BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got an 02 M5, black/black with sport seats. My previous car was a 95 M3 so this is a nice upgrade! Needless to say, I'm really enjoying the car. Have a few questions hopefully you guys can help me with.

1. Phone- Can I hook up a blue tooth phone in my car? Not sure what years have that. My trunk says prewired for phone. When I start the car the dash say BMW assist inactive. I don't have the cut out in the arm rest for a phone either.

2. Does the armrest have storage in it? The top flips up showing a very small storage area. Maybe big enough for some gum etc. I thought there would be storage underneath but can seem to figure it out?

3. I've read some posts but would love your input on which short shifter you guys like. That's the only thing I'm not thrilled with. The throw is so long! What about the other accessories to go along with the ss kit?

4. What type of bulb does the foglight use. I'd like to upgrade so they better match the xenon headlights. Any bulb suggestions?

Let me say thanks in advance for any help with my annoying questions.

·
Super Moderator
10,461 Posts
Congrats and welcome to the board. THere are tons of info here, and you can learn a lot about your car by using the search feature.

I have a couple of answeres to your questions:
Bluetooth, for an 02, i think there is a factory kit available. I used a kit put together by www.bimmernav.com While the car is prewired, the components are not installed. It is a pretty easy self install.

If you have the flip up armrest (typically called the 'euro armrest' here, since the standard US armrest just slides for and aft, no flip up, that is it for your storage compartment. I was able to fit my wallet in there.

I have the uuc ssk, evo 3 i believe, very happy with it. Also check out and support the boards vendors!
Have Fun!
Mike

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
It seems from your post that you have the stock armrest. I would suggest doing the Euro upgrade to get an actual storage area and a nice armrest that doesn't have that plastic storage area in the middle of the leather. You can get the parts from any BMW dealer. Try Pacific BMW's internet parts.. they give a great discount from MSRP, and if you get a BMWCCA membership it adds to even more.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I thought I had the euro armrest. Mine is solid with no cut out for the phone. The top flips open and there is a small storage area. It doesn't slide back like the other ones I've seen.

·
Super Moderator
10,461 Posts
black02m5 said:
I thought I had the euro armrest. Mine is solid with no cut out for the phone. The top flips open and there is a small storage area. It doesn't slide back like the other ones I've seen.
Yeah, that sounds like the euro armrest to me too.
Mike

·
Registered
3,004 Posts
your first M5? how many are you gonna get?

·
Registered
3,568 Posts
I am interested in replacing my U.S. armrest with the Euro armrest. Could any of you gents point me in the right direction to see a photo/get a good price?

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
black02m5 said:
Definitely sounds like the Euro armrest, but I think there is a part that you can order with it to get more than just that amount of storage.. haven't done the mod yet so I'm not 100% sure..

·
Super Moderator
10,461 Posts
palantirion said:
I am interested in replacing my U.S. armrest with the Euro armrest. Could any of you gents point me in the right direction to see a photo/get a good price?
Look over at www.bmwtips.com for the part numbers and photos.
Mike

1 - 9 of 9 Posts