BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
622 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm getting fed up with my dealer.

This will be the THIRD time I am bringing my car in for the same issue.

My passenger side mirror is not returning to the correct position after I put the car back into gear from reverse.

The first time they "reprogrammed the mirror" and it was fixed - it was not.
The second time they "replaced mirror motor and reprogrammed" again claiming it was fixed - it was not.

I'm also having them address the steering wheel clicking issue which they fixed once. The tech lubed up a bearing in the steering column that fixed the issue for about 3 weeks, it is once again clicking.

I'm really losing my patience here and getting sick of going to the dealership over and over again.

Also the dummy tech spotted some oil on my valve cover, it was from a previous moron tech not putting my oil fill cap on properly which caused oil to spew out of the valve cover and all down the side of the engine.

He thought it was a leak and replaced my valve cover gasket.. great..

·
Registered
737 Posts
My passenger side mirror is not returning to the correct position after I put the car back into gear from reverse.

The first time they "reprogrammed the mirror" and it was fixed - it was not.
The second time they "replaced mirror motor and reprogrammed" again claiming it was fixed - it was not.

Join the club on this one. When going from reverse to drive the passenger mirror moves slightly inward. Within a couple of days the mirror is looking way too far inward and must be repositioned.

The dealer reprogrammed the mirror then replaced the entire mirror and motor with no resolution. I essentially gave up on this one with the dealer. I have no interest in them trying to find the bug any further upstream in the electronics. Who knows what new gremlins they would create with that.

Anyone have this problem fixed? I think I posted about this issue about a year ago, but to no avail...

DB

·
Registered
6,353 Posts
Sometimes I wonder how these idiots become BMW certified?

·
Registered
2,068 Posts
i have the same problem.

after returning from the reverse position, it does not rerurn to where it was before. a quick push of the memoery button brings it back. sounds like a 'feature' to me not an actual defect in your particular car.

·
Registered
17 Posts
The way the mirror position memory works is it measures the resistance through the mirror motor positon and records it. When you use reverse and the motor attemps to return to original position if there is any additional resistance in the circuit it will interpret this as the position and not return the mirror properly. The same goes for the memory button although if there is additional resistance when the memory button is pressed it will not return to the correct position. Also if you press the memory button more than once you will see the mirror twitch. I would recommend removing the A-Pillar connector which is easy to do with an 8mm socket and have a look at that connection to make sure there is no corrosion from moisture. Hope this helps!!

·
Registered
6,353 Posts
Just out of curiosity, do you use only one key?

·
Registered
737 Posts

·
Registered
737 Posts
The way the mirror position memory works is it measures the resistance through the mirror motor positon and records it. When you use reverse and the motor attemps to return to original position if there is any additional resistance in the circuit it will interpret this as the position and not return the mirror properly. The same goes for the memory button although if there is additional resistance when the memory button is pressed it will not return to the correct position. Also if you press the memory button more than once you will see the mirror twitch. I would recommend removing the A-Pillar connector which is easy to do with an 8mm socket and have a look at that connection to make sure there is no corrosion from moisture. Hope this helps!!

Mine has been doing it since I bought it brand new, MY 08. Doubt it came with any corrosion.

Mine does it (not every time) when it is returning from the down position. About one third of the time, when it comes back to the up position I can see the mirror move just a fraction of an inch inward. Over a week or so of this type of cycling, the mirror ends up positioned too much inward.

DB

·
Premium Member
2,217 Posts
Mine has been doing it since I bought it brand new, MY 08. Doubt it came with any corrosion.

Mine does it (not every time) when it is returning from the down position. About one third of the time, when it comes back to the up position I can see the mirror move just a fraction of an inch inward. Over a week or so of this type of cycling, the mirror ends up positioned too much inward.

DB
I think every M5 owner has this issue.. or most.

The correct way to posisition your mirrors when driving is so that when looking into the left and right mirror you see only the road with the very slightest edge of your car visible. So in the left mirror, you may see the edge of your rear door/door handle. This is how I drive. When parking, I get very, very serious especially because I have HRE wheels! My work around is to keep the mirror reverse function OFF. In some situations, when I need to see the bottom of the car in tight parking spots, I will raise myself out of my seat with my arm leaning on the center console and my head around the passenger seat area to see what I need to see in order to park without hitting a rim. This sounds crazy, but it's not a big deal.. and most situations don't require me to do that.

If anyone doesn't know, the L&R mirror adjustment switch controls the reverse-mirror function. Keeping the switch in the LEFT or RIGHT position enables/disables the feature. I am going to guess the RIGHT disables the mirror-tilt feature. I always keep it disabled.

·
Registered
141 Posts
I don't know if this solves your problem or not, but I just turn the feature of moving the mirror off. To do that, leave the mirror adjuster switch to the right and the mirror won't go down when you go to reverse. I personally prefer it that way since I know exactly where my wheels are when I am backing up and I'd rather make sure I am lined up straight than rubbing the curb.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts