BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just received a set of Michelin Pilot Sport PS2 tires for my M5 in the OEM sizes. For those who speak tire, my assumption from looking at the tread is that the PS2 tread pattern is assymetrical but unlike the old Michelin Pilot Sport or my former Bridgestone Potenza S-03s the tires are not unidirectional.

I ask because the tire sidewalls clearly designate that one side of the tire is the "outside", and has a thicker set of outer tread blocks that arc in one particular direction when mounted on the driver side tires. However, when the other set of tires is mounted on the passenger side tires and the "outside" label is oriented correctly, the thicker tread blocks are on the outside edge of the tire but the tread blocks arch or arc in the opposite direction than those on the other side of the car. This is unlike my old S-03s where the tread blocks "arched" in the same direction (toward the front of the car). Is this normal or did Tirerack send me an incorrect set of tires?

Thanks.

/Rich

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
That is normal. One side does seem backwards but is not.

·
Registered
12,865 Posts
Richard in NC said:
That is normal. One side does seem backwards but is not.
You may be correct, but it does not make a lot of sense to me. What would be the reason for this?
Regards,
Jerry

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I saw a Z3 today who had the PS2s and it confirmed Richard's reply about them looking backward. I would also be curious about how this does not affect tire performance. In my view it is certainly not as aesthetically pleasing as the old Pilot Sport or the S-03s but for better performance it is irrelevant I suppose. Thanks for the replies!

/Rich

·
Registered
797 Posts
Rcl4668 said:
...In my view it is certainly not as aesthetically pleasing as the old Pilot Sport or the S-03s ...
Yeah, but PS2's on an E39 M5 grip like demons. In my opinion, they're the best tire for this car.

Jeff :cheers:

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
Rich,

Good to see yet another Oregon M5 member on the forum. What part of the state are you in? I'm in the Southwest part of Portland.

Travis

1 - 6 of 6 Posts