BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
696 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After a lot of investigations on this board and other sites I fin ally went for the supersprint race exhaust.
I really do prefer the eisenmann (judging from the videos/soundclips I have seen/heard but so far I havnt found any possibilities of ordering the eisenmann race from a local dealer in Hungary.

So we'll see how it all end up.....ohh btw.....it seems the race version is not TUV approved...does this mean that it wont pass the emissions control at the yearly control???

Any experience? I have Swedish reg car so its there I have to go through the control

Thanks

·
Registered
155 Posts
liquido said:
After a lot of investigations on this board and other sites I fin ally went for the supersprint race exhaust.
I really do prefer the eisenmann (judging from the videos/soundclips I have seen/heard but so far I havnt found any possibilities of ordering the eisenmann race from a local dealer in Hungary.

So we'll see how it all end up.....ohh btw.....it seems the race version is not TUV approved...does this mean that it wont pass the emissions control at the yearly control???

Any experience? I have Swedish reg car so its there I have to go through the control

Thanks
Try Eisenmann directly:
Tel: 07150 9574 0 or email them at [email protected] and they should be able to quote you a price and delivery to Hungary. Cant comment on the emission control but would have thought that if you leave the catalytic convertors in place then emissions shoudnt be a problem - unless they monitor noise levels!!

·
Registered
696 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I actually already tried contacting eisenmann but the reply I got was that the export manager was on vacations and would be back on the 30th of october :eek: .....sorry but I just CANT WAIT THAT LONG! :haha2:

Same thing as always....I decided for a new exhaust and I just had to order it right away.....I should work on beeing more patient I guess...

I just hope I didnt make a mistake choosing the SS over E because of lack of some damn patience

Ohh...btw...the SS race were actually half the price of what I understand an E race costs....I hope this doesnt mean the SS race are half as good.

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
I liked the Eisenmann sounds until I heard the SS sound. When it comes time for me to upgrade I will choose SS. Your decision is perfectly fine in my book! :)

Congrats.

Darren

·
Registered
439 Posts
liquido said:
I just hope I didnt make a mistake choosing the SS over E because of lack of some damn patience

Ohh...btw...the SS race were actually half the price of what I understand an E race costs....I hope this doesnt mean the SS race are half as good.
Don't worry, you won't be disappointed with the quality of the SS. I love the sound of mine, although it isn't as loud as the Eisenmann, it has a nice deep growl that doesn't give you a headache after a long drive. I have the x pipe with my race exhaust and it lets just the right amount of sound into the cabin without being intrusive. On the outside it has a nice growl in the low rpm's and a high pitched wail higher up in the rev band.:cheers:

·
Registered
696 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Which is the benefit of an X-pipe...ahh...could probably google it but why when I can ask the experts directly?!

Ohh Adam and Darren....If you would give the soundlevel of the SS race a number between 1-10 where stock volume is lets say 3....where would we end up?

·
Registered
421 Posts
Congrats on the purchase, but personally I think the SS Race is just a bit too loud for my taste.
But I might just get a resonator delete pipe instead. I don't think the performance gain was worth the price.
Anyway, please post some sound clip when you got it

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
Would removing the resonator be the same as installing a X-pipe? I'm interested in maintaining the same exhaust TONE as stock, but just a bit louder.

·
Registered
439 Posts
liquido said:
Which is the benefit of an X-pipe...ahh...could probably google it but why when I can ask the experts directly?!

Ohh Adam and Darren....If you would give the soundlevel of the SS race a number between 1-10 where stock volume is lets say 3....where would we end up?
The x pipe deletes the resonators by using straight pipes from the 2nd set of cats to the mufflers. By doing this it will make it slightly louder, and possibly a slight performance gain(SS claims 14hp with x pipe and race muffler, but Active Autowerke claims a 0hp gain). As far as the sound goes, if stock is a 3, then this would be a 6, and Eisenmann Race would be an 11. The nice thing about the SS is that when you are cruising at 70 mph you can't even tell you have an exhaust, but when you step on the throttle you can tell right away.

·
Registered
696 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
You can bet I will do a before and after video and I might even place a decibel meassurer at the right distance to have some real numbers and not just impressions....

"the problem" with most videorecorders is that as the sound level increases the recorder will automatically "decreas" the input sound recording to maintain an even level during a filming.....so db meassurer it is!

·
Registered
3,886 Posts
mcvaughan said:
Would removing the resonator be the same as installing a X-pipe? I'm interested in maintaining the same exhaust TONE as stock, but just a bit louder.
Then you definitely should remove the resonator. Just hook up with a good shop in your area that has experience with custom exhausts, and have them substitute straight pipes for the resonator. Very clean, definitely louder sound.

·
Registered
3,247 Posts
Wolverine said:
Then you definitely should remove the resonator. Just hook up with a good shop in your area that has experience with custom exhausts, and have them substitute straight pipes for the resonator. Very clean, definitely louder sound.
hey wolverine i thought that i was important to keep the so called "X" in the exhaust,due to the lower torque or something like that.

i mean to say should'nt/would'nt it be better to buy an x-pipe rather than have a shop fabricate strait pipes ??

i really have no clue,thats what i was told.. but i'd assume you had them put in staright pipes ??

so did you notice any differences good - bad ??

thanks neil

·
Registered
439 Posts
LI-M5 said:
hey wolverine i thought that i was important to keep the so called "X" in the exhaust,due to the lower torque or something like that.

i mean to say should'nt/would'nt it be better to buy an x-pipe rather than have a shop fabricate strait pipes ??

i really have no clue,thats what i was told.. but i'd assume you had them put in staright pipes ??

so did you notice any differences good - bad ??

thanks neil
Neil...The factory resonator has an "X"(actually an "H") in it right before the resonator itself. I believe Wolverine left the original "X" and removed the pipes right behind it with the resonator. He then just replaced the resonator with straight pipes with the stock "X" still there. :cheers:

·
Registered
4,813 Posts
I ordered SS race exhaust along with the x pipe which should be here any day now :1:

·
Registered
182 Posts
ditto black m5, x pipe and ss race, along with alot of acs stuff, can't wait to pick up the car and post pics, it's like waiting on another child to be born, except i have two boys and cars are always girls, fantastic ladies i should say! murph

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
For those of you that want something barely louder than stock but deeper @ idle, I would suggest the SS Sport. I just put it on my car and it is perfect (wife didn't notice it:haha: ) If I want it louder in the future, I will simply remove the resonators.

Cheers ///

·
Registered
3,886 Posts
Adam Bowles said:
Neil...The factory resonator has an "X"(actually an "H") in it right before the resonator itself. I believe Wolverine left the original "X" and removed the pipes right behind it with the resonator. He then just replaced the resonator with straight pipes with the stock "X" still there. :cheers:
Yes, I should have mentioned that. Make sure you keep the "X" just before the resonator. I was told by the guys that did my exhaust that the connection between the two pipes allowed for a bit more torque at low rpms, and you do not want to remove it if you don't have to.

As far as the sound difference, I made a couple soundfiles, before and after resonator removal.

http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=65352&highlight=resonator

Also, we compared my car's sound without the resonator to an M6 at the dealer, and the two are pretty much identical. The stock M6 exhaust is a little louder and more aggressive than the stock M5.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts