BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
729 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all- Opinions from all please. So my dilemma here is I have far too many cars for the amount of driving I do. I've put 1700 miles on the M5 in the last year, have driven it twice so far Since April 1st, so I'm in a bit of a bind. I'd really like to add a lambo to the stable, I just don't really think having two cars I barely drive would be good to have at the same time. So, for whoever either owns one of each, owns either of the two, or possibly someone who owned one then and has the other now, what do you guys think? This question has zero to do with affordability, solely on if you could choose one car to own that you didn't drive often, which would it be. Oh, and the car I'm talking about would likely be a Gallardo, 09-10.

·
Registered
267 Posts
If you have family and kids to haul around, then keep the M5. If not, then get the Lambo for sure. Lambos are more "exotic" than our M5s. There are many Lambos at Supercar Saturday if you want to talk to the owners in person for about anything.

·
Registered
729 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have an Escalade and an F10 328i for daily driving. Hauling things or people, not on my mind! haha

T

·
0 Posts
Based on the car stable you are telling us you already have, I would think you would have enough money to keep the M5 along with all your other cars and get a Gallardo.

A Gallardo is an exotic car and most who will buy 09 or 10 will be paying cash for it because they are too old to really get a decent loan for them now. To pay cash for that car, you would typically have all your other cars paid off first.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
729 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I wouldn't be looking to finance the car regardless what it was. The thought did cross my mind on just adding and keeping the M5. I need to go drive one and see how similarly they drive as well. Lp640 would be ideal but not sure I want to spend that much, trying to buy a place In Florida for the winter and 200k might be too steep for my budget!

T

·
0 Posts
I bought an 08 lp640 for $140 a few months back. Pm me if you need help finding one. There is an unbelievable markup on selling exotics

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Read Only
1,256 Posts
I'm a few years out but was looking casually at similar options. Originally thought I'd keep the m5 as a weekender (it is now my dd) and get something else for DD slash project car. But I've got a craving for somehow else. So started looking at Ferrari, Lamborghini, and Porsche gt3. My income is highly variable so no idea how the cards will fall over the next few years but figured I should start reading and researching models and years. Will be curious to see what you end up doing.

·
Registered
240 Posts
I would get the lambo, just because you flip from the wolf in sheeps clothing to... WOLF. Love the m5, but you have lots of cars and for a fun ride, why not get the "exotic"?

·
Registered
306 Posts
Depends on what you're looking for. Haven't had any experience first hand driving a Gallardo but as Troy already said above, it would seem that they drive essentially the same as an M6 (couple of comparisons out there that rate them essentially the same, with the M6 matching or bettering the early Gallardo's performance). Wouldn't necessarily call them a performance bargain but then again, that really isn't everything is it?

Again, it really depends on what you want - do you want an exotic for investment purposes or just as a weekend warrior, possibly even a classic, not really caring if prices go up or down? Seeing as you're pretty set on a Lambo, I'd recommend a Superleggera (if you want a more track-oriented/focused V10 supercar) or maybe even a Spyder if it's just for the weekends & you want something newer.

Most important thing is to take time and look at the plethora of exotics that are out there now. Get what suits you best.

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
Strictly my opinion, but if I were getting an exotic, it wouldn't be a car that driver similar to the M5/6 but rather more exotic like a Ferrari 458 Italia, or McLaren 650S.

·
Registered
729 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for the all the input so far, definitely love the idea of a spyder, and am definitely considering one. As far as the 458 or mclaren go, an MP4 or 458 are both 200k or more so that's a little more than I'd want to spend, although both would be amazing cars. I'm trying to keep the budget around 100k.

·
Registered
345 Posts
for fun and driving pleasure ...... Older Lamborghini Diablo SV ......... recently drove it ...... probably the best exotic car ... handling and control wise made .....

Also sell the M5 and maybe put that money and get a better exotic .......

·
Registered
729 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
After Troy mentioned the cost of an LP640 in the 140k range, that seems to be what I'm leaning towards. Just need to see if I can find one at that price.

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
It depends what year lambo. If it's something other than 09 and up, it's not worth it. F430 and up would be worth it though.

Like Kazakh said, if I was getting another car, I'd definitely get something that wasn't like the M5 because otherwise there is no point. I'd look at Ferrari.

·
Registered
729 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I used to own a 360 Spyder, and I wasn't a complete fan of it. The Lp640 would be an 08 or newer, and if a Gallardo, an 09+. A 458 Italia would be great, but those are a little too pricey at this point. MP4-12C is always an option, depending how long I can get one at the auction.

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
I used to own a 360 Spyder, and I wasn't a complete fan of it. The Lp640 would be an 08 or newer, and if a Gallardo, an 09+. A 458 Italia would be great, but those are a little too pricey at this point. MP4-12C is always an option, depending how long I can get one at the auction.
360 was a crappy car. The spider was even worse. But Ferrari's have changed ever since the F430.

F430 and 458 are very good.

·
Registered
2,198 Posts
what about an Audi R8 V10? i hear those are great daily drivers as well...

i had the pleasure of driving one (we did a full clear bra job on it and the owner let me drive it) it was a ton of fun. really nice care in and out...sound was amazing and the trans was top notch...

·
Registered
729 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I have thought about an R8, they seem to be holding their value very well. I just want something that looks really exotic and I don't think R8 really does.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts