BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3,553 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I finally completed the install of my Boost-A-Pump system. For those of you that dont know, the theory of this system is to increase the voltage to the OEM fuel pump at certain Boost levels on up. This ensures more than adequate fuel reaches the monster and eliminates any possible lean conditions (unless you have system failure) In my case, it starts at 3psi boost. I had originally thought about this mod back when I installed the ESS system in January. At that time, I was talked out of it.

In doing some additional research, I came to the realization that Dinan does the install in their S3 system. Bottom line, for me, if Steve Dinan feels the system is warranted, than I want it.

I have attached photos for the finished product. I made the BS looking sheet metal 40 AMP Relay holder The most important thing that I can share with all of you is that if you purchase this setup and elect to do the mod, you need to follow Dinan's schematic, even though it seems against what Kenne-Bell has set up to work. The example I use is the cable that runs from the unit to the vacuum switch in the ECU box. KB supplies a red and black wringing harness to run to this point and is all that is required to activate this switch. Dinan, doesnt use it and runs + & - wires to it. Terrible waste of great wiring, but thats what they call for. Also, Dinan calls for you to cut of the Controller cable which allows adjustment of current / voltage to the fuel pump. Apparently, Dinan wants it "Pig Fat" in Kenne-Bells words. Anyway, it is a full day to do the install. If you follow Dinan's install to a tee, there are no wires that need to be run through the car. I didnt realize that until it was too late. :mad: :lightbulb:

Enjoy

When hooked up tp a meter, I saw maximum of 17.6 volts at 6,500 going to the pump.

Attachments

·
Registered
8,722 Posts
Congrats on the clean install Steve!

I'm a little confused, though, because I followed the Dinan instructions to the tee, and those do not contemplate the existence of the variable controller that comes with the newer version of the Boost-A-Pump, much less require cutting it off. At least, the version of the instructions I followed made no reference to it. Thus, I retained mine. The wires that the Dinan diagram that I had contemplate being cut and soldered together are the boost sensor wires. But those are just trigger wires, not the controller wires. What am I missing?

--Peter

·
Registered
3,553 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Congrats on the clean install Steve!

I'm a little confused, though, because I followed the Dinan instructions to the tee, and those do not contemplate the existence of the variable controller that comes with the newer version of the Boost-A-Pump, much less require cutting it off. At least, the version of the instructions I followed made no reference to it. Thus, I retained mine. The wires that the Dinan diagram that I had contemplate being cut and soldered together are the boost sensor wires. But those are just trigger wires, not the controller wires. What am I missing?

--Peter
Hi Peter, thanks. If you recall the schematic showed the 2 black wires (Sensor & controller) coming off the pump. In that schematic, Dinan calls for what appears to be the 2 wires to be cut and capped. Well, I didnt do that, I ran both to the front, with the controller being mounted in my glove box. Before I finalized everything, I called Dinan who said to cut both of them. Their preference was for the system to be on what you and I have determined to be "pig rich". By cutting the controller wire, or by simly not using it, the unit defaults to full rich.
Anyway, I called KB and they laughed. They didnt understand why Dinan just doesnt use the existing black/red wire for the trigger/sensor.

Never the less, Dinan does what they do for a reason. I still dont understand the use of a dual 40 amp relay.....But it works :M5thumbs:

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
Dragging this out from the dead -- I'm not able to find the Dinan S3 Kenne Bell BAP install directions anywhere on the forum. If anybody has them handy, I'd love a copy of them.

·
Registered
12,952 Posts
BAP

Dragging this out from the dead -- I'm not able to find the Dinan S3 Kenne Bell BAP install directions anywhere on the forum. If anybody has them handy, I'd love a copy of them.
I don't know if I can find the Dinan instructions but I do have the KB printed instructions. I can scan and send if you want those.

LMK.

Regards,
Jerry

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
I don't know if I can find the Dinan instructions but I do have the KB printed instructions. I can scan and send if you want those.

LMK.

Regards,
Jerry
Jerry -- thanks; I just found the Dinan directions buried in another thread. I imagine the official directions come with the BAP, so I should be good.

·
Registered
12,952 Posts
Jerry -- thanks; I just found the Dinan directions buried in another thread. I imagine the official directions come with the BAP, so I should be good.
OK.

FWIW, I left the setup w the KB controller. I found that full rich makes the car a little soft at lower rpm. I typically run about 40% for the street. Control box is in the glove compartment.

I also have mine set to go at 5 psi, same as my meth setup. I think I had to get a different pressure switch, stock was 3 psi.

Regards,
Jerry

Reactions: havasusteve03Beast

·
Registered
6,014 Posts
The "regular" Boost a Pump instructions are very easy; unfortunately the "regular" instructions won't work for a M5 with stock fuel pump wiring. Because supercar.....

Attached are what you need for an M5 (NOTE: THE COLORS ON THE NON-BMW RELAYS ARE WRONG FOR STANDARD RELAYS, they must be for some Dinan-magic relays, but it is easy to figure out what they meant):

FWIW, I'm not convinced that the above wiring diagram is the way to go, but I'll leave that for somebody else to argue.

Non-supercar instructions:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts