BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just installed my new MKIV nav from Martin over at bimmernav.com. Great guy, VERY helpful. Easy plug and play. The new system is super fast, has updated maps, and about 1000x as much POI information as the old system did, with a nice, searchable interface. I like it very much.

I now have my old MKIII system available for sale. It comes with all of the 2003.2 (late half of 2003) Navtech maps in a carrying case, as well as the MKIII unit. My MKIII unit had been updated to, I believe, v22 software before I removed it. So it's pretty up to date and works fine.

Martin, thank you for everything. Everyone else, let me know if you need an MKIII nav and let's make a deal.

:cheers:

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
RennSportSC'dKellenersM5 said:
hmm...didnt know you could just change over full systems. I knew that you could update but not just yank and install.

Interesting
I did the upgrade too. Couldn't be easier. I've got a MKIII for sale too, if the other one is already sold, I'd be happy to sell mine too. With software CD map.

·
10,445 Posts
DrewKeen said:
is it just the nav cpu or does it come with the wider screen too?

You can change both, both are plug and play.
Mike

Edit, I just realized you were probably talking about the used mk3 stuff. I doubt they would have upgraded their monitors though, just the nav drive.

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I changed only the nav computer (in the trunk) because my car has the widescreen LCD already. If you purchase my nav computer and a new (or used) widescreen you can upgrade your system.

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I haven't done an extensive search, but my guess is that they do. Their prices on everything else are ridiculously low, including the Navtech maps. I dunno how they are making any money.

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
DrewKeen said:
is it just the nav cpu or does it come with the wider screen too?
I just changed the CPU also, since my 2001 came with the widescreen.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Brian how much was the upgraded cpu? The way the US$ is going against the £ these days it could be worth sliding one into the suitcase on the next trip over the pond - I presume UK CD-Roms would work in US supplied units or am I being naive!!!

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
MartinW said:
Brian how much was the upgraded cpu? The way the US$ is going against the £ these days it could be worth sliding one into the suitcase on the next trip over the pond - I presume UK CD-Roms would work in US supplied units or am I being naive!!!
Martin,

Yep everything is exactly the same, although once you have the mkiv dvd based unit, you'd want to get a dvd based map for the whole of Europe for maximum use :M5thumbs:
I've done this recently, the only downpoint, is that female navigation voice is in an american accent, and "roundabouts" become "traffic circles" etc.. still very useful, looking at finding a way to get this reprogrammed to UK-english.. as my old mkiii unit was fine...but was a european version.

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Martin, I paid US $750 on special. It's now US $775 or so. Tin is right, you will need the European map DVD, but I *think* my system has a choice for UK English versus American English, so that might help. I'm also in yards right now, but at least I do not have the dreaded "Accept" screen.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts