BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
627 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys I have a 2008 e60 M5 with only 25k miles on it, all stock...
Do I keep and enjoy or make the big move up $$ to the m5 ?

Thoughts - I drove 2013 550i sport today and car felt big and heavy, like a 7 series -- will I feel this way about m5
also, slight changes coming to 2014 m5 -- so do I consider buying a 2013 knowing that 2014 will have slight changes? I mean I don't want to spend near 100k and already have an outdated car.

Can I justify the newer model slightly with increased MPG - I average 12 mpg now.

Thoughts?

thank you

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
The F10 M5 is definitely heavy. However, it has tons of grip and acquits itself very well in the twisties. I never owned an E60 M5 (I had an E39 M5) so it is hard for me to give you the pros and cons of each. For me, it was surprising that the F10 M5 loves to rev (you might be disappointed given the free revving V10 you are accustomed to) considering the twin turbo V8. My previous Nissan GT-R wasn't as rev happy as the F10 M5 is and I can't think of a car I have owned that liked to rev as much as the F10 M5. The F10 M5 is loaded with features and amenities with the Executive package. It almost seems more luxury oriented ...especially when you leave the settings in comfort/efficient mode. I have been getting around 17mpg in mixed driving.

As far as waiting until next year, the changes are so subtle that it may not be worth the wait. It comes down to personal preference. I wanted to enjoy the car now and I purchased it at a decent price so I am not second guessing myself. The dealers may not be willing to deal as much on the 2014 models until deep into next year.

Good luck with whatever you decide!

·
Banned
561 Posts
If it was me...I would definitely keep the e60 m5. ..the f10 looks more like a 7 series. ..but still like the car. ..but if I was in your situation I would go for the f12 m6...love that one....just my opinion. .....

·
Registered
2,586 Posts
I would wait until the 2014 comes out. Three reasons: 1. Ensures all hang-ups from the 2013 model year are ironed out. Although they likely are hashed out, you just never know what gremlin could creep up to plague the 2013 models. 2. 2014 models will have the latest/greatest, albeit subtle, changes. Personally, I like the new semi-squared off angel eyes. And 3. It'll give you some more time to enjoy that NA V10! At this point, all you'll have to decide is whether or not you want the competition package :deal:

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
I am thinking of going after the F10 also. Hopefully this time next year I could afford one and the 2014 will be almost a year old. The only thing I would like to do is the Euro delivery for the car.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Well I had a 08 550. All the m5's I drove we're great except for the transmission. I've had my n5 since November and passed over a gtr and a gt3 to get this. I'm totally satisfied with my purchase. comfort luxury and sporty. And did I mention that an aftermarket exhaust just adds a smile to your face on this one.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Anyone who says "don't get the new M5" doesn't own one. Every day I drive this car my smile gets bigger and bigger. And I'm coming from an e39 which is an amazing car.

The 2014 changes are mild. If you prefer those little differences then go for it. If you don't care about them then you'll get a great deal on a 2013 like I did.

This car is amazing. period.

·
Banned
561 Posts
Anyone who says "don't get the new M5" doesn't own one. Every day I drive this car my smile gets bigger and bigger. And I'm coming from an e39 which is an amazing car.

The 2014 changes are mild. If you prefer those little differences then go for it. If you don't care about them then you'll get a great deal on a 2013 like I did.

This car is amazing. period.
That's your opinion only...read the thread about if you have regrets of upgrading to the f10...and then you will know

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
That's your opinion only...read the thread about if you have regrets of upgrading to the f10...and then you will know
I think you should go back and read that thread as well. This time count how many OWNERS regret getting the F10 M5. Almost all of the negative comments come from people who have never owned an F10 M5 and likely have never even driven one (they use the generic arguments about being heavy...which it is and "less M"). The F10 M5 is far from perfect, but I believe it is better than anything else offered by any other manufacturer currently.yes the E60's V10 was special.... but the automotive world is changing. Fuel consumption and emissions standards around the world are making it harder and harder for manufacturers to comply so the use of forced induction is becoming more prevalent in this segment.

·
Banned
561 Posts
I think you should go back and read that thread as well. This time count how many OWNERS regret getting the F10 M5. Almost all of the negative comments come from people who have never owned an F10 M5 and likely have never even driven one (they use the generic arguments about being heavy...which it is and "less M"). The F10 M5 is far from perfect, but I believe it is better than anything else offered by any other manufacturer currently.yes the E60's V10 was special.... but the automotive world is changing. Fuel consumption and emissions standards around the world are making it harder and harder for manufacturers to comply so the use of forced induction is becoming more prevalent in this segment.
Ok...I talk with proof. .check this out

Attachments

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
Ok...I talk with proof. .check this out
"A little disappointed...not totally..but a little" to you sounds like a huge regret? It isn't a glowing review but it isn't one of deep regret either. There are many, many more positive reviews in that thread.

·
Banned
561 Posts
"A little disappointed...not totally..but a little" to you sounds like a huge regret? It isn't a glowing review but it isn't one of deep regret either. There are many, many more positive reviews in that thread.
I know what your saying. .but understand my point...in his opinion he feels faster and he feels that the e60 was better build. ..but don't get me wrong. .if someone wants to swap cars and he give me a f10 for my e60 I would do it in a hart beat...but in my opinion the e60 sounds so much better ...so if I have to buy a new one...I prefer to keep the e60 just for how it feels and sounds...and I wouldn't have to have a bigger debt. ..btw ..I prefer the f12 m6 ..I think it looks much better...but just my opinion

·
Banned
561 Posts
And read the reason's why he is a little disappointed

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
I know what your saying. .but understand my point...in his opinion he feels faster and he feels that the e60 was better build. ..but don't get me wrong. .if someone wants to swap cars and he give me a f10 for my e60 I would do it in a hart beat...but in my opinion the e60 sounds so much better ...so if I have to buy a new one...I prefer to keep the e60 just for how it feels and sounds...and I wouldn't have to have a bigger debt. ..btw ..I prefer the f12 m6 ..I think it looks much better...but just my opinion
We each have our own personal preferences and priorities. It is luxury to have all these great choices in the high performance car market. You likely aren't going to see a naturally aspirated V10 in a new sedan costing under $100k ever again.

So now in the high performance sports sedan segment the choices are V8 (C63), V8TTs (M5, Audi S/RS, MB AMGs) and SC V8s (CTS-V and Jag XFR/S). None of which are going to give you the same F1 sound of the V10... especially the turbo V8s as the turbos do muffle the exhaust quite a bit. So if you want/need a new sports sedan you are buying into a market that doesn't suit your preferences and in your instance it makes sense to keep the E60. In my case, I became a torque addict and also am a fan of DCT transmissions and I wanted and needed a new sedan with luxury amenities. So the M5 is car very well suited to my current preferences.

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
And read the reason's why he is a little disappointed
I did and also know that he has done some mods since he wrote that post. I too prefer a little more "rawness" to my cars and that is why I usually mod them to my liking. I am not sure if he had a modded E60 M5 which would be a bitt of an unfair comparison by comparing a stock (off the rack) car to a modded (tailored) one.

·
Banned
561 Posts
We each have our own personal preferences and priorities. It is luxury to have all these great choices in the high performance car market. You likely aren't going to see a naturally aspirated V10 in a new sedan costing under $100k ever again.

So now in the high performance sports sedan segment the choices are V8 (C63), V8TTs (M5, Audi S/RS, MB AMGs) and SC V8s (CTS-V and Jag XFR/S). None of which are going to give you the same F1 sound of the V10... especially the turbo V8s as the turbos do muffle the exhaust quite a bit. So if you want/need a new sports sedan you are buying into a market that doesn't suit your preferences and in your instance it makes sense to keep the E60. In my case, I became a torque addict and also am a fan of DCT transmissions and I wanted and needed a new sedan with luxury amenities. So the M5 is car very well suited to my current preferences.
Like I said..I understand what you are saying...and respect your opinion.....just enjoy whatever we like...and enjoy your machine. .I still think the f10 is an amazing machine...

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
About this Discussion
29 Replies
17 Participants
dpmenzer
BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums
M5Board is the best forum community for information on the BMW M5 E60 (V-10), E39 (V-8), E34 (straight 6), E28, F90 and F10. Discuss performance, specs, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing