BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just Installed my K&N typhoon intake on Monday. This morning i start my car and it sais "Increased Emissions Fault" and the "Service Engine Soon" lights go on. I went to BMW today and they said i have to reprogram something in the engine for 200-300 dollars. Is this true or are they just trying to bend me over. Anyone else have this problem with their intakes?

·
Registered
4,405 Posts
This has been a common "problem" with the K&Ns. I do not think it has anything to do with a re-programming. Yous can search this, but if I recall the concensus was live with the fault or get rid of the K&Ns. Other good options are the RPI Scoops with drop ins and now ASR has a bad @ss intake available.

·
Registered
3,263 Posts
The K&N's have had these issues ongoing for awhile. So members have mentioned about power loss but not very sure on that.

You appear to be in the South Florida area, drop by ASR and meet Abid. Have a talk. Give him a call to make sure he'll be there (786) 258-0009.
He can checkout the fault code you have.

Cheers,
Ranger

·
Registered
374 Posts
I too had the typhoon and suffered with the errors until returning the kit to K&N and went with RPI's Intake system. Just as good, but miss the "Growly" sound of the Typhoon. Something to do with the tolerance map of the MAF sensors, the typhoon flows more air than stock so MAF is out of paramater and will get errors. Some cars don't get the error so who really knows. Good luck

·
Registered
663 Posts
I too had the typhoon and suffered with the errors until returning the kit to K&N and went with RPI's Intake system. Just as good, but miss the "Growly" sound of the Typhoon. Something to do with the tolerance map of the MAF sensors, the typhoon flows more air than stock so MAF is out of paramater and will get errors. Some cars don't get the error so who really knows. Good luck
There are a couple of reasons as to why the emissions light and CEL's are coming on with the K&N Intake. The factory BMW ambient air temp sensor and intake air temp sensors work off of eachother. They both need to stay within a specified range of eachother. If these values fall out of range, this will cause an emissions light to turn on. Another reason is the fact that they remove the factory air diffuser screen in their intake design. This is a big problem since it is designed to reduce aerodynamic tumble (restrictive turbulence). This will cause unequalized volume of airflow to the mass meters, thereby triggering a CEL.

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
Just reset the ECU yourself, all you need to do is disconnect the battery and leave it over night and just simply reconnect it in the morning. We've sold many of these intakes, and a very few percentage of people have this issue. Fortunately none of our customers have had this problem.

·
Registered
3,967 Posts
Just reset the ECU yourself, all you need to do is disconnect the battery and leave it over night and just simply reconnect it in the morning. We've sold many of these intakes, and a very few percentage of people have this issue. Fortunately none of our customers have had this problem.
But that not a real solution because it will re-appear again. 22pages of discussion here somewhat gave me a clue that most people still having problem with typhoon beside losing power but great sound though, http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/e60-m5-e61-m5-touring-discussion/102236-k-n-new-typhoon-21.html

·
Registered
703 Posts
I get this fault all the time (once a month at least) and it goes away on its own. Dealership couldn't pin down a problem. Had it both before and after my Rogue exhaust and RPi scoops/BMC filters.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Just Installed my K&N typhoon intake on Monday. This morning i start my car and it sais "Increased Emissions Fault" and the "Service Engine Soon" lights go on. I went to BMW today and they said i have to reprogram something in the engine for 200-300 dollars. Is this true or are they just trying to bend me over. Anyone else have this problem with their intakes?

I had the same problem after installing the K&N Typhoon Kit ..
I was told after I called about the CEL that K&N is aware of this problem ..

Anyways I removed the kit and replaced it with the stock air boxes ...

I recently contacted RPI and Eloy got me into their RAM Air Kit ...
Very happy with the set-up, M5 feels good, and there are no CEL issues ..

Thanks Eloy!!

·
Registered
12 Posts
I had engineering teams from both BMW (lead US field engineer) and Dinan look into this problem.

Here is their analysis:

The proximity of the air injection tube (for the secondary air system) to the right MAF sensor causes a reduction in primary air flow during a cold start.
This causes the ECU to incorrectly adjust the air/fuel mixture to the right cylinder bank.
The resulting air/fuel mixture is outside the acceptable range for cold start emissions.
An error is recorded by the ECU, and the "Increased Emissions" warning message and "Service Engine Soon" light are illuminated.

The engineers who conducted this analysis have indicated that this is a design flaw with the M5 Typhoon Air Intake System (69-2003TFK).

I returned the Typhoon Air Intake System and received a full refund.

I am now running the Dinan High Flow Air Mass Meters and Intakes - these work extremely well, and don't cause ECU issues.

·
Registered
2,066 Posts
I had engineering teams from both BMW (lead US field engineer) and Dinan look into this problem.

Here is their analysis:

The proximity of the air injection tube (for the secondary air system) to the right MAF sensor causes a reduction in primary air flow during a cold start.
This causes the ECU to incorrectly adjust the air/fuel mixture to the right cylinder bank.
The resulting air/fuel mixture is outside the acceptable range for cold start emissions.
An error is recorded by the ECU, and the "Increased Emissions" warning message and "Service Engine Soon" light are illuminated.

The engineers who conducted this analysis have indicated that this is a design flaw with the M5 Typhoon Air Intake System (69-2003TFK).

I returned the Typhoon Air Intake System and received a full refund.

I am now running the Dinan High Flow Air Mass Meters and Intakes - these work extremely well, and don't cause ECU issues.
Interesting info...thanks.

:cheers:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts