BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just finished the install and now I have tunes that don't cut after 2 minutes but the screen is blank....I guess the screen could be shot, but I think I may need to install the software...

does anyone know if a bimmernav unit should run right out of the box?

Just to introduce myself:

I am a new M5 owner from Ma, bought a car that was on the site in the fall, its a red 00 with 28,000 miles. Some folks gave the former owner some grief for the trash on the floor. Maybe you remember it?

Super fun machine, for the record it was a late summer 00 and has not burned a drop of oil. Guess it had the ring upgrade.While I usually do most car repairs myself I had Turner motor sports flush all the fluids right off the bat just to start from scratch, diff, trans, brakes, coolant, plus new plugs air filters and a fuel filter. Wanted to have some experts look the car over and they gave the car a big thumbs up.

Thanks for any help!

·
Registered
848 Posts
so when you turn it on the radio comes on but nothing comes on the screen ever? if thats the case the nav unit is defective/broken.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
wow, nav is 24 hours old from bimmernav. Radio and cd work fine but there is nothing showing on the screen at all. I guess they could have sent a broken nav computer, but I don't know if the screen ever worked, since I bought the car with a bad mk2....

·
Registered
848 Posts
oh so the screen wasn't working before either, i assumed it did. then you might have a problem with the screen or both

·
Registered
595 Posts
Just finished the install and now I have tunes that don't cut after 2 minutes but the screen is blank....I guess the screen could be shot, but I think I may need to install the software...

does anyone know if a bimmernav unit should run right out of the box?

Just to introduce myself:

I am a new M5 owner from Ma, bought a car that was on the site in the fall, its a red 00 with 28,000 miles. Some folks gave the former owner some grief for the trash on the floor. Maybe you remember it?

Super fun machine, for the record it was a late summer 00 and has not burned a drop of oil. Guess it had the ring upgrade.While I usually do most car repairs myself I had Turner motor sports flush all the fluids right off the bat just to start from scratch, diff, trans, brakes, coolant, plus new plugs air filters and a fuel filter. Wanted to have some experts look the car over and they gave the car a big thumbs up.

Thanks for any help!
Have you upgraded from a mk 2 sat/nav to a mk4?
Also which screen do you have? 4.3 or 16.9?

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I had the mk2 this is an upgrade to mk4, and I have the 4:3 screen. I thought the bimmernav computer would have come with the latest firmware, they say it does on the site but also say you need to install it if the unit is new. But it sounds like it is reading cd's and the door does open and close so it must have software loaded.

·
Registered
3,184 Posts
Although unlikely on a unit from BimmerNav, which I'd assume has been tested, it is possible for the Mk IV to be coded for the 'Business Nav' system that uses a small orange screen on the E46, Z4 and X3. If it is coded for Business Nav you will get no display output.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The screen is totally dark but the buttons for the cd player and radio work and have orange lights which are on. The screen has no light at all.

I am starting to think I have a bad 4:3 screen. Any one have one that works for sale?

·
Registered
327 Posts
Your problem sounds exactly like the one I had and I had to reload v32 software into the Mk 4 to get it back. If that nav unit just came form Bimmernav, I'd be on the phone or email to them asking for a return or exchange. Bimmernav says they preload the nav unit with the latest software, so it should be displaying something.

I got my Bluetooth upgrade through Bimmernav and have always found them very responsive to customers. I'd send them an email and I'll bet you hear something Monday.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I'll give them a ring, unfortunately I bought the car with a bad Mk 2 so I really don't know if the screen ever worked. Wish I could try another working screen and see what happens. I did try installing the software after reading your post. Found an image online and burned it to a dvd, no luck.

I like the smaller screen, kinda want to stay stock, is there any way to buy a refurbished 4:3 screen?

Thanks for all the help every one!

·
Registered
111 Posts
I have the smaller 4:3 screen unit if you are interested in buying it. My email is michaelas1969 @ gmail

Also, (this may be too obvious-but why not mention it) make sure both connectors are securely plugged into the back of the nav unit.

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
1 - 16 of 16 Posts