BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With my '00 M5 I purchased a few years ago came a K40 installed with front and rear sensors. However, I seem to notice that the rear goes off more than the front, even when I sometimes see a police with radar ahead of me.
First and foremost, is this a good radar or are there better alternatives? Second, any idea why the rear signal goes off more frequently than the front?
Thanks,
TripleD

·
Registered
267 Posts
The following is a WAG but...

I got my 01 the same way except I just have front it works well but I had to reposition it, BEHIND the spoiler not behind the headlight, I would suspect your front unit is mounted behind some metal there by reducing the range ALOT. Find it, about a 2x2 unit and reposition it behind some plastic, I mounted mine to the bottom of the spoiler, mind the position, ie try to mount it fairly straight ahead and level.

The rear is usually mounted in the bumper cover which is plasitc, hence the better reception.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Also remember that a radar detector is nothing more than a receiver and antenna calibrated for a specific frequency. Like any other antenna, the higher on the vehicle it is located, the better the reception, or in this case sensitivity will be.

I'm owned just about every brand of radar detector and have settled on Valentime One as my detector of choice. Other might disagree, but it is what works best for me, in my cars, in my situation, and with my style of driving.

Is that enough disclaimers?:haha:

See ya on the road......

·
Registered
45 Posts
icsfsedod said:
I'm owned just about every brand of radar detector and have settled on Valentime One as my detector of choice. Other might disagree, but it is what works best for me, in my cars, in my situation, and with my style of driving......
I agree. I used to sell K40's in my custom install business a few years ago. Why? Because the mark-ups were HUGE and the PROFIT was incredible. But if you saw the wiring quality, the LEDs, the packaging, etc. you'd know weren'tas well built as other brands.

One weekend I hooked up a V1, a K40, and a cheap Bell, all on my dash, all with the same visibility though the windshield, then went looking for radar traps (not hard in Ohio at the time). Each time I found a radar trap, I'd circle back and power up one of the detectors then drive slowly through the trap noting where I first got warning and how strong it was. The top of the line K40 (retailing at the time for about $1K w/custom installation - YES, Thank you!) was worse than the cheap Bell and nothing compared to the V1. I wouldn't risk my license with one, even if it came with the car.

Note: Not the case with their laser detecting licence plate unit - that always seemed a good product (assuming you're not first in line for the laser).

I got my personal K40 for free...and wouldn't use it. That should tell you something. This was several years ago of course and the K40 radar may be better now.....

V1 best suits my driving.

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Mspeeding said:
I agree. I used to sell K40's in my custom install business a few years ago. Why? Because the mark-ups were HUGE and the PROFIT was incredible. But if you saw the wiring quality, the LEDs, the packaging, etc. you'd know weren'tas well built as other brands.

One weekend I hooked up a V1, a K40, and a cheap Bell, all on my dash, all with the same visibility though the windshield, then went looking for radar traps (not hard in Ohio at the time). Each time I found a radar trap, I'd circle back and power up one of the detectors then drive slowly through the trap noting where I first got warning and how strong it was. The top of the line K40 (retailing at the time for about $1K w/custom installation - YES, Thank you!) was worse than the cheap Bell and nothing compared to the V1. I wouldn't risk my license with one, even if it came with the car.

Note: Not the case with their laser detecting licence plate unit - that always seemed a good product (assuming you're not first in line for the laser).

I got my personal K40 for free...and wouldn't use it. That should tell you something. This was several years ago of course and the K40 radar may be better now.....

V1 best suits my driving.
Great feedback and thank you. I'm not sure where the rear is located, but the front is visible and not blocked by any plastic/metal. I've a sneaky suspicion it was purchased/installed by the dealer. I will have to check the V1 soon.
TripleD

1 - 5 of 5 Posts