BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all. I recently got some K-mac front camber plates installed. My installer could only get -1 and -0.75 degree camber. According to him, the stock cover opening is preventing further adjustment on the K-mac plates. He suggested that the opening be machined so that more adjustments can be made on the k-mac plates.

Do you guys think machining or grinding the opening to be bigger will damage the part??

I'm getting a lot of creaking noises when I turn the steering and now I can see why, the top center bolt of the k-mac plate is rubbing against the hole opening hence causing all these noises.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
That may not be causing the creaking noise.

Is it happening on both sides?
Does it sound like it is high up or low down?

Also the area you marked in the pic should not have been caused by the top of the strut as it should only rotate, it should not move about in the hole. I'd guess that was caused by the garage moving the top of the strut when they were setting it up and they just scratched the paint. (just buy some touch up paint)

What you need to do to be sure, is with your hood open, get a friend to sit in the car and turn the steering while you listen.

Also very easy thing to do is loosen the 3 nuts and with a big screwdriver, move the top of the strut away from the edge of the hole, then tighten up the 3 nuts as per the k-mac instructions, and then test it.

You should not need to jack up the car, but if you have problems moving it, with the 3 nuts loosened (do not take the nuts of) jack the car up a little (to take some of the weight off the top of the strut) and then try to move it over.

I've had creaking, but it just turned out to be a nut that needed tightening at the bottom of the strut (next to the pinch bolt that holds the bottom of the strut in place) But in short, if it is not the top of the strut, just get the garage that did the install to double check that the other nuts are tight.

I would not advise making the holes bigger. You need to work with what is available.

Here is a pic of my set-up.

Also whilst your looking at it all, I would allso check that the camber plate is fitted with the 3 bolts moved over towards the engine, eg just remove one of the nuts and it should look like my pic.

Just rememeber, if want to remove the EDC connector make sure your ignition is 100% OFF.
(this will prevent any i-drive errors)

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
As a side note, I could get -1.6 degrees.

I managed to get the -1.6 with stock sprongs and my camber plates were initially instsalled the wrong way so I could not move the top of the strut to the inner edge of the hole. I currently have -2 and I know I can get more.

I'd also suggest getting your camber checked again at another tyre shop and look at something like the Dinan springs.

Also with your car parked level, can you measure the distance from the centre of your wheel to the wheel arch on both sides.

This should be the same on both sides, but you may find that the bottom of the struts are not seated 100%
i.e. your strut is not all the way in and therefore it is adding a little height.
More height = More possitive camber

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The creaking noises are definitely coming from the contact point of where the top strut/pin/bolt and the rim of the cover hole....if you know what i mean??

I got the mechanic to turn the steering and I could see the pin turning and rubbing against the rim and also causing the noise.

Gonna check it out a bit more.

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
The creaking noises are definitely coming from the contact point of where the top strut/pin/bolt and the rim of the cover hole....if you know what i mean??

I got the mechanic to turn the steering and I could see the pin turning and rubbing against the rim and also causing the noise.

Gonna check it out a bit more.
Just move the top of the strut away from the edge and then go for a drive, it will take 10 mins max to do it and you can then move it back.

I would also measure that distance from the centre of the wheel to the wheel arch, mine were out the first time, again, took the garage 10 mins to fix it.

With the minimal change in camber you've got, I just feel that something is not right.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts