BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys, I can't tell you how nice it was to run a modified Cobra with a shaker hood and exhaust to 145! Nice car, we started out on an entrance ramp to I10 at 60, I slowed at 145 with him about 7 car lengths back....we ran again from 80, all the while me pulling away from him about a car length per 3 seconds. Nice car, I slowed and gave him huge thumbs up...I think he was surprised. Nice run. I love my M5! Good guy, knew how to drive, which is rare.

Keep the shiny side up!

:M5launch:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,099 Posts
I am suprised you took him. A friend has a Cobra replica with a really built 460 (bored to 514 cubic inches). 600hp is the estimate. It barks the tires with a touch of the throttle. It might not have the aerodynamics or gearing to run well at 120mh + but it would be darn fast getting there.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
99 Posts
Richard in NC said:
I am suprised you took him. A friend has a Cobra replica with a really built 460 (bored to 514 cubic inches). 600hp is the estimate. It barks the tires with a touch of the throttle. It might not have the aerodynamics or gearing to run well at 120mh + but it would be darn fast getting there.
I believe he is referring to a Mustang Cobra, not "THE" Shelby Cobra.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,023 Posts
Black Beast said:
I believe he is referring to a Mustang Cobra, not "THE" Shelby Cobra.
Black Beast,

My husband and I have driven his '03 SVT Mustang Cobra and my '02 M5 side by side and then switched drivers/cars, using walkie-talkies to time speeds/shifts. We never went 145 though, maybe only 100, and are by no means professional drivers, but are very close in time on the track (him in his now modded Cobra and me in the '01 M Coupe), but the two cars DID seem very close. Glad to see a fellow M5'er able to have success against a newer Cobra!!! You can tell I'm a BMW fan can't you :biggrin:

Anita
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
240 Posts
Watch out for those "03-'04 supercharged cobras. For around $600, you can get one to put out around 500HP. A pulley change, and a Hypertech reprogram is all it takes. Good bang for the buck IMHO.

Eric
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,023 Posts
s62fan said:
Watch out for those "03-'04 supercharged cobras. For around $600, you can get one to put out around 500HP. A pulley change, and a Hypertech reprogram is all it takes. Good bang for the buck IMHO.

Eric
Eric,
I'll have to dig out the hubby's mod folder with all the particulars and get back to you--I do know he's got a different pulley, for sure. He had me cranking the old one off while he held another bit--I never jumped to far in my life when the thing finally gave. But the car has proved a modders/shade tree mechanics dream for him.
Anita
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
99 Posts
Anita said:
Black Beast,

My husband and I have driven his '03 SVT Mustang Cobra and my '02 M5 side by side and then switched drivers/cars, using walkie-talkies to time speeds/shifts. We never went 145 though, maybe only 100, and are by no means professional drivers, but are very close in time on the track (him in his now modded Cobra and me in the '01 M Coupe), but the two cars DID seem very close. Glad to see a fellow M5'er able to have success against a newer Cobra!!! You can tell I'm a BMW fan can't you :biggrin:

Anita
Yes, no doubt the modern Mustang Cobras are fast and extremely easy/cheap to tune to ~500 hp. Even stock, an extremely close match to the E39 M5, if not faster. I believe the '03-'04 were rated at 390hp stock. I test drove an '04 Cobra and was impressed with the power but not so much by the interior fit/finish and build quality.

I was just clarifying to Richard that I believed Stoner was referring to a late model Mustang Cobra, not a 60's vintage Shelby Cobra (or replica).

Take care.

Good race Stoner!:cheers:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,151 Posts
I am not doubting this story but I am very surprised. I think the new Mustang Cobra is marginally quicker from a stop to 100 and 1/4-mile based on tests I've seen. I know the Cobra has tons of drag and inefficiency, but am also surprised to hear how far you pulled on him to 145. Are you pretty sure it was the SVT supercharged one?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
HBRAMSTEDT said:
I am not doubting this story but I am very surprised. I think the new Mustang Cobra is marginally quicker from a stop to 100 and 1/4-mile based on tests I've seen. I know the Cobra has tons of drag and inefficiency, but am also surprised to hear how far you pulled on him to 145. Are you pretty sure it was the SVT supercharged one?
I'll be the first to admit that my knowledge of these fine American sports cars may be a bit lacking, but this car was special, growling and had some real attitude...you know, just like ours! I was running into the high revs, was not an easy take, but I'm still smiling and the 145 on the speedo surprised even me, I was expecting to be going about 110.

:M5rev:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,289 Posts
the pre 03 cars are only 320 and lucky if they see that as ford was found to have claimed power but then when they dyno'd a bunch they were barely making the 300 range.

Nice run...

if it was one of the 03's...totally different story
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,151 Posts
Yes. I used to bury pre-03 stock and slightly modded. Mustang Cobras over and over. It seems the Ford guys go down the hardest and are usually the least intelligent. The same with Ford Lightning pickups. It doesn't take much intelligence to figure that after if you get pulled by 3-5 lengths repeatedly you should give up. The Ford guys on the street want to go over and over and carry big attitude with ususally little stuff to back it up. If I lose by a clear margin, I give credit to the other driver, go home sad, and immediately begin planning on how to make my car faster.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,289 Posts
thats one thing about domestic drivers, they cant fathom that they just got beat by a 4dr family sedan most of the time.

I had a C5 vette with either nitrous or a supercharger that tried to run on me in the m5 and even with its baby niggles, I still handily took him 3 separate times, but yet he kept trying. I even rolled down my window at a light and he just looked at me and then looked straight ahead without putting his window down...

oh well...not all of us can be the "jerk-off's" that run the world.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Now that you mention it, I remember that Cobra trying to run me a few more times (without success) and even though I slowed each time to give him a thumbs up, he abruptly took the next exit ramp without so much as a wave.

Oh well, I was smiling enough for both of us.

LOVE that car o' mine, it's the ultimate wolf in a well-dressed sheep's clothing!

:M5launch:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,515 Posts
HBRAMSTEDT said:
Yes. I used to bury pre-03 stock and slightly modded. Mustang Cobras over and over. It seems the Ford guys go down the hardest and are usually the least intelligent. The same with Ford Lightning pickups. It doesn't take much intelligence to figure that after if you get pulled by 3-5 lengths repeatedly you should give up. The Ford guys on the street want to go over and over and carry big attitude with ususally little stuff to back it up. If I lose by a clear margin, I give credit to the other driver, go home sad, and immediately begin planning on how to make my car faster.
After driving Fords for 25 years, I've found stupid kids inside every car marque, incl Ferrari, BMW and Mercedes. Teens driving aging 6 cyl BMW's of the 318 to 325 variety are quite common around here....always try to outgun me at the stoplight in their worn 16 second 1/4 mi rides with tailpipe smoking. They invariably start things by lining up at a light where "left lane ends" or "left lane turn only" with the intent of executing a rude pass....only to be soundly tromped by my weathered, 5 Liter HO Lincoln sitting in the right lane. It's worth noting that I have also come across retards driving daddy's M or P car on several occasions. One such car was wrapped around a tree. Intelligence is not marque-specific.

There are literally hundreds of Fords in my area that can run well under 12's or run A group at the Road Racing Track. Most of these cars will bury an M3 or M5. Ford drivers literally mob the tracks every open track day. It costs about $5K in mods to get them there, so their choice for racing is sound IMO.

I have to question the intelligence of anyone spending upwards of $100K for street or track drag racing who can't run 10's all day long. The Ford drivers are not in this group as some of them run 8's for $25K. The $40K Fords built for such duty are running 7's or better. There are virtually no BMW's capable of similar acceleration.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
400 Posts
geez, I have a friend who runs a Monza up here at Bandimere and is in the mid 10's. I was in the car once and it scared the crap out of me. A 7 second car would give me a heart attack. Not my cup of tea at all.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
259 Posts
Quote:
<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=6 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=alt2 style="BORDER-RIGHT: 1px inset; BORDER-TOP: 1px inset; BORDER-LEFT: 1px inset; BORDER-BOTTOM: 1px inset">Originally Posted by HBRAMSTEDT
Yes. I used to bury pre-03 stock and slightly modded. Mustang Cobras over and over. It seems the Ford guys go down the hardest and are usually the least intelligent. The same with Ford Lightning pickups. It doesn't take much intelligence to figure that after if you get pulled by 3-5 lengths repeatedly you should give up. The Ford guys on the street want to go over and over and carry big attitude with ususally little stuff to back it up. If I lose by a clear margin, I give credit to the other driver, go home sad, and immediately begin planning on how to make my car faster.
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Fortunately I was never one of those guys who got ******* over and over again :7: I will tell you though - - if I run someone once and lose that doesn't discourage me from running them again since I might gotten a bad launch etc...Hell, I ran a late 70's Porsche Turbo a few weeks ago in the M5 and got a great jump on him till about 50 when passed me like I was standing still...I had to run a second time just to see his car run again :cheers:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,564 Posts
I have never understood the dejected looks on peoples faces when they lose a race. Sure, you didnt come out on top, but its good fun! I dont race people all too often up the straights (8V 115hp Jetta), but its all too common to kill someone in a turn, then watch them looks only straight at the next stoplight. I guess it can be a whack to your ego, but if I was in an M3 and a Jetta Gl with hubcaps kept up in a corner, I would want to talk to the driver.
Sounds like a good run though! I'm suprised you managed to keep ahead, the '03 and later Cobra's are really quick, especially when modded. Too bad they look the same inside as my old '98 Ranger pickup...
:cheers:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,151 Posts
I can understand 2 runs, but more than that is unnecessary usually.

I agree intelligence is not completely marque-specific and I am not talking about track events, only the street. At least in the part of L.A. that I frequent, the Ford guys are extremely well represented in the dumb camp, moreso than other marques. Fords typically are some of the least sophisticated and inexpensive vehicles, and I believe that accessibility factor accounts for some of it.

I am sure what Lscman says about the proliferation of 10 or 12 second cars on the track, but they simply are not present on the street in the L.A. area. There are illegal street drags in my area where 10-12 second cars are plentiful though.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
959 Posts
HBRAMSTEDT said:
I am not doubting this story but I am very surprised. I think the new Mustang Cobra is marginally quicker from a stop to 100 and 1/4-mile based on tests I've seen. I know the Cobra has tons of drag and inefficiency, but am also surprised to hear how far you pulled on him to 145. Are you pretty sure it was the SVT supercharged one?
The 03-04 Cobras are marginally quicker in the 1/4 mile, but as you noted, they are very un-aerodynamic at the big end. I outran a 400 rwhp supercharged 95 Mustang in a stock 540ia sport years ago, and I have run late model Cobras with much more power than me in the M5 and faired quite nicely at supralegal speeds.
 
1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Top