BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
21 - 40 of 72 Posts
That's a bummer. What were you racing against?

That's a bummer. What were you racing against?
Some fool in an S2000. After he won he was going to keep the S2000 so he and his dad could go cruising around when he got out of prison....:thumbsup:

sorry, couldn't resist a F&F reference.

Reactions: bhoffma1
Some fool in an S2000. After he won he was going to keep the S2000 so he and his dad could go cruising around when he got out of prison....:thumbsup:

cherrsagai

how about the public defender??
Forget about retaining a 'Public Defender.' I'm not a lawyer, but my understanding of what public defenders do, is to provide legal representation for people who can't afford it otherwise and usually for criminal matters.

Do a Google search and find the best lawyer for traffic violations in the jurisdiction in which your case will be heard. You want someone who regularly appears in these matters and knows the court and the prosecutor and vice versa.

Racing ticket puts a lot more points on your driver's license (enough points and it gets suspended) and it also costs a lot more.

One thing to remember with these sort of cases is that a lawyer who has a long history of working with the court house you're going to is as or more important that a high-end lawyer. It seems a gentleman's agreement is almost in place with lawyers and their judge buddies to always at least knock down the offense a bunch with a lawyer they know present. I've seen it a thousand times.

I've contested every single ticket I've ever received and won/dismissed about 90%. One time I got threatened with a racing ticket when I was driving fast and my friend was following behind me in a C230. When we got pulled over on that one the cops tried to trick us into incriminating each other by saying to the other one "your friend says you guys were racing." I told him I doubted it and that "racing is when you try to outrun someone else, not drive fast at the same time and that if I had been trying to race I would have been about 500 yards head easily." He got angry and yelled "Don't tell me what racing is! I know what racing is!" I knew it would get under his skin...I don't like cops and enjoy badgering them once I know they're going to be treating me unjustly.

100% agree. I've fought all my tickets on my own and have had the same outcome. I can also say im very experienced. 0 Points on my license.

I know you don't need me telling you this, but that sucks man!

Just the other day, the Girlfriend (E60 M5) and I (W211 E55 AMG) were driving out to her sister's house, and we were just kind of playing on the highway. Not really "racing" but I guess to a cop, it could look like we were. But to make a long story short, an officer passed us going the other way down the highway, while we were doing a good 100mph. And he slams is breaks, and does a U-turn. We turn off, and don't see him again, but damn it was scary!!

100% agree. I've fought all my tickets on my own and have had the same outcome. I can also say im very experienced. 0 Points on my license.
This guy 100% needs a lawyer though. Even w/my experience contesting these cases, if a cop got me for it and it wasn't a ridiculously full-of-holes case I'd get one too.

Limen, where did you run to? You get to your garage or just turn down some twisty streets and lose him.

I'm going to take a guess that this guy ends up missing a date and showing up to court and pleading guilt w/explanation...lol.

Go to expertlaw.com .. Look up user 'blewis' ... his name is Barry, he is a washington state lawyer. Ask him for a referral. DO NOT insult him with dumb requests for help, he doesn't do that and will not 'work' for free.

You will ignore most of the advice here, because you are young and cheap, and are not a fully mature human. You think than a misdemeanor violation is something you can just 'see what happens'...you want to avoid paying $2500 to an attorney, since that is you mod budget for the next year.

Let us know how big a fine you get and how long you lose your license.

A

Go to expertlaw.com .. Look up user 'blewis' ... his name is Barry, he is a washington state lawyer. Ask him for a referral. DO NOT insult him with dumb requests for help, he doesn't do that and will not 'work' for free.

You will ignore most of the advice here, because you are young and cheap, and are not a fully mature human. You think than a misdemeanor violation is something you can just 'see what happens'...you want to avoid paying $2500 to an attorney, since that is you mod budget for the next year.

Let us know how big a fine you get and how long you lose your license.

A
I've never met you in person but it seems to me....

Me. Young lawyer, i.e. slightly jaded.

You. Older lawyer, i.e. fully jaded.

Good advice though. :goldcup:

Meanwhile, the guy he raced is at home thinking...

<iframe title="YouTube video player" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/P1Zg7bTXRfU" allowfullscreen="" frameborder="0" height="390" width="480"></iframe>

I couldn't resist either.

I dont know how these things go in States... But still I just wonder, why you need lawyer? Just told them that you are killty and get your penalty? :cool2:

I have to go to court in next week about speeding too... Limit was 100km/h and speed was allmost double :mad: I have suffered now over 4 months without driving license. And in the court, I am not going to take lawyer with me. I did say the cops that I am killty and thats it.
Americans, despite being caught red-handed, often prefer to fight convictions such as these to the very bitter end.

Dont get a public defender
Its probably not racing, just speeding (idk why over 80 is "racing" in your jurisdiction, where I live 80 in a 65 is still misdemeanor speeding and another car must be visible speeding to be racing)
Its probably not a big deal, misdemeanor speeding ticket... few points on license that go away in a couple years, you pay $100 more a year insurance.

Not sure exactly how it is in your state but an 80mph speeding ticket, around here, usually isnt a huge deal (assuming it was on the highway, and isolated)

FWIW I fight ALL my speeding tickets and 2/3 times the cop did NOT even show. The ONE time the cop showed was because it was criminal speeding (43 over, years and years ago). Basically I make sure to not be remembered, so when it comes time for him to go to the court date, he wont even remember me to convict me so he will spend his time giving 2-3 speeding tickets out on the streets instead of in court ensuring I get my 7mph over ticket.

Also, I cant even give good advice here because our info is so spotty... for instance if it was on the highway, alone, going 80, it should not be racing, it should just be a speeding ticket, in which case he doesnt really need to get a lawyer. If he was alone and got a racing ticket he needs a lawyer, racing tickets are a much bigger deal and he can fight the racing conviction if he was alone. Racing tickets are more a big deal to insurance versus anything else. He can probably argue to pay the fine in full but not get points or get reduced points or an altered sentencing (shows on insurance as speeding not racing).

GL

to the OP:

what are the laws for speeding, excessive speeding and street racing in Washington state?

I'm assuming they must be somewhat similar to what they are up here in BC now. Excessive speeding here is if you are caught doing 40kmph (~25mph) over the posted limit, at which point you get 3 points, a ticket, your car is impounded for 7 days (on a first offense), your insurance premiums go up for 3 years, you pay the towing and impoundment fees but get to keep your license. Do it again within the next three years of the first offense and the fines go up, more points are added, car gets impounded for even longer (usually a month) plus they may even take your license away.

Get caught street racing up here in BC? Car gets crushed from what I'm told plus various tickets, points, fees, etc.

It got really crazy up here over the last few years especially after the F&F movie franchise began. A lot of the street racing types here did stupid things, people died, heck one incident involved an officer getting killed. Quite literally the crack down on speeding has come about from the past 10 years of motoring incidents involving "excessive" speed, racing and *****s related to said incident (mostly of innocent bystanders on the sidewalks, park benches, etc.). I for one feel that 40kmph over the posted limit of the highways here is a bit annoying, considering most people drive an average speed which is practically 40kmph over anyways! However, to do 40kmph over the posted limit in the city (where the speed limits is 50kmph [~31mph]) is very much warranted simply due to the fact that it's unsafe as in a city you do have pedestrians and other hazards to worry about much more frequently than you would on a highway.

Guess what I'm saying is, you got caught... own up to it, I hope you learn from this and that they don't do anything too crazy to you like crush your car, slow down and stop letting everyone egg you on into a race as the out come is never good. Who knows, imagine in 10 years the same stuff that happened here happens there, then what? You guys ALL have to deal with rather extreme laws as well.

Forget about retaining a 'Public Defender.' I'm not a lawyer, but my understanding of what public defenders do, is to provide legal representation for people who can't afford it otherwise and usually for criminal matters.

Do a Google search and find the best lawyer for traffic violations in the jurisdiction in which your case will be heard. You want someone who regularly appears in these matters and knows the court and the prosecutor and vice versa.

I know many, if not most, states and jurisdictions will not provide a Public Defender unless you're below the poverty line by whatever criteria has been legislated.

Find a good local traffic lawyer. Lots of people like Jag Matto or Jeannie Mucklestone. It will probably be cheaper in the long run.

Next, stop doing stupid stuff on public roads. No matter the hour of day (or night), I have never seen that stretch of I5 without at least some traffic... Not exactly the safest place for 2x the speed limit.

Guys, to be fair, it takes a split second to get to 120mph in our cars. You're crawling along quietly at 80mph and for god knows what reason you squeeze the throttle a little too happily and bam...so, lets not get too carried away. Weaving through lanes and such is another thing altogether.

Find a good local traffic lawyer. Lots of people like Jag Matto or Jeannie Mucklestone. It will probably be cheaper in the long run.

Next, stop doing stupid stuff on public roads. No matter the hour of day (or night), I have never seen that stretch of I5 without at least some traffic... Not exactly the safest place for 2x the speed limit.

+1....not a smart spot to be doing those speeds....I understand how easy it is to hit 120, not saying I haven't been there nor am I judging you for going there...but you gotta be a bit wiser than that here in Seattle. I'm also wondering where the HP officer was when he spotted you, unless you passed him my only guess is that he was either posted on or entering via an on-ramp.

DEFINITELY do not get a public defender! Get a good traffic lawyer. It may be expensive but in the long run, you will save money in insurance costs. My neighbor had a Viper - the one with large blue racing stripes down the center that attracts police wherever it goes. He got stopped for 127 mph in a 65 mph zone and spent close to one thousand dollars on one of the best traffic lawyers in the city. The result - the ticket was reduced to a non moving $ 750 muffler violation. The total cost was close to two thousand, but NO POINTS, no liocense suspension, no traffic school, and no increased insurance cost. Don't ask me how the lawyer did that, but I learned a lesson, that when you're in a real jam, spend the bucks on the best lawyer you can afford!

^^Funny. "best traffic lawyer" in Missouri town is "almost $1000".

Here in California I'd say $2500.

But agree that you need to spend $$$ when it is over and above the standard traffic infraction.

Wow, this is my exit. I guess we must all be careful. I have a question and some very helpful advice:

1. What type of cop car was it? Normal statetrooper or unmarked trooper?

Advice:

I have had numerous encounters with the law for various traffic violations (of course none of them I commited) and I have used one of the best traffic lawyers in the state. Her name is Jeannie Mucklestone. I have used her at least 10 times and have had 100% success (as in tickets dismissed). She charges normally $500. I am refering her because she normally gets the tickets dismissed; not just some plea or reduction. Her website is:

https://www.mucklestone.com/index.php

Good luck and let us know some more details; especially about how to avoid the situation you found yourself in. Thanks,

Jacob

21 - 40 of 72 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.