BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just received shipment of my M5 this past Friday and I'm eager to get it in tip-top shape so I can enjoy driving it in its proper condition. The only issue is... The most I've ever done to any vehicle myself is replace CAIs and some electrical components! So, I'm looking to you all for some wise, cost-conscious guidance on what the indy shop man has recommended to me after a used car inspection.

Takeaways:
  • Servotronic Control Unit 'requires' replacement- This part is pricey! Does anyone know of any alternative issue that might otherwise be the source of the very heavy feel vs replacing the entire unit? Tech also noted ECU threw fault code 116 for the Servotronic if that's any major revelation.

• Lower Oil Pan Assembly requires replacement - This is due to the drain plug apparently being crooked/cross-threaded in place which made removing it very difficult. Is there no workaround to addressing this without replacing the entire unit?
All in all, these were the two major remarks from the indy mechanic besides various small and non-urgent concerns. I plan to have the Service Level 2 Inspection done as well at this shop... Any remarks on things to keep in mind when dealing with indy shops on this inspection?

Cheers.

·
Registered
108 Posts
I just received shipment of my M5 this past Friday and I'm eager to get it in tip-top shape so I can enjoy driving it in its proper condition. The only issue is... The most I've ever done to any vehicle myself is replace CAIs and some electrical components! So, I'm looking to you all for some wise, cost-conscious guidance on what the indy shop man has recommended to me after a used car inspection.

Takeaways:
  • Servotronic Control Unit 'requires' replacement- This part is pricey! Does anyone know of any alternative issue that might otherwise be the source of the very heavy feel vs replacing the entire unit? Tech also noted ECU threw fault code 116 for the Servotronic if that's any major revelation.

• Lower Oil Pan Assembly requires replacement - This is due to the drain plug apparently being crooked/cross-threaded in place which made removing it very difficult. Is there no workaround to addressing this without replacing the entire unit?
All in all, these were the two major remarks from the indy mechanic besides various small and non-urgent concerns. I plan to have the Service Level 2 Inspection done as well at this shop... Any remarks on things to keep in mind when dealing with indy shops on this inspection?

Cheers.
Servotronic is the same as the other V8s. Find one cheap and swap.

Lower oil pan or sump is piss easy to do.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6 Posts
My indie replaced the oil pan on my car last July. The alloted labor time was 2.7 hours. The cost including the two gaskets was $833.

You may be able to get away with using a Time Sert (not a Heli Coil) thread repair kit instead. This is a standard fix for this issue and a lot less expensive. Ask your shop or, if they aren't familiar, find someone with solid experience doing this. In my case, someone damaged the original drain plug threads. A Time Sert was installed, but poorly, and it failed. That left no good option other than pan replacement.

·
Registered
6 Posts
My indie replaced the oil pan on my car last July. The alloted labor time was 2.7 hours. The cost including the two gaskets was $833.

You may be able to get away with using a Time Sert (not a Heli Coil) thread repair kit instead. This is a standard fix for this issue and a lot less expensive. Ask your shop or, if they aren't familiar, find someone with solid experience doing this. In my case, someone damaged the original drain plug threads. A Time Sert was installed, but poorly, and it failed. That left no good option other than pan replacement.
What is a servotronic?

·
Registered
830 Posts
Congratulations on getting the M and welcome. For the oil pan you can also contact gzig5, he offers repair options.
Best advice as a new owner is to read the FAQ sticky. You’ll learn A LOT about your new car. Also, instead of waiting for answers, use google to search the site.
Type -> site:m5board.com e39, followed by your key words or question.

·
Registered
2,408 Posts
Did they quote you a price on the servotronic? You can find the part number on RealOem and price shop online. Also if you are willing to risk using a used part they can be had from board member Clemster for a huge discount. His thread is in the buy/sell subforum.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I'd take the pan to your favorite local machine shop for evaluation. Any competent machine shop will be able to fix it. Then you can decide if it's worth the cost or if you should just buy a new one. A good fabricator could probably handle the repair also.

·
Registered
108 Posts
I'd take the pan to your favorite local machine shop for evaluation. Any competent machine shop will be able to fix it. Then you can decide if it's worth the cost or if you should just buy a new one. A good fabricator could probably handle the repair also.
Is the lower oil pan, the sump? Is it just one of the cross the pond idiosyncrasies ?

If so, they’re cheap as chips and not worth repairing.

If it’s not the sump (where the oil level sensor sits) then ignore me.

Actually just ignore me anyway, the voices in my head talk gibberish anyway

·
Registered
34 Posts
Is the lower oil pan, the sump? Is it just one of the cross the pond idiosyncrasies ?

If so, they’re cheap as chips and not worth repairing.

If it’s not the sump (where the oil level sensor sits) then ignore me.

Actually just ignore me anyway, the voices in my head talk gibberish anyway

Yeah, the sump, lower oil pan.

What's your definition of cheap as chips? A new lower pan was a few hundred bucks last I looked.

·
Registered
108 Posts

What's your definition of cheap as chips? A new lower pan was a few hundred bucks last I looked.
Sump and gasket for £65. Non-oem but I’ve had a valeo one in many bmw M3s and my 540i for years without issue.

I can get a uk price on an M5 sump tomorrow if that helps.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Sump and gasket for £65. Non-oem but I’ve had a valeo one in many bmw M3s and my 540i for years without issue.

I can get a uk price on an M5 sump tomorrow if that helps.

Well for that price, I'd settle for an aftermarket pan. None were coming up when I was searching though. Maybe not readily available over here.

·
Registered
108 Posts

Uk oem prices are approximately just shy of £200 / $250 but it’s a guess as the parts desks are all closed right now. I’ll get a proper price in the morning but I’ve happily used 3rd party without issue for many years.

Even if it’s just for the short term.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Well for that price, I'd settle for an aftermarket pan. None were coming up when I was searching though. Maybe not readily available over here.
Happy to buy and ship from here if one is desperate although with the cost of overnight shipping it may eradicate any savings.

Fcp euros or such like not cheaper?

Do they have “autodoc” or similar over there?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Congratulations on getting the M and welcome. For the oil pan you can also contact gzig5, he offers repair options.
Best advice as a new owner is to read the FAQ sticky. You’ll learn A LOT about your new car. Also, instead of waiting for answers, use google to search the site.
Type -> site:m5board.com e39, followed by your key words or question.
Thanks for that @Deepan! I'll start to groom through the FAQs... I reached out to @gzig5 so I'm hoping to get a response and some help soon. Thanks for the google search hack tidbit as well.

Cheers!

·
Registered
108 Posts
Thanks for that @Deepan! I'll start to groom through the FAQs... I reached out to @gzig5 so I'm hoping to get a response and some help soon. Thanks for the google search hack tidbit as well.

Cheers!
Uk price for oil pan / sump is £250 including vat (sales tax ) so similar to USA but 3rd party is much cheaper so happy to purchase and send across.

·
Registered
1,856 Posts

Cheers!
I'm still repairing pans with a stainless steel bushing and have sent you the details on it.

I haven't advertised the process but have done two or three dozen for board members over the years. Here is a pic from a recent job. A custom bushing is cut from stainless for each job and installed with a custom nut. The drain hole is retained so the sump fully drains and doesn't retain oil like the Heli-coil or Timesert will. You are not going to wear this thing out in three lifetimes of oil changes. I can repair previous failed repair attempts too.

Attachments

·
Registered
873 Posts
Welcome and congrats. Re the Insp. II, those step are easy to do with even minimal DIY skill. Do fluids, plugs and filters yourself and save your $$ for the more complicated stuff.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts