BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The main(only?) thing that I didn't like about my M5 is that it's only distinctive sound was that of the VANOS knocking at idle. The only sensation that you can experience from this incredible engine is that of acceleration mashing you into your seat. The engine sound in fact is a purr that would put you asleep if it were not for your eyeballs being pressed against your brain.

My solution to this problem was a set of B&B Triflo mufflers that so far I am VERY happy with;

The old mufflers:
I couldn't believe the SIZE of the stock mufflers - four humongous "truck" mufflers that would make a AA Fuel Dragster sound like a weak fart - why did they do this? (Maybe they thought they were vying for the E55 geritol crowd).

B&B Construction:
All polished stainless, two individual mufflers with dual oval tips(sideways orientation) on each side that are slightly staggered to match the contour of the rear bumper.

Installation:
Very sraight forward installation that took only 45 minutes; 1)Mark appropriate distance in front of old mufflers and use a Sawzall to cut exhaust pipes. 2)Remove three bolts on each muffler pair assembly and remove old mufflers. 3)Slide on new B&B muffler assembly(the pipe is split on the end) and reinstall three bolts. 3) Tighten clamp over each split pipe end.
Everything fit perfectly without any tweaking and the exhaust tips lined up perfectly with the bumper. (sorry - no photos).

Sound:
* The engine at idle has a much more noticeable "purr"(I don't notice the VANOS anymore).
* The most prominent engine sound with the B&B's is in first gear at launch through 2,000 RPM. There is a distinctive "tight" resonant sound from 1,200-1,600 RPM that will let anyone near know that you are not driving a 4-6 cylinder rice burner.
*Above 2,000 RPM the sound is a "tighter growl" (not as loud) that reminds me of a Ferrari.
* With deceleration there is a disticntive resonant sound as the RPM drops - it is not too loud or obtrusive.
* Overall, I think the sound is a good compliment to a car of this stature and horsepower - you can hear the engine's beautiful notes but it is not too loud like an American "muscle car". Something I want to emphasize;in first gear up to 2,000 RPM you definitely hear a significant engine note(that's what I like about Ferrari's).

The sound recorded on the B&B website is pretty representative of the real thing(www.bbtriflo.com/sounds.html).

Horsepower:
I thought that it might have had a slight increase in horsepower(I could believe the previous thread that had a dyno run with 5-6 HP increase) That level of increase is hard to feel. I wouldn't buy it soley for the horsepower increase.

Cost:
The Triflo's were $1,100 including shipping and it cost $70 to have them installed at the local Santa Rosa muffler shop that B&B recommended.

I can't believe that some of the other competitors are charging $2,000-$3,000 for a set of M5 mufflers! Even the $1,100 for B&B's are exorbitant compared to similar quality products for high performance American cars. It was the best quality/value that I could find, so I sprung for it anyway.

Anyone that wants to hear it in person can visit me in Healdsburg. I know a certain road that will let you experience all of the engine's notes!

John

·
Registered
5,239 Posts
John -

Congratulations and thanks for the report. I only wish you had gotten the mufflers before our drive!

I would very much like to know if there are any speeds/rpms where you hear a resonance - i.e., the system is much louder at that exact RPM. If so - at what RPM? One problem I've heard of with some systems is such a resonance that rears its ugly head on long freeway cruises as a droning tht really gets on your nerves.

You didn't by any chance do a before/after with a sound meter, did you?

For any norcal folks planning an install, I own a sound meter - we can test inside and out at various speeds before and after.

Cheers -

/Greg

·
Registered
5,226 Posts
John,

I would love to hear the sound but, being in SoCal will make that difficult. Is there any difference in the car with the windows up?

I wonder what they would sound like at 150MPH? I guess you will just have to find out!

Mark

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Greg & Mark,

As I mentioned the only noticeable resonant point is around 1,400 RPM. This means that you would normally only experience it at launch in first gear because the gear-gear shift points should not typically drop you below 2,000 RPM (unless my wife is driving the car). That said, if you cruise at a steady 1,200-1,600 RPM in any gear you will notice the the resonant point. Personally, I don't mind the resonant sound - it isn't intrusive.

If you have the windows down, you definitely can hear the exhaust better. I have not experienced any nasty "cruising" resonances - as would be expected because the RPM should not be as low as 1,400 RPM when driving down the hiway..

Greg, if you wish we could get together with your sound meter and use your car as the "before" and my car as the "after".

John

·
Registered
5,239 Posts
John - great info and great idea. I would love to get together and do a "sound check" - I think it would be a great service to the members of this group - seems almost everyone is interested in this topic.

Why don't we take this off-line - you have my mobile number and email address - and we'll figure out when we might meet - and where!

Cheers -

·
Registered
417 Posts
Sounds like a great idea guys! Maybe snap some pictures too. I for one am heavily considering the Triflo exhaust.

-Shawn

·
Registered
5,239 Posts
FYI, guys -

John and I have talked off line - we WILL do this - but probably not until October. I'll get photos and a complete sound reading - interior and exterior at various RPMs, as well as interior sound at full and part throttle acceleration.

Cheers -

·
Registered
11 Posts
If you want to have a great quality myffler for the M5, you shoul order the kit from AC Schnitzer, part number: 1812 39 50, the price is app. 2700 Dm. Its probably the best mufler for this car.
The sound is great.
If you want to improve the handling of the car you should get this adjustable suspension kit price app 8000 Dm included removal of the V-max limiter.
part number:1100 39 52

·
Registered
844 Posts
Originally posted by ErikJ:
If you want to have a great quality myffler for the M5, you shoul order the kit from AC Schnitzer, part number: 1812 39 50, the price is app. 2700 Dm. Its probably the best mufler for this car.
The sound is great.
If you want to improve the handling of the car you should get this adjustable suspension kit price app 8000 Dm included removal of the V-max limiter.

How does it compare to the Tubi exhaust system ?

------------------

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I finally finished the photo's of the B&B Triflo installation on my M5.

I just finished running the car at a race track and I loved the sound. More importantly, I could better hear the motor RPM without having to look at the tach. There really is a beast of a motor hidden under those four big #@%#$ stock mufflers!
http://albums.photopoint.com/j/AlbumIndex?u=1230034&a=9102801

John

G

·
0 Posts
Originally posted by ErikJ:
The sound is great.

ive read a little on the AC suspension can you tell me what you like about it .how does it adjust?

G

·
0 Posts
Originally posted by MarkM5Lauderdale:
Hey Parkerfe, you like the Tubi Exhaust or sumthin?

Mark
p.s. Just kidding, everbody has that certain sound they're going for!
Ive seen pics on the tubi and ive seen flakeing and chippin on them are they really good quality?

·
Registered
311 Posts
JVLink, how the hell do you keep the car so clean, specifically the bottom of the car.

I saw no mud, grease, dirt, anything!

Do you even take it out for some fun

·
Registered
5,226 Posts
jvlink,

Nice pics. I wish I could have heard the new pipes when we got together a few weeks ago. Do you notice any change in noise other than acceleration? BTW, could you show me how to clean the bottom of my car like you do! You must have a lift at home.

Mark

·
Registered
844 Posts
Originally posted by MFREAK:
Ive seen pics on the tubi and ive seen flakeing and chippin on them are they really good quality?
Thats just the protective coating put of before shipping flaking off.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I realy don't crawl under my car and clean it with a toothbrush. The install had been done about two weeks before I took the pictures, so everything was still shiny and clean. After a month of having them installed they still look about as polished(no discoloring). Mark(MAH) will attest that I do aggressively excercise the beast(It is not a garage queen).

You can definitely hear the difference in sound in all gears - I just don't notice any "loud" sound when I'm cruising at highway speeds. The B&B's have definitely made it even more enjoyable to drive this awesome car.

John

·
Registered
5,226 Posts
Originally posted by jlvink:
Did you say we were driving agressive at some point? You would have to be a lot more specific than that. If I recall correctly, our spirited driving behavior almost landed me in the ditch! But, it was alot of fun and I do want to hear your new pipes at some point. Perhaps another get together when I get the 2001 in.

Mark

I realy don't crawl under my car and clean it with a toothbrush. The install had been done about two weeks before I took the pictures, so everything was still shiny and clean. After a month of having them installed they still look about as polished(no discoloring). Mark(MAH) will attest that I do aggressively excercise the beast(It is not a garage queen).

You can definitely hear the difference in sound in all gears - I just don't notice any "loud" sound when I'm cruising at highway speeds. The B&B's have definitely made it even more enjoyable to drive this awesome car.

John

·
Registered
53 Posts
Originally posted by MarkM5Lauderdale:
Hey Parkerfe, you like the Tubi Exhaust or sumthin?

Mark
p.s. Just kidding, everbody has that certain sound they're going for!
Hey Mark,
Thanks for the sound clips.Have you heard the Tubi system yet?So far I liked Dinans
the best but want to hear Tubi befor desiding.
Did you repaint your hood?Nasser

1 - 19 of 19 Posts