BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I am fairly new to this board and fairly new to the M5 as well. I have had my beast for about 6 months and I finally decided to buy the Peake diagnostic tool. I have had a sparatic SES light, but just had the chance to pull the codes yesterday. Here they are:

Table 18

72 (Exhaust camshaft VANOS position control Cyl #5-8)
0A (Exhaust camshaft position sensor Cyl #1-4)
0F (Crankshaft/camshaft position correlation Cyl #1-4)
69 (Engine coolant temperature, plausibility)
AA (Secondary air system, flow to low)
63 (Secondary air system, valve jammed open)

The ones I am most concerned about are the top 3. I am replacing the CPS this weekend, but does anyone have any insight into what the Vanos position control or the Crankshaft/Camshaft position correlation is?

Lastly, has anyone else had a problem with their climate control. My fans stopped blowing air period today. It won't blow cold or hot... I would guess that the fan is out, but the above codes indicated a jammed valve of some kind. Any help would be very much appreciated.

Eric

·
Registered
95 Posts
On the fan, it could be the Final Stage Resistor Unit. I had this trouble on both the 540i and the M5. It started out intermittent, some days it would work and then it would be out again. Or it would change fan speed all over the place.

That's a few codes, but they have to repeat multiple times to cause the SES light to go on. You didn't mention if you are still in warranty or not.

http://www.540i6.com/finalstagereplacement.html

·
Registered
784 Posts
LeatherMan said:
I am fairly new to this board and fairly new to the M5 as well. I have had my beast for about 6 months and I finally decided to buy the Peake diagnostic tool. I have had a sparatic SES light, but just had the chance to pull the codes yesterday. Here they are:

Table 18

72 (Exhaust camshaft VANOS position control Cyl #5-8)
69 (Engine coolant temperature, plausibility)
AA (Secondary air system, flow to low)
63 (Secondary air system, valve jammed open)

The ones I am most concerned about are the top 3. I am replacing the CPS this weekend, but does anyone have any insight into what the Vanos position control or the Crankshaft/Camshaft position correlation is?

Lastly, has anyone else had a problem with their climate control. My fans stopped blowing air period today. It won't blow cold or hot... I would guess that the fan is out, but the above codes indicated a jammed valve of some kind. Any help would be very much appreciated.

Eric
Hi Eric:

Not to diminish your concerns because most, including myself would share some if not all of the same feelings. However, once you replace CPS, clear all the codes and begin with a clean slate.

Often times there will be an intermittent code that does not persist yet is still stored until cleared, other times a related problem such as the CPS will present itself as a couple codes particularly when using a device other than a GT1.

Let me know as you progress…… you will be fine.

Regards,

Shadowman

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I thank you both for your insight. Unfortunately, I am not still under warranty.

Related to my climate control the fan did blow some air last night and anything is more than in was doing right after it quit. It also blew fairly well this morning, but no where near what was normal. Not to add to the complexity of the diagnosis, but there is a metalic rattle coming from the center vent area thatwas not there previously. It may be unrelated. Overall does that sound like the problem you are talking about with the Final Stage Resistor.

I also think that the CPS my also resolve the crankshaft/camshaft position correlation code, but I will keep you posted.

Does anyone know what the 72 (Exhaust camshaft VANOS position control Cyl #5-8) is? Is that the VANOS Selonoid that I hear people talking about? I really think it has to be a separate problem from the CPS.

Also, what is the best brand of shop manual for the M5?

Again, thanks for all your help so far?

Thanks,
Eric

·
Registered
95 Posts
The closest thing to a shop manual for the M5 is the E39 5-series manuals by Bentley. It is not M5-specific, but a lot of the 5-series stuff will apply. It can be found on E-bay for sale and in the Roundel magazine for sale. Search this forum for Bentley manual and you will find some writeups on it.

The BMW CD-ROMs called ETK and TIS are also available, but are more of a parts listing and schematic diagrams like you see at the parts counter of the dealer.

·
Moderator Emeritus
2,977 Posts
The secondary air system blows air into the exhasts during cold starts to quicken the warm-up of the catalytic converters. Unless you have problems passing government emissions testing, it does not affect car performance.

The vanos/camshaft relted codes could indicate a marginal or faulty camshaft sensor. Very common.

I suggest you record, and reset all the codes, and wait and see how long it takes for the codes to return.

The BMW TIS disc has a lot of useful troubleshooting info.

David

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Well, I cleared all of the codes as you guys suggested. The SES light came back on within half an hour and here is what I pulled the second time.

As for the climate control it has been totally sparatic. It worked yesterday a bit and stopped completely today. It is especially frustrating when it is 10 degrees outside and you can't get your $80,000 BMW to blow even slightly warm air.

I guess the suggested actions would still be to replace the Exhaust CPS as well as the Final Stage Resistor Unit? Can anyone tell me what the Final Stage Resistor Unit does exactly? Why do you guys think it would tell me that a valve is jammed open? Does the Final Stage Resistor Unit control some type of valve?

Also, I have heard that a lot of people have problems with something called the Vanos Selonoid... does anyone know what the code is for that?

Thanks for all your help,
Eric

·
Registered
2,071 Posts
It is defintely the final stage resistor on the climate control problem. This is a common problem. Symptoms are irradic or no fan, full speed fan, bad tempreature control, or nothing works at all. I can't for the life of me figure out why BMW doesn't correct this common problem, but it seems common on all current BMWs...for years.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Digi,

Thanks for the confirmation... i will order one today. Do you know anything about the vanos code that I got or what people are refering to with the "Vanos Selonoid" problem?

Regards,
Eric

·
Registered
12,398 Posts
LeatherMan said:

As for the climate control it has been totally sparatic. It worked yesterday a bit and stopped completely today. It is especially frustrating when it is 10 degrees outside and you can't get your $80,000 BMW to blow even slightly warm air.

I guess the suggested actions would still be to replace the Exhaust CPS as well as the Final Stage Resistor Unit? Can anyone tell me what the Final Stage Resistor Unit does exactly? Why do you guys think it would tell me that a valve is jammed open? Does the Final Stage Resistor Unit control some type of valve?

Also, I have heard that a lot of people have problems with something called the Vanos Selonoid... does anyone know what the code is for that?

Thanks for all your help,
Eric
The secondary air system has to do with the engine (at least it does on other cars I've worked on) it is unrelated to you heater fan...

The two codes seem like they would be related: if you have a bad camshaft sensor the data it generates would be un-correlated, hence the second.

Good Luck

Ard

·
Registered
530 Posts
Eric:

I have bought the BMW manuals before from ebay, and they were "originals".

I have not seen this one specific to MY2000 M5.

I went ahead and bought it, I will let you know how it works out. It says it has all the electricals, so this alone would be a good bet.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Dear JJC,

So you bought the one that I linked to? I would definately be interested to know what you think of it. It sounds TGTBT.

Does anyone know of any instructions or tech info that has been posted on replacing a vanos selonoid?

Regards,
Eric
1-866-639-7328 ext 104
www.leatherseats.com

·
Registered
530 Posts
Hi:

I have the other TIS/ETK etc..just like the ones at the parts counter at my local delaership.

Somewhast cryptic at times to find the right items, no real search feature that I have found, but it does help with some of the basics.

The TIS from the set I have I have not used yet.

If this CD has specific M5 info that I cannot obtain from the general set, and the TIS section gives some details on replacement and repairs of the I will let you know. Hell, I'll let everyone know. I primarily bought this for the electrical schematics. This was not on my current set.

I expect some results later next week, say about 12-30-04.

·
Registered
530 Posts
eBay, the supplier of all that is pirated.....

Not that I believe that.:hihi:

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I replaced the bank 1 exhaust CPS tonight. The beast feels more responsive and the Engine light hasn't come back on. :M5thumbs:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts