BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2006 BMW M5 SMG
490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've started several threads about my SMG saga and even after following the latest advice from Platii (Thanks again!), no change. I'm at the point I'm so fed up with SMG that I started doing quick research on MT conversion and decided to check some prices. I started by checking prices on E92 M3 flywheel and clutch and came across unbeliavable deal on Amazon which I immediately snatched:
I paid $254 for the clutch and 5 min. after my purchase it jumped to $384:
Then I paid $401 for the flywheel and same thing, 5 min later it jumped to $628:

After taxes and my 5% off Prime deal, I ended up paying $680 for both! Next step is looking for used tranny.

I've also finally finished the outside and inside of the car and it's pretty much done other than my friend needs to come and finish buffing the rest of the car.
When I bough it, seals on windshield and rear glass were gone, the wheels and tires were pretty much destroyed, all chrome was cheaply blacked out and Silverstone interior was very dirty and worn.
I've also installed all new badges and M5 emblem along with new OEM rubber mats and trunk mat.
The PO also installed straigt pipes but with some ugly and small tips so I installed proper 3.5" SS T304 Vibrant tips.
I need to finish the front suspension and slowly start on manual conversion.
Not the best pictures but it really turned out nice:

·
Registered
2,167 Posts
Nice.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Now there’s the proper use for those cheap workout mats. Respect on the dedication to the interior detail, actually I’m going to call that a restoration at that level.
If I ever finish the SMG refurb I’ve been wanting to red-dye my silverstone interior to freshen it up.

·
Registered
2006 BMW M5 SMG
490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Now there’s the proper use for those cheap workout mats. Respect on the dedication to the interior detail, actually I’m going to call that a restoration at that level.
If I ever finish the SMG refurb I’ve been wanting to red-dye my silverstone interior to freshen it up.
Thank you.
I should have really fixed SMG first but I simply could not keep looking at filthy and worn Silverstone interior.
And then it was the typical story, while in there do this and this...
But I can proudly say that it really turned out nice!
I have a lead on manual tranny but need to check few things first.

·
Registered
2006 BMW M5 SMG
490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Best of luck, took m3 about 6 months to source all the parts to swap my car. Take your time and get everything you need ahead of time.
Thank you.
Yes, that is the key, to make sure everything is there.

·
Registered
2,513 Posts
@BMW, success on same condition as yours, better to push the M back in and bleed the system. Or drive the car with the software in case you needed to push stuck gear to N if pressure dropped below the limit to be able to start the car. shifting gear will no doubt help the system get rid of entrapped air to help the pump build up pressure.

·
Registered
2006 BMW M5 SMG
490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
@BMW, success on same condition as yours, better to push the M back in and bleed the system. Or drive the car with the software in case you needed to push stuck gear to N if pressure dropped below the limit to be able to start the car. shifting gear will no doubt help the system get rid of entrapped air to help the pump build up pressure.
Platti, I truly appreciate it all of your help but I'm done with SMG for good. I've already sourced bunch of parts for manual swap and have plan ready. SMG is for sale on ebay where I stated everything I've doneto it and hopefuly someone will buy it and give it 2nd life.

Reactions: platii

·
Registered
2006 BMW M5 SMG
490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Good luck with the swap. Doesn't sound easy, but if you pull it off, the car will be worth more.
Thank you. It's been done and there is plenty of info here. Also, E39 Source has awesome 3 part video which is great help. I highly recommend anyone attempting this to watch it.

·
Registered
2006 BMW M5 SMG
490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
you seem skilled with the right tools. why not swap DCT or zf 8spd to move the platform more forward?
I believe those swaps would be much more difficult considering the wiring differences.
BMW already produced E60 M5 6 speed manual so coding and wiring can be and it's been done.

·
Registered
2,513 Posts
Good luck with the swap, I am a manual guy for sport cars or performance engines. The SMG is cool if I am driving the M5 daily. I wouldn’t go for the manual swap if only the reason is a continuous SMG failures. The SMG doesn’t continuously fails. Once all the issue is sorted which cost may be less than the manual swap project it will function properly with no headache. All depends on knowledge and preferences.

·
Registered
2006 BMW M5 SMG
490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Good luck with the swap, I am a manual guy for sport cars or performance engines. The SMG is cool if I am driving the M5 daily. I wouldn’t go for the manual swap if only the reason is a continuous SMG failures. The SMG doesn’t continuously fails. Once all the issue is sorted which cost may be less than the manual swap project it will function properly with no headache. All depends on knowledge and preferences.
Thank you.
I agree with you and my reasons for swaping are not necesarilly SMG issues only. But, reality is that I will sell it at some point and anual cars will always carry considerable premium over SMG. While it's not exactly cheap to do a swap, I'm doing pretty much everything myself (other than some coding and driveshaft) so that is a lot of money saved.

Reactions: platii

·
Registered
2006 BMW M5 SMG
490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Out of curiosity, are you finding the first transmission that fits the bill, or looking specifically for one from the E90 so it'll have the cooler?
I'm going with E90 M3 6 speed which is what BMW put in manual E60 M5 and I'm deleting the oil cooler as it didn't come come on E60 and I see no need for it.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts