BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

401 - 420 of 432 Posts

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter #401
Update time..

Steering box stripped & rebuilt with new BMW seals & dust cap. Then painted in Five coats of paint. Cross member painted in five coats of paint....in fact everything was coated in five coats of paint! :tonquesmilie:

Custom lower cross member strut brace fabricated & yes that was drowned in paint too......errr....just look at the pictures :typing:

Attachments

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter #403
My custom Hartge spec springs needed a refurb. Removed one of the dead coils from the rear springs.

Attachments

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter #404 (Edited)
Actually feel like it's getting there after five years of pain & toil. lovelove

Attachments

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter #406
New parts.

Attachments

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter #407
I was very disappointed & unhappy with my new brake lines. FritBitz had fitted them :nono: They were just rubbish & a complete waste of money. For some reason they thought it was ok for the brake lines to rub against the fuel lines over the back axle! :dunno:

The mad scientist sorted it though. He was able to reposition the lines properly & straighten them out. :applause:

Attachments

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter #408
Every square centimeter of the underneath was looked over. All the under arches were rubbed back to check for corrosion. The only area found to need attention was on the drivers side. The scientist got to work :biggrin:

Attachments

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter #411
Reconstruction & refurbishment of Alpina B10 long range aux tank.

Attachments

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter #413
Cad designed custom radiator by Pro Alloy. I had them powder coat it for longevity. Quick release fan fixtures designed in. They advised me not to run the viscous fan. I no longer need it apparently.

Attachments

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter #414 (Edited)
Gavin's custom work. He really is a genius. Which is why he called the scientist. The bracket screws into the existing holes in the airflow meter. Once again paint rather than polished for longevity.

This is my last post for now. Thought I would give everyone a break! The bodywork is now underway. Given the job to Gavin. More custom bits being fabbed & made. New design of front jacking points that will strengthen the floor area from the sills to the chassis legs.
When I have built up the picture bank I'll post the results.

Last pic is of my car at Gaydon a few years ago. I should make it this year again but with the finished article. Fingers crossed.

Attachments

·
Registered
74 Posts
Wow, I just finished reading 42 pages. Glad to see you are taking such great care of the car. Alot of inspiration there for the rest of us dreamers. I am in the research phase for my M635 and really appreciate you sharing all that you have. Can't wait to see more.

Take care,

Eric

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter #418
Wow, I just finished reading 42 pages. Glad to see you are taking such great care of the car. Alot of inspiration there for the rest of us dreamers. I am in the research phase for my M635 and really appreciate you sharing all that you have. Can't wait to see more.

Take care,

Eric
Thanks for the kind words Eric. I no it's not every ones cup of tea & most people will say I'm mad to have put myself though all the pain but it's my forever toy. I have learned more by doing it myself than I ever would just buying a car!

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter #419
Modifications to the body has started & is on going. Having all the welding work done at Corys Car Repairs by Gavin the mad man. TonyBMW was going to do it but he has been bogged down on another build for the past five months. He is making a bracket for me though as it is now NLA from BMW.

As you will see from the pictures this is the first time the rear spats have been off the car since it was made over 27 years ago! I was expecting the worst as the UK uses salt on the roads in winter.

Attachments

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter #420 (Edited)
This is where it gets interesting!

The standard jacking points are rubbish(!) so I have decided to do something a little different. The floor is effectively being triple skinned in that area. The new jacking points are being tied into the chassis rail & the sill & seam welded across the floor.
This will make it incredibly strong & at the same time provide very secure point for the car to be jacked up. I'm also having the chassis rails reinforced with 3mm steel plate which will also tie into the jacking points. The pictures show the boxing of the JP to clear the brake & fuel lines. Another sheet of steel will be used to form a seamless join from the inside of the wheel arch to the bottom of the JP.
The metal around JP area did not look too bad when it was cleaned up but that's not good enough for me so it's all being replaced.
Last pictures shows what I'm talking about & it shows Gavin's handy work. He is making all the new bits from 3mm thick flat sheet steel.

Attachments

401 - 420 of 432 Posts