BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone!

I've been trying hardly to get an "M5 Experience" but I couldn't find an M5 in my area for a test drive so I tried various BMWs, there is no substitute I'm sure, I had a go yesterday on an E46 M3 and I really loved it. The car is so stable that we were flicking it rapidly right and left changing lanes vigoursly at 125 Mph, the throttle is real responsive especially with the sport button on, the SMG was clunky though and harsh but it's what i expected from a real sequential; deadly fast changes. It can reach unreal speeds in a couple of seconds and I loved every bit of it.

Except that i need a 4 door M, how do you compare the M3 with the M5? From people who've owned or had alot of experience with both, besides the obvious facts i'd like to hear your comparisons.

·
Registered
3,176 Posts
seckindogan said:
If you liked the M3 you will for sure LOVE the M5!!!:15:
plus the four doors :cheers:

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
I 've owned 3 M3s and the M5 is simply a fantastic car.

You have a larger car, a more stable car, a more powerful car and a better looking car.

IMO, I would try and find a low milage E39 model vs the "New" M5.

The E60 or whatever it's called looks like a cross between a Pontiac and an Acura.

I think the E39 will become a classic - even if I had $ to burn, I would NOT buy the new M5 and certainly not the new M6.

The new 6 series to me looks awful with that rear end.

You will love the E39 M5 - trust us.

·
Registered
4,813 Posts
Other than the M5 might be down in the handling department (not by much)compared to the M3. The biggest difference is torque torque torque. Did i forget saying torque ? mmmmmm

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You will love the E39 M5 - trust us.
I would'nt have anyone else to trust than you guys when it involves the beast (I've been a silent reader for so long here, even before I registered)

The biggest difference is torque torque torque. Did i forget saying torque ? mmmmmm
Coming from a Supercharged D/A masterpiece soon to be owner, i'd have to take your word for that

But would I be able to beat my friend and his M3? (it's a coupe SMG) he does perfect shifts all the time and magazine times are all contradicting each other. He once had that limp mode phenomenon I hope it shows up when the race starts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Mohamed Yousef Naghi Motors BMW in Khobar currently has an Imola Red 2002 M5. Hamann exhaust. The picture is off of their website. I saw it briefly the other day as I was passing by the dealership.

<TABLE cellSpacing=1 cellPadding=0 width=420 align=center border=0><TBODY><TR><TD bgColor=#b9b9b9>
Model
</TD><TD bgColor=#cccccc> M5</TD><TD vAlign=center bgColor=#b9b9b9>
Int Color
</TD><TD bgColor=#cccccc> Black </TD></TR><TR><TD bgColor=#cccccc>
Year
</TD><TD bgColor=#cccccc> 2002</TD><TD bgColor=#cccccc>
Price SR
</TD><TD bgColor=#cccccc> 185,000 </TD></TR><TR><TD bgColor=#b9b9b9>
Kilometers
</TD><TD bgColor=#cccccc> 71,000</TD><TD bgColor=#b9b9b9>
Status
</TD><TD bgColor=#cccccc> AVAILABLE </TD></TR><TR><TD bgColor=#cccccc>
Ext Color
</TD><TD bgColor=#cccccc> Red</TD><TD bgColor=#cccccc>
</TD><TD bgColor=#cccccc height=10> Khobar (03-8577720)</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Attachments

·
Registered
2,136 Posts
If you start from 0 and only race to 60 itll be real close. Starting on the highway, you'll smoke em. the two cars are almost identical up untill 70 MPH. After that the M5 will gain a car lenth for every 5-10 seconds. My buddy has had a manual 02 and an SMG 03 M3. We would race every weekend. Why? I have no idea. My car at the time (m5) only had an exhaust and a intake system, so i didnt have to much of an advantage.
All in all there pretty close. Really would depend on who hits the hammer in the right gear better or first.

josh.

·
Registered
4,813 Posts
:) said:
But would I be able to beat my friend and his M3? (it's a coupe SMG) he does perfect shifts all the time and magazine times are all contradicting each other. He once had that limp mode phenomenon I hope it shows up when the race starts
For a fact, the M3 is lighter, less powerful and down on torque to the M5. But the weight of the beast becomes a handicap at the start. So the m3 jumps ahead slightly but the M5 reels the M3 and passes it at about 180 km/h (my experience against a SMG M3). Try from rolling the M5 would kill it cuz torque becomes the name of the game thus the M3 would have no chance :2:

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
I think the SMG E46 M3s are slower than standard 6-speeds in a drag race scenario from the times I've seen. The E39 M5 would be faster everywhere relative to an SMG version M3. Aside from that, what Josh says is right on the money. I found that my 2001 M5 with 100 octane, K & N filters, cool temps, low air pressure, and perfectly driven would be even with the M3 in first, put the M3 at my rear bumper in 2nd, and draw another 1/2-length by third, and at about 75 m.p.h. begin drawing away at a greater rate. At 75-80, my M5 would open up a fair distance, usually an additonal 3-4 car lengths by 120.

I had a number of drag races like this with the same result.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts