Perform battery load test.
 Check lighting system, i.e.: headlights, foglights, parking, back-up, license plate, interior (including map reading lights), glove box, flashlight, illuminated makeup mirrors, luggage compartment/area lights.
 Check instrument panel and dashboard illumination.
 Check all warning/indicator lights, check control.
 Check turn signals, hazard warning flashers, brake lights, horns, headlight dimmer and flasher switch.
 Check wipers and washer system(s); wiper blades, washer jet positions.
 Check condition and function of safety belts.
 Visually examine the SRS airbag units (Driver and front passenger) for torn cover, obvious damage or attachment of decals, decorations or accessories.
 Check central locking/double lock.
 Replace batteries for alarm remote controls in all master keys.
 Oil hood, trunk and door hinges. Grease hood, trunk/tailgate and door latches. Check operation of all latches.
 Replace microfilter. (Note: Reduce replacement interval in dusty operating conditions).
 Check heater/air conditioner blower, rear window defogger.
 Check rear view mirrors.

4. Final Inspection

 Road test with check of brakes, suspension, steering, clutch/manual transmission or automatic transmission.

Inspection II

1. Undercarriage

 Half-shafts: Check for leaks at flexible boots.
 Inspect entire body according to terms of rust perforation limited warranty. (Must be performed at least every two years).

2. Engine Compartment

 Replace spark plugs.
 Replace air cleaner element. (Note: reduce replacement interval in dusty operating conditions).

3. At Every Second Inspection II

 Change oil in manual transmission while at normal operating temperature.
 Change oil in rear axle while at normal operating temperature.
 Check clutch disc for wear.

4. Brake Fluid Service (Replace brake fluid every 2 years (time interval begins from the vehicles production date)

5. Cooling System Service (Replace coolant every 3 years (time interval begins from the vehicles production date)

6. Oxygen Sensor Service (Replace Oxygen Sensor every 100,000 miles)

·
Registered
2,023 Posts
e39m5nut said:
Anita, you'll see under the section Body/Electrical that they are supposed to replace the batteries...

I found this info at http://www.euroteknik.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2101

p.s. I'm still trying to come up with an innovative new use for the ski sack.

BMW MAINTANENCE: INSPECTION II
Date:
Mileage:

Inspection I

? Replace batteries for alarm remote controls in all master keys.
MIke, I'm not trying to bust your hump over this or anything, but on page 7 of my 2002 M5 Service and Warranty Booklet, it says under Inspection I, ''Recharge batteries for remote controls in all master keys" and nothing about the remote for Inspection II. Maybe it's different for different model years and for M Coupes??? Thanks a lot, now I'll have to dig out my M Coupe booklet :7: I didn't see on that site where Inspection II called for remote control battery replacements. I should check with BMW NA by phone or on the Owner's Circle for the latest--I've gotta call them anyway for something else.

Thanks again for the follow-up!!

Anita

Okay I got out my '01 M Coupe warranty book since that post you quoted was from a Couper--same deal, Inspection I "Recharge..". Inspection II, nothing. Okay, I like a good mystery--I'll see what else I can find on this

·
Registered
5,226 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Update

All,

I know you think it is the capacitor in the key fob that is the issue, but not so. You see it fails on both key fobs.

In any case, it is only the top button for unlocking the car that has no effect any more. I can unlock the trunk and relock the car just fine, but no unlocking.

Any guesses? I am sure it is a car and not a fob problem.

Thanks,

Mark

·
Registered
2,023 Posts
Mark,

Here's my last attempt short of recommending you take it to your Service Advisor for help.

This is the (complete) list of bulletins from www.alldata.com for your '01 M5.

Notice #2 under TSB Bulletins--"Keyless Entry..." Unfortunately you can't see what the bulletin actually says form this site, so you may need to have your SA look it up for you.

Anita

Automotive Recalls and Technical Service Bulletins for 2001 BMW M5 (E39) Sedan V8-4941cc 5.0L DOHC (S62).
Provided by ALLDATA

Click above To learn more about our Online Repair Information Product, ALLDATAdiy.com!

Bulletins for 2001 BMW M5 (E39) Sedan V8-4941cc 5.0L DOHC (S62)

Safety Recalls

TSB Number Issue Date TSB Title

1. 640701 DEC 01 Recall - Engine Auxiliary Cooling Fan Replacement
2. 360301 FEB 01 Recall - Tire Replacement

General Recalls

1. 110703 MAR 04 Campaign - Engine Low Oil Level Warning
2. 121400 AUG 01 Campaign - Incorrect DME Installed at Factory
3. 121400 NOV 00 Campaign - DME Replacement
4. 840600 AUG 00 Campaign - Navigation System Failure

Service Bulletins

1. 650104 APR 04 Radio - Reception Problems, Antenna Diagnosis
2. 6620003 OCT 03 Keyless Entry - Remote Won't Lock/Unlock Vehicle
3. 120603 JUN 03 Engine Controls/Emissions - OBD Readiness Code Setting
4. 840203 JAN 03 Navigation System - Volume Too Loud/Not Loud Enough
5. 651202 DEC 02 Audio System - Window Tint Affects Radio Reception
6. 650702 NOV 02 Audio System - Various Malfunctions
7. 160202 OCT 02 Emissions - Evaporative Emission Fault Diagnostics
8. 640202 MAY 02 Cooling System - Auxiliary Cooling Fan Noisy
9. 240202 APR 02 A/T - Hard Shifts/Leak at Torque Converter Seal
10. 340102 FEB 02 Interior - Park Brake Handle Paint Peeling
11. 210101 FEB 02 M/T - Popping/Clicking From Clutch Pedal
12. 640891 JAN 02 A/C - Musty Odors
13. 650599 JAN 02 Audio System - Radio Security Code Acquisition
14. 840102 JAN 02 Navigation System - Features/Software Update
15. 650901 DEC 01 Audio System - Radio Inoperable With Ignition OFF
16. 120199 DEC 01 Spark Plug (HP Platinum) - Application Chart
17. 360601 DEC 01 Tires - Pressure Setting Procedure
18. 510501 NOV 01 Air Bag Cover (Passenger) - Not Even With Dash
19. 651001 NOV 01 Instruments - Split Screen Board Monitor Setting
20. 110898 OCT 01 Engine - Oil Recommendations/Change Intervals
21. 110400 OCT 01 Engine - Oil Recommendations/Checking Procedure
22. 320301 OCT 01 Steering - Squealing/Groaning/Grinding Noise
23. 240198 SEP 01 A/T - Fluid Level Checking Procedure
24. 840601 AUG 01 Cellular Phone - Drains Vehicle Battery
25. 840701 AUG 01 Cellular Phone - Intermittent Malfunctions
26. 110401 JUL 01 Engine - Rattle Noise Coming from Front (VANOS area)
27. 320201 JUL 01 Steering Gear - Replacement Due to Accident Damage
28. 110101 JUN 01 Engine - MIL ON/Codes Set/Tapping/Rattling Noise
29. 841197 JUN 01 Navigation System - Numerous Failures/Malfunctions
30. 340201 MAR 01 Brake Caliper - Lubrication
31. 110201 MAR 01 Exhaust Gas Temperature Sensor - MIL ON/DTC 079
32. 630201 MAR 01 Light Bulb - Replacement Guidelines
33. 720101 MAR 01 Seat Belts - Click/Rattle From Upper Mount
34. 840201 FEB 01 Navigation System - Monitor Opens By Itself
35. 840201 FEB 01 Audio System - Delayed Sound/No Audio Display
36. 840101 FEB 01 Cellular Phone - No Volume Adjustment
37. 090101 FEB 01 Vehicle and Key - Memory Programming
38. 650400 FEB 01 Voice Input System - Improper Functioning
39. 630101 FEB 01 Xenon Lamp Bulb - Color Change After Operation
40. 640101 JAN 01 A/C System - Musty Odors
41. 611600 JAN 01 Battery - Maintenance
42. 650800 JAN 01 CD Changer - (Nakamichi ) Installation
43. 160400 DEC 00 Check Engine Lamp ON/DTC's Stored
44. 841200 DEC 00 Digital Cellular Phone - Training/Troubleshooting Manual
45. 111190 DEC 00 Engine - Oil Capacities With Filter Change
46. 110900 DEC 00 Engine Controls - False Low Oil Level Lamp Illumination
47. 410200 DEC 00 Interior - Wind Buffeting
48. 650300 DEC 00 Radio - Whine On AM Band
49. 110901 DEC 00 Thermal Oil Level Sensor - Operation and Diagnosis
50. 180299 NOV 00 Exhaust System - Back Pressure Checking Tool
51. 330200 NOV 00 Rear Differential - Whine Noise
52. 240900 OCT 00 A/T - Repair/Replacement Guidelines
53. 720897 OCT 00 Airbags - Deactivation
54. 241000 OCT 00 Engine Control Module - MS 43 Removal Precautions
55. 841100 SEP 00 Navigation System - Wide Screen Monitor
56. 650499 AUG 00 Audio System - Test CD/Tape
57. 610800 AUG 00 Electrical - Closed Circuit Current Measurement
58. 620400 AUG 00 IC Conversion - Km/h to Mph or Mph to Km/h
59. 230200 AUG 00 M/T - Oil Fill/Drain Plugs Updated
60. 840800 JUL 00 Accessory Navigation System - Information
61. 720200 JUL 00 Airbag Control Module - Warning Light ON/Codes Set
62. 510400 JUL 00 Door Sound/Vapor Barrier - Water Leaks
63. 610500 JUL 00 Electrical Connnectors - Stabilant 22A Contact Enhancer
64. 720399 JUL 00 Rear Airbag - Activation/Deactivation
65. 360200 JUL 00 Tires and Wheels - Applications
66. 610700 JUL 00 Windshield Wiper Blades - Noisy/Not Cleaning Well
67. 240800 MAY 00 A/T - Fault Code 48, TCC Solenoid
68. 160100 MAY 00 Fuel System - MIL ON, Tank Leakage Fault Codes
69. 110598 SEP 98 Crankcase Ventilation System - Diagnostic Information
70. 620279 NOV 79 Turn Signal Indicator - Inoperative/Circuit Change

·
Registered
2,023 Posts
e39m5nut said:
? Replace batteries for alarm remote controls in all master keys.
Maybe mystery solved??

Apparently the old style keys, pre '00 my SA thinks, actually did have a battery that was replacable--he showed me one of the keys and it has a compartment you can open on the backside of it.

D'uh, you can tell I haven't been around BMW's that long!

Anita

·
Registered
5,226 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Anita said:
Maybe mystery solved??

Apparently the old style keys, pre '00 my SA thinks, actually did have a battery that was replacable--he showed me one of the keys and it has a compartment you can open on the backside of it.

D'uh, you can tell I haven't been around BMW's that long!

Anita
Anita,

Batteries in the key fob's?! :confused3 I don't think so. I am told there are no batteries to replace in the key fob's. Perhaps you are using the keys from a Toyota to start your BMW? :haha:

Anyway, I still cannot get either key to work consistently. Has to be a car issue.

Could I be wrong?

Mark

·
Registered
694 Posts
Mah---> Are you saying that it is the mechanical aspect of the car unlocking or remotly turning on the alarm?

It might just be the little electric motor that actually unlocks the trunk when the key is depressed. I believe that when the key is inserted, a seperate linkage apart from the remote actuator, would be used to unlock trunk.

I haven't tried this but try to listen while the trunk is open and see if the motor sounds like it's working when pressing the remote. It just might be that the little motor got some grease on the contacts and doesn't have anough power to unlock the trunk under the pressure of being locked and closed.

What we need here is to find a pulication that describes the parts and functions of the trunk opening componets.

I sold my 5 series manual with the 530 i had, so i don't have one right now. The other thing is that when i had my M3 someone on the board sent me a TDK and parts manual, and some other CD-Roms that pertained to the specific model. it would be nice to have something like that for the M5.

Maybe something came loose where the trunk lock meets the thingy. You know the male female thing in the middle of the trunk. lol sorry i don't know what to call it. I'm sure you have already checked the allignment.

Or, have the dealership check it out and when they tell you whats wrong, replace the part yourself.

let us know :cool:

·
Registered
2,023 Posts
MAH said:
Anita,

Batteries in the key fob's?! :confused3 I don't think so. I am told there are no batteries to replace in the key fob's. Perhaps you are using the keys from a Toyota to start your BMW? :haha:

Anyway, I still cannot get either key to work consistently. Has to be a car issue.

Could I be wrong?

Mark
Mark,

Of course you never could be wrong or fickle or any of that. Ah... you all are going to drive me nuts cherrsagai

I think both you and Ocean may need reading glasses or to take off your shades indoors or something :cool2:

Mark, I realize there's no battery in the fob--I was just trying to clarifying that for MIke because he had posted something about replacing a battery.

And Ocean, I don't think he's saying there is anything wrong with the locking or unlocking of the trunk (?)

Okay here's what I would do:

FOR AN ON THE CHEAP OR DYI FIX:

--Search the forum for prior posts--you actually posted something about this in '03
http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=33743&highlight=remote+unlock
--Call BMW NA Custumer Relations 1-800-831-1117-slim chance they may have an idea or two for you
--Call you service advisor--get his advice and maybe ask him about TSB 6620003 Oct 03 to see if there's any info there
--If you're still under warranty--have your dealership "read" your key with the computer--this advice per my SA, who BTW has never seen this problem not key related--but there's always a first
--Keep bumping this post until some other board member can help, because we are all obviously dazed and confused :1: :1: :1:

BIG BUCK SOLUTION

--Hand your dealership the whole kit and caboodle and run like heck.

Okay, I going to start punching my special key fob so I can magically appear on one of those islands where you get fed grapes and bon bons and people fan you with palm tree branches :7:.... Have a nice weekend out there!

Anita

1 - 16 of 16 Posts