BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been stressing over whether my beast would pass or not. Made sure I drove it at least 1/2 hour prior to testing. New plugs, MAF's, air filters, etc. Result was no problema. Measured ZERO NOx and some CO and Hydrocarbons. Not bad for a 76K mile 6 year old high performance car. Now I can shove this up my co-workers face who has a Prius and actually registered a few ppm NOx on his lawn mower engine. He has been giving so much grief over what a polluter my M5 is.

Interesting to note that the technician asked if I had CARB (California Air Resource Board) numbers for all the Dinan mods. Luckily I just pointed to the stickers on the hood with the information. He called them in and were properly verified. I asked him if I had modified with aftermarket headers (SS or Dinan) whether he notice it on visual inspection and if he would require the CARB certification. He said yes. I know that there are Cali members with SS headers which are not CARB compliant unlike Dinan's. Has this been an issue with any of you to pass smog in California?

I have been struggling to justify paying the extra $3K for Dinan but I guess this would be one advantage. Any thoughts?
-Roberto

Attachments

·
Registered
159 Posts
Been stressing over whether my beast would pass or not. Made sure I drove it at least 1/2 hour prior to testing. New plugs, MAF's, air filters, etc. Result was no problema. Measured ZERO NOx and some CO and Hydrocarbons. Not bad for a 76K mile 6 year old high performance car. Now I can shove this up my co-workers face who has a Prius and actually registered a few ppm NOx on his lawn mower engine. He has been giving so much grief over what a polluter my M5 is.

Interesting to note that the technician asked if I had CARB (California Air Resource Board) numbers for all the Dinan mods. Luckily I just pointed to the stickers on the hood with the information. He called them in and were properly verified. I asked him if I had modified with aftermarket headers (SS or Dinan) whether he notice it on visual inspection and if he would require the CARB certification. He said yes. I know that there are Cali members with SS headers which are not CARB compliant unlike Dinan's. Has this been an issue with any of you to pass smog in California?

I have been struggling to justify paying the extra $3K for Dinan but I guess this would be one advantage. Any thoughts?
-Roberto
Roberto,
I just smoged my car for the second time and it passed with flying colors. I've got the SS headers x-pipe remus exhaust, powerchip, AA cai and a bunch of other stuff. They never checked or could tell if it had factory headers or not.
Boz

·
Registered
8,153 Posts
Nope...
I know that there are Cali members with SS headers which are not CARB compliant unlike Dinan's. Has this been an issue with any of you to pass smog in California?

-Roberto

·
10,456 Posts
why are you guys worried?
I brought my car to a local smog shop when it was due a couple years ago, he opened the hood, looked a little surprised, i pointed to the dinan CARB stickers (since his english was pretty limited), he nodded and closed the hood. Tail pipe emissions on these cars are very clean. Will be due again at the end of the summer this year.

I figure the avg smog tech probably will see a couple m5's in his shop per year, if that.

Oddly enough, my e34, which is more or less stock under the hood, worries me more, it's a bit more work to get it thru the tail pipe test.

Reactions: El Diablo
1 - 6 of 6 Posts