BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,077 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I can't hold a candle to you detail folks, but I did spend some time yesterday washing the car. As I enjoy looking at similar posts, I thought I wiould share some pictures.
 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,410 Posts
KevinM said:
I can't hold a candle to you detail folks, but I did spend some time yesterday washing the car. As I enjoy looking at similar posts, I thought I wiould share some pictures.
Any problems or fears with no front plates? I always hold my breath when I meet a cop at an intersection. Fortunately, they're always too preoccupied to notice. I keep my front plates slightly attached to the bracket with oversized screws in the trunk. I hope to say I intended to put it on, but the screws are the wrong size.
 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,077 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
a_ok2me said:
Any problems or fears with no front plates? I always hold my breath when I meet a cop at an intersection. Fortunately, they're always too preoccupied to notice. I keep my front plates slightly attached to the bracket with oversized screws in the trunk. I hope to say I intended to put it on, but the screws are the wrong size.
In AZ front plates are not required. I think your story will hold up well should you ever need to use it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,077 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Carrera 2RS and Beamer_USA, thanks.

I keep thinking that one of these days, I'm going to order and do the whole Zymol thing...clay bar and all. We'll see...

Edit, maybe I mean Zaino...jeez, can't keep all the detail stuff straight!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,817 Posts
MEnthusiast said:
.. I switched to Zaino a few years ago and could not be happier.

I switched too.


Used to use Zymol. Moderate cost, goes on easy, comes off easy. Good gloss, but doesn't last very long (about a month with 2-3 hand washings/week).

Zaino: Expensive for the whole program, goes on easy, comes off harder than Zymol, fantastic almost cellophane-like shine, lasts far, far longer (6 months or more with 2-3 hand washings/week).

I believe the main difference is Zymol is a traditional-type wax (silicone/petroleum?). I think Zaino is acrylic. Not positive, could be wrong.


KevinM - Your car looks GREAT! I love that color.





:M5launch:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
116 Posts
a_ok2me said:
Any problems or fears with no front plates? I always hold my breath when I meet a cop at an intersection. Fortunately, they're always too preoccupied to notice. I keep my front plates slightly attached to the bracket with oversized screws in the trunk. I hope to say I intended to put it on, but the screws are the wrong size.
I carry a front plate mounted on the oem bracket in the trunk to address the same concern. My friend is a body shop tech for a bmw dealer and he said I could mount the bracket using a 3M double sided tape that can be easily removed w/o messing up the paint job. I have elected to just leave it in the trunk and, if pulled over, argue that I have an appt to have it installed...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
116 Posts
KevinM said:
I can't hold a candle to you detail folks, but I did spend some time yesterday washing the car. As I enjoy looking at similar posts, I thought I wiould share some pictures.
Kevin, very nice indeed...I think you can hold a candle to the detail guys.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,077 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks guys.

You've given me the confidence to try Zaino (maybe I shouldn't thank you!). I'm thinking I'll bite the bullet and buy the whole kit they sell - any comments on the kit?

Also, I'm going to do a search on Zaino but is an orbital buffer (which I do not currently have) needed or recommended for Zaino products?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,158 Posts
a_ok2me said:
Any problems or fears with no front plates? I always hold my breath when I meet a cop at an intersection. Fortunately, they're always too preoccupied to notice. I keep my front plates slightly attached to the bracket with oversized screws in the trunk. I hope to say I intended to put it on, but the screws are the wrong size.

I actually got a ticket for no front plate in a metered parking lot of all places. Before I put a plate on, I got another ticket in the same lot by the same person who gave me the first ticket. :eek: hiha
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,412 Posts
Kevin, your Sterling beast looks great. :thumbsup: Very nice pics.


For detailing, I've been using Pinnacle and Klasse products but I think I ready to experiment with something new. :confused2
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
445 Posts
Zaino can be hand applied. No need an PC orbital.

KevinM said:
Thanks guys.

You've given me the confidence to try Zaino (maybe I shouldn't thank you!). I'm thinking I'll bite the bullet and buy the whole kit they sell - any comments on the kit?

Also, I'm going to do a search on Zaino but is an orbital buffer (which I do not currently have) needed or recommended for Zaino products?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
41 Posts
e39m5nut said:
I carry a front plate mounted on the oem bracket in the trunk to address the same concern. My friend is a body shop tech for a bmw dealer and he said I could mount the bracket using a 3M double sided tape that can be easily removed w/o messing up the paint job. I have elected to just leave it in the trunk and, if pulled over, argue that I have an appt to have it installed...
Ok, not to sound like a complete ding-dong ouich, but where did you guys get the front plate? Mine is front plateless and here in Washington we're supposed to have one. I just carry my plate in the backseat and if ever pulled over intend on say...uhhh, where am i supposed to put it?!

Related...my brother has an M3 with no front plate and hasn't had trouble. He's even been pulled over and not had any problems.

And yeah...car looks great. I love Sterling. :thumbsup:

Want to wash mine???? :haha2:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
116 Posts
jrm1504 said:
Ok, not to sound like a complete ding-dong ouich, but where did you guys get the front plate? Mine is front plateless and here in Washington we're supposed to have one. I just carry my plate in the backseat and if ever pulled over intend on say...uhhh, where am i supposed to put it?!

Related...my brother has an M3 with no front plate and hasn't had trouble. He's even been pulled over and not had any problems.

And yeah...car looks great. I love Sterling. :thumbsup:

Want to wash mine???? :haha2:
I ordered my front plate from someone I know that works for a BMW dealership and he painted it for me. Check with your local dealer and you'll get the bracket you need.

--Mike
 
1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Top