BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just installed a JBL 1200 subwoofer, alpine 700 Watt mono amp, and ice link adapter for my ipod (replacing the CD changer). Everything works beautifully! I have a 2001 w/ widescreen navigation and DSP. If anyone needs help or has questions.... I just finished installing so it is very fresh so.... ask away! I'll post pics later on today if you guys wanna see. cool.

·
Registered
612 Posts
Congratulations!

How does it sound? (Of course great, but can you provide more details?) How much (roughly) did this equipment cost for purchase and installation? Any drawbacks on the IPOD connection? (Where are you keeping the unit by the way? Does it go in the glove compartment?):confused2

Thank you!
Alfred

·
Registered
5,353 Posts
Please post pics!!!! :cheers:

·
Registered
63 Posts
nsxer said:
I just installed a JBL 1200 subwoofer, alpine 700 Watt mono amp, and ice link adapter for my ipod (replacing the CD changer). Everything works beautifully! I have a 2001 w/ widescreen navigation and DSP. If anyone needs help or has questions.... I just finished installing so it is very fresh so.... ask away! I'll post pics later on today if you guys wanna see. cool.
Are you having the problem of Icelink over-writing the NAV map screen and making the NAV useless when your iPod is on? Maybe Icelink fixed their software issue.

Looking forward to hearing (and seeing) more.
P

·
Registered
64 Posts
How does it sound ?

Hey if you're in Jax I'd love to see/hear your install. I've wanted to do the same thing myself to my '01. Did you do anything as far as upgrading your Navi software ? If you will post the steps of the process that would be great !!

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ok... here is some pix (i took them with my phone.. not very impressive)
prices--->
amp: about $200.00
Sub and enclosure: $350
Icelink w/dsp adapter: about 280.00

install time about 2 hrs

by the way, the system sounds great! perfect compliment to the stock mids and highs. I disconnected the factory nokia subs, fed them into a speaker level to line level adapter, then to the alpine amp. I turned off the crossover feature of the amp (because the dsp has already croosed the signal over for the nokias), i also turned any bass boost off on the amp, i'm running the amp level at about half. Once again... very good sound! If your in Jacksonville, I'd be happy to let you hear and see the install.

I set the ice-link to display text on the obc because displaying on the nav unit sucked! I love the ice link though! I set up 5 play list on my ipod 1_favorites, 2_hip-hop, 3_country, 4_Rock, 5_christian....... It works awesome! I just use the cd keys to change playlist. 20 Gigs of music... no more burning cd's! Holla!!!! anyway, I'm rambling... hopefully I answered most of the questions. If you have more... ask away!

·
Registered
354 Posts
Very nice install, got me interested.

I have a 2001 M5 as well but without premium sound (nokia subs). I'm not looking to add a sub but was wondering if the icelink has an aux input for another device or if something can be done to add that aux input. Thanks in advance.

Also, can I plug either a ipod photo (40GB) or an ipod mini for one icelink adapter?

-Jay

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
kiwi M & M said:

I have a 2001 M5 as well but without premium sound (nokia subs). I'm not looking to add a sub but was wondering if the icelink has an aux input for another device or if something can be done to add that aux input. Thanks in advance.

Also, can I plug either a ipod photo (40GB) or an ipod mini for one icelink adapter?

-Jay
Do you have the digital cd changer? the one that has the coax connector? if so, you could get an analog to digital converter and use the cd changer input....

·
Registered
512 Posts
kiwi M & M said:

-Jay
I have the 30 gig ipod photo connected to my icelink setup. They also have kits for the ipod mini.

I'm also running the display through the OBC, as the Nav display completely takes over the screen. Another problem I've experienced is that the radio will sporadically jump to FM for no reason while listening to the ipod. Overall, I will tolerate these minor inconviences to have access to my music library. I just hope that Dension will work out a solution.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ag Surfer said:
I have the 30 gig ipod photo connected to my icelink setup. They also have kits for the ipod mini.

I'm also running the display through the OBC, as the Nav display completely takes over the screen. Another problem I've experienced is that the radio will sporadically jump to FM for no reason while listening to the ipod. Overall, I will tolerate these minor inconviences to have access to my music library. I just hope that Dension will work out a solution.
if you use the "plug" version, as I did, you can use any gen 3 or above... the only reason the other versions wouldn't work is because of the cradle design.... also... I haven't had any issue with the radio switching to FM. It has worked perfectly. maybe it isn't software related, but instead a connection problem... just a thought.

·
Registered
512 Posts
nsxer said:
if you use the "plug" version, as I did, you can use any gen 3 or above... the only reason the other versions wouldn't work is because of the cradle design.... also... I haven't had any issue with the radio switching to FM. It has worked perfectly. maybe it isn't software related, but instead a connection problem... just a thought.
Its possible that there is a connection problem, but I doubt it, as several other members have posted that they too experience this problem. Did you have to use the digital/analog converter, or did you have both the 6 and 3 pin connectors to your CD Changer?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ag Surfer said:
Its possible that there is a connection problem, but I doubt it, as several other members have posted that they too experience this problem. Did you have to use the digital/analog converter, or did you have both the 6 and 3 pin connectors to your CD Changer?
I had to use the DAC with the Coax input

·
Registered
531 Posts
I have the 3 and 6 pin connects and also commented that I have the FM issue. It may be an issue with those not running the DAC/Coax setup. BTW-Why do some have this and others don't? My car has the M-Bass option.

I read on a Benz board that someone talked to Dension, and they are working on a new version of the Ice>link (redesgn, not firmware upgrade). That would be annoying since @Tom kept saying buy now, and we'll continue with out updates.

"I tried to buy an ice>Link Plus for my '04 G55 through Denison in Europe only to be told that the current product is no longer available and will be replaced in September by a better model with additional features. I've put myself on their waiting list and have asked for further details. They said the version which was sold in the US was made over components from several manufacturers and had issues which have been addressed in the new design."

·
Registered
5,353 Posts
I have the 3 and 6 pin connects and also commented that I have the FM issue.
I think it's a firmware issue. I have the same problem with the IceLink in my M3, which has the 3 and 6 pin connects. It's random and intermittent, and hasn't happened for quite some time now. (So of course it will happen all day tomorrow now!)

·
Registered
512 Posts
Need4Spd said:
I think it's a firmware issue. I have the same problem with the IceLink in my M3, which has the 3 and 6 pin connects. It's random and intermittent, and hasn't happened for quite some time now. (So of course it will happen all day tomorrow now!)
Same here, I have the 3 and 6 pin and I'm experiencing the FM issue.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts