BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is my first post.......hello to all,

I just won a 2000 M5 on ebay last night!!

Details:
Black/ Black
38,xxx miles
2 owners
All options
CPO till 6/06
Relatively new pilot sports (7K ago...245/275)

In the auction the car had a Thule roof rack on it......my guess is that might have scared some people off. I do have a few questions:

Do the body panels have the VIN sticker the same way my E36 M3 does?

Are Clutches and MAF's covered under CPO?

Thanks
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
298 Posts
3rd One said:
This is my first post.......hello to all,
Are Clutches and MAF's covered under CPO?
Hello,

MAFS are covered, clutches are not unless there are extenuating circumstances like a rear main crankshaft seal that leaks and causes the clutch to slip.

Regards
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
39 Posts
Congradulation on the buy. The e39 M5 does not have body panle VIN sitckers on them like other BMW's. I had the same question myself. As for the CPO. The clutch and brakes are not covered under CPO. MAF I am not sure, but should be.



3rd One said:
This is my first post.......hello to all,

I just won a 2000 M5 on ebay last night!!

Details:
Black/ Black
38,xxx miles
2 owners
All options
CPO till 6/06
Relatively new pilot sports (7K ago...245/275)

In the auction the car had a Thule roof rack on it......my guess is that might have scared some people off. I do have a few questions:

Do the body panels have the VIN sticker the same way my E36 M3 does?

Are Clutches and MAF's covered under CPO?

Thanks
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
326 Posts
Search my Posts...

You'll probably have alot of the same questions I have had.
as a new owner.

Yes Clutch is covered under CPO.. Mine was twice and etc..

Welcome to the forum...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
291 Posts
3rd One said:
This is my first post.......hello to all,

I just won a 2000 M5 on ebay last night!!

Details:
Black/ Black
38,xxx miles
2 owners
All options
CPO till 6/06
Relatively new pilot sports (7K ago...245/275)

In the auction the car had a Thule roof rack on it......my guess is that might have scared some people off. I do have a few questions:

Do the body panels have the VIN sticker the same way my E36 M3 does?

Are Clutches and MAF's covered under CPO?

Thanks
And the winning bid was ?????$$$$$$$
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
291 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
77 Posts
Bloody hell! $34,000 / (say) .75 = AUD$45,334. 2000 models are selling here in Australia for between $90-105k! It must take some big goolies to buy something like an M5 on Ebay!!!

I think it must be time to emigrate!

Best regards and have great fun with your new toy,

Peter
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,722 Posts
XSV Pete said:
Bloody hell! $34,000 / (say) .75 = AUD$45,334. 2000 models are selling here in Australia for between $90-105k! It must take some big goolies to buy something like an M5 on Ebay!!!

I think it must be time to emigrate!

Best regards and have great fun with your new toy,

Peter
What was the new price in Australia back in 2000?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
77 Posts
I'm not exactly sure, but I recall they were around $195k in 2003 or so. Discounting inflation (which has been pretty low (>3% pa) here for a number of years) I'd guess the new price would have been around $180-185k.

(Update) I've just checked the Red Book (used car valuations) at www.redbook.com.au and it says new price for a 2000 M5 was $193k!

Best regards, Peter
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,722 Posts
Howly sh*t! Don't know how much that's in euros, but it must be a lot more than 100,000. I was told that my car, which is full option, costed 80,000 euros back in 2000. I bought it in Germany, and exported it to Belgium.

Edit: 193,000 australian dollars should be around 120,000 euros. **** that's expensive!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
77 Posts
You got it! In OZ, apart from the distance, we suffer from a) a small market - Australia has a total population of slightly greater than 20million, spread over a landmass roughly equal to the United States and b) taxation!

We generally think of an inter-capital drive (say Sydney to Melbourne or Brisbane) as an overnight drive (1200kms) with 2 drivers sharing, and yet put that distance on a map of Europe and people would think we're telling porkies (=pork-pies=lies!).

Seriously, though, the big issue here is TAX, although the government calls it import duty. This has the effect of roughly doubling the ex-factory price of almost all automotive imports.

Just one of the advantages of living in the great south land, I suppose!

Best regards, Peter
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
217 Posts
You guys think your bad off, try the tax over here in Thailand or in Singapore. Your looking at USD $400,000 for a porsche cayenne turbo! You break a certain engine capacity, add 100%, break another add another 100%, break a power number, add another 100% etc. etc. A base model Jag 6-cylinder is USD $160,000. I tried to import a 1995 XJR, they wanted USD $150,000 for import duty on a 10 yr old car which was only worth about USD $20,000.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
now I'm lost in all the conversion talk:biggrin:

Does the price I am paying seem alright for a clean car? It sounded good to me at the time. I will have pictures up after this weekend.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
168 Posts
3rd One said:
I just won a 2000 M5 on ebay last night!!
I love it how people say "i Won" rather than "i bought" when reffering to ebay purchases!

Good luck with your new purchase.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
Manx M5 said:
I love it how people say "i Won" rather than "i bought" when reffering to ebay purchases!

Good luck with your new purchase.
hmmm........your right I guess.

at this point though I feel like I "won" it..............after saturday I will surely feel like I bought it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
291 Posts
3rd One said:
now I'm lost in all the conversion talk:biggrin:

Does the price I am paying seem alright for a clean car? It sounded good to me at the time. I will have pictures up after this weekend.
By clean I assume you mean service history, accident history(Carfax), etc. If all those things check out then I think it is a fair price. I would call it a steal but pretty good price seeing that it is CPO'd. You should look into getting a extended warranty for about $2500 because I am sure you are aware of the Vanos issues and other issues that could crop up on the 2000's.

I can't beleive cars can actually cost that much in other countries. I know in Jamaica that the same prices that where mentioned above for these cars are not uncommon, all due to taxes. You would be suprised though that people still have like all these cars. Of course it is so small that whenever anyone gets a big profile car that you know who they are.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
bimmer23 said:
By clean I assume you mean service history, accident history(Carfax), etc. If all those things check out then I think it is a fair price. I would call it a steal but pretty good price seeing that it is CPO'd. You should look into getting a extended warranty for about $2500 because I am sure you are aware of the Vanos issues and other issues that could crop up on the 2000's.
Yeah I have just started looking into this. My CPO will be good through 6/06 so I will start looking more seriously after Christmas time.
 
1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Top