BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Just paid for a set of 292 duration cams for my M6 today. The exact cam set that is used in the M5 Cammed by Kelleners vs M5 Stock

Previous posts of races shown below for those of you that have not seen them yet:

1) http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=82176&highlight=kelleners

2) http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=71606&highlight=kelleners

I should have the cam set in 7 days.

I tried to pick up a set of the more aggressive 296 duration for more "top end of the power band" power, but I hear that Schrick does not have them at this time and may not produce another run of 296s in the future.

So I chose to go with what was available. Anyhow the 292s should be at me soon and I plan to do the install and then make a trip back to Acitve Autowerke for additional ECU tuning to see if they can squeeze some more power out of the car after the cam install. I will also see if they are successful this time in raising the rev limiter a bit.

After a lengthy conversation with the Mr. Kelleners himself, I was told they dyno'd their test cars with the 292 cams, air cleaner replacement in the factory box (like a K & N) (he said the filter barely showed a difference on the dyno), and high flow cats. The car after these mods were in place produced about 540 peak hp.

They say that the 292 cams are showing a solid 15 kw (peak) on their dyno (but the dyno jet I will be using in Miami may show different readings)

Anyhow according to a Kelleners dyno sheet I received the reading at 5000 rpm shows a gain of 54 kw. (All the postings on this board claiming Kelleners cams are producing 55 hp are not correct). Kelleners posted dyno runs are in kw not hp. For those who are not aware kw IS DIFFERENT THAN hp.

Power (kW) = Power (HP) x 0.7457 = which means the car gains 72 engine HP at 5000 RPM (THATS SICKENING!) This will really "wake up" around town driving and give the car more punch at lower RPMs with less throttle.

At the peak rpm of 8250 the Kellners dyno shows 15 kw of power.
Power (kW) = Power (HP) x 0.7457 = 20 engine HP

So in a drag or quarter mile race, your RPM always stays between 6000-8250 rpm. So we should see an average increase of 20-30 HP across this rpm range) .....20-30 hp is enough power to pull car lengths on another M5/M6 car without the cams.

So bottom line with all my mods

1) Supersprint Headers
2) Supersprint Cats
3) Active ECU
4) Dinan 3.91
My total HP is documented on the dyno is now at 551 (459 whp in 91 degree F weather)

With the next modification:
5) 292 Cams w/ tune - I project 570 HP +/- (475 whp approx. +/-)

In the next few weeks, I will be posting photographs of the cam installation and will post BEFORE and AFTER dyno runs.

THEN, I am buying a new set of sticky tires (mine are pulvarized) and then I am off to Moroso Motorsports Track for test Quarter Mile runs. I will also post my time slips on the board as well. Hopefully [email protected] ???

OK All that aside...........

I need some suggestions for THE ABSOLUTE MOST STICKIEST TIRE available on the market so I can maintain traction and launch as hard as possible for the best time. Dont know if I want to go with drag radials since I might break the M6 tranny or drive shafts. (I know someone with a stock C6 ZO6 that ran 12.2 @ 119 on street tires seven months ago. Since he was spinning too much he dropped a set of drag radials on and returned to the track and broke his half shaft (where the wheel connects to the diff) during one of his launches due to the extreme grip from the tires. He turned an 11.8 @ 120 doing so before he broke the car.

Dont know if the M6 SMG and drivetrain can handle the extra HP/TQ in S6 with the additional tire grip during such extreme launches. So, I may want to avoid the drag radials.......

....BUT, I do want a tire with some serious "grip" that will replace the exact factory size rears.

Any ideas on tires????

Keith

·
Registered
8 Posts
You are the man!!!!

What is the exact model from schrick & who are you using for the install?

I called kelleners & they said that the cams were on the road map with no specific date, so I didn't pursue any further.

I am running the SS setup also!!!!:thumbsup:

Anyway look forward to your results!!!!

Michael16

IB 2006
all options
Full SS exhaust

·
Registered
332 Posts
I wouldn't bother with drag radials if you want to keep the same tire size.... to really benefit from drag radials or a really sticky tire you'll need to drop the rim diameter some to increase the profile of the tire and get some flex in there....

I pulled 1.6x short times at Moroso on stock Michelin Pilots in my Viper.... It's all about the track prep and getting a good launch.... if the track isn't prepped well you'll have a hard time with any street tire/drag radial....

I'm setting up a private rental at moroso next month....... similar to last year.... a good mix of about 12-15 cars....

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Keith, more great stuff. I think your car has got to be in the top 2 or 3 for most aggressive mods. Highly applauded. So, I am just curious what the engine would do with all these mods and a 100 shot? Can you ask active what they would think of that - would it still be pretty safe? I know a 100 shot without all these mods seems to be pretty safe and produces huge gains. Combined with your setup, I guess it would be just insane.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Michael16 said:
You are the man!!!!

What is the exact model from schrick & who are you using for the install?

I called kelleners & they said that the cams were on the road map with no specific date, so I didn't pursue any further.

I am running the SS setup also!!!!:thumbsup:

Anyway look forward to your results!!!!

Michael16

IB 2006
all options
Full SS exhaust
Kelleners did say they did not have the cams available. But they were able to locate only one set. Keep in touch with them....or stay tuned to my results first if you want to gauge how effective the upgrade indeed is from a non-biased standpoint.

jfenley: a 100 shot shouldnt be a problem at all. Not in my plans though since I want 100% of the power at the pedal ALWAYS. As a well-know professional bodybuilder once said, once you train with anabolic steroids, you can never train again without them and feel like a real man.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Be great to have some pics of the cam install. I haven't seen the V10 engine torn down. Don't know if they can get the cams in with the engine still in the car, but assume so.

These mods are totally awesome. A good pic diary of the process would be really cool...

Keep up the good work. BTW, glad you are picking up the bill on all this and not me.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
SC'dKellenersM5 said:
good pickup...

If you are having the cams installed at AA and its going to be dyno'd there, last I knew they ran a Mustang dyno and not a Dyno Jet.
The cams will be installed through a BMW tech outside BMW. Active Autowereke only has a Mustang Dyno. But they do have access to a Dyno Jet through a shop up the road from them.

·
Registered
2,289 Posts
KeithTa said:
The cams will be installed through a BMW tech outside BMW. Active Autowereke only has a Mustang Dyno. But they do have access to a Dyno Jet through a shop up the road from them.

Ahh....well if i were you, have AA dyno it, as you will gather a much more realistic (but lower number) than the dynojet.

·
Registered
205 Posts
How much?

thats what I want to know, how much?$$$$

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
MGUY said:
what the price of the cams?
$2400. The bigger expense will be in the install. I got a guy to put them in for about $1500. Would likely cost $2500 in a full retail shop.

Anyhow, Lets see what the HP and TQ numbers are....either which way, this mod may very well be worth it for the money spent.

Keith

·
Registered
118 Posts
Sounds awesome dude. Bring that badboy to the Track and post up some numbers. I'm sure you would smoke any AMG (except for the 65's lol)

1 - 20 of 34 Posts