BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

I just received delivery of my 2002 E39 M5 this past Friday evening and it just made it to the shop for maintenance/checkups yesterday. The steering was notably stiff and I expected there to be a cost associated with repairing but the shop quoted me an astronomical figure. Would anyone have a spare for this that I could buy?

I was also told that the drain plug to perform an oil change was threaded and crooked in place; They recommended that I replace the entire assembly. Is this something I can buy used or is it highly recommended to replace one new/OEM?

Thanks!

·
Registered
28 Posts
Check out the "continuous part out" threads on here from Mishkin. His thread is on the first page....there are others as well but I've only bought from Mishkin/Mike. He's been great to work with since I got my M5 a year ago. I've bought several random things from him. Very fair pricing and fast shipping. Reach out to them and they'll set you up for sure!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Check out the "continuous part out" threads on here from Mishkin. His thread is on the first page....there are others as well but I've only bought from Mishkin/Mike. He's been great to work with since I got my M5 a year ago. I've bought several random things from him. Very fair pricing and fast shipping. Reach out to them and they'll set you up for sure!
Thanks a lot @stashtrey & @Trizzuth. I'll definitely reach out! I'm happy to see that the forum members are active with helping one another out here... Kudos to y'all!

Cheers.

·
Registered
3,761 Posts
In regards to your steering. It’s most likely the pump. Get a new one from FCP. I have a working Serv unit, that you can try, but doubt it’s that.

As for the pan, you can go with new thread kit and do oversized bolt or new pan with new bolts.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi All,

I just received delivery of my 2002 E39 M5 this past Friday evening and it just made it to the shop for maintenance/checkups yesterday. The steering was notably stiff and I expected there to be a cost associated with repairing but the shop quoted me an astronomical figure. Would anyone have a spare for this that I could buy?

I was also told that the drain plug to perform an oil change was threaded and crooked in place; They recommended that I replace the entire assembly. Is this something I can buy used or is it highly recommended to replace one new/OEM?

Thanks!

·
Registered
4 Posts
I also purchased my 2002 M5 with a stripped drain plug discovered at the first oil change and was told I needed a new lower oil pan ($450 10 years ago)
Took the lower pan to nearest NAPA dealer and bought the next larger size drain plug and tap which happened to be 14mm by 1.50 size.
Used the recommended 1/2 inch drill mounted in my drill press to clean up damaged threads, then used the drill press turning by hand to tap the new threads.
At oil change time I snug the plug and tighten about an eighth to quarter turn and use a non hardening sealant in case of a leak.
Takes a little more time but saved the cost of the lower pan and never leaks. Did this repair ten years ago.
NAPA part number of tap is 55412. Don’t have record of plug part number but is same length as original and very slightly larger diameter at 14mm.
Still love this car despite all its funky Vanos sounds, etc.
NOTASIX

·
Registered
3,761 Posts
If you search here, drain plug part number would pop up all over

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
In regards to your steering. It’s most likely the pump. Get a new one from FCP. I have a working Serv unit, that you can try, but doubt it’s that.

As for the pan, you can go with new thread kit and do oversized bolt or new pan with new bolts.
@Silent Thanks for providing some input; What makes you believe that it's likely a pump over the unit itself? I'm just curious. Fwiw, the ECU through an error code related to the serv unit. Of course, that may mean it's other components related to the ECU, correct?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I also purchased my 2002 M5 with a stripped drain plug discovered at the first oil change and was told I needed a new lower oil pan ($450 10 years ago)
Took the lower pan to nearest NAPA dealer and bought the next larger size drain plug and tap which happened to be 14mm by 1.50 size.
Used the recommended 1/2 inch drill mounted in my drill press to clean up damaged threads, then used the drill press turning by hand to tap the new threads.
At oil change time I snug the plug and tighten about an eighth to quarter turn and use a non hardening sealant in case of a leak.
Takes a little more time but saved the cost of the lower pan and never leaks. Did this repair ten years ago.
NAPA part number of tap is 55412. Don’t have record of plug part number but is same length as original and very slightly larger diameter at 14mm.
Still love this car despite all its funky Vanos sounds, etc.
NOTASIX
@NOTASIX Thanks for sharing your experience; That sounds like a pretty straightforward DIY. I might search around and see if there are any videos related to this job. I'll follow back up if I end up taking this route.

Cheers.

·
Registered
3,761 Posts
@Silent Thanks for providing some input; What makes you believe that it's likely a pump over the unit itself? I'm just curious. Fwiw, the ECU through an error code related to the serv unit. Of course, that may mean it's other components related to the ECU, correct?
I’ve had the same error code for years and Occurred around 85k miles. Serv unit won’t cause steering to get tight like they do today. I am pretty sure it’s the pump without driving the car. It’s also the least expensive part on the list that you have to replace, while chasing down this issue.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for that insight... I'm going to look into this before I look into replacing the serv unit. I'll report back with findings once I make some time to get this done.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts