BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
273 Posts
Where'd you get it?

That's the risk you take running the cars on roads. I've definitely done it before, but know that there can be consequences...

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
seattle , i5
is there any possibilities that i can change the amount of ticket that i got . because i need to go to the court

·
Registered
3,085 Posts
How fast did he clock you at? ...and yes...get a lawyer.

There's no denying that I exceed the speed limit, but as a general rule of thumb I never run with other cars on the road for this very reason. Big difference between a speeding violation and being cited for racing.

Best of luck going forward.....where on I-5?

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
How fast did he clock you at? ...and yes...get a lawyer.

There's no denying that I exceed the speed limit, but as a general rule of thumb I never run with other cars on the road for this very reason. Big difference between a speeding violation and being cited for racing.

Best of luck going forward.....where on I-5?
the police just said that its above 80. on exit 172 . this is my first time getting this . :crying2:

·
Registered
857 Posts
Last year, a Lotus and I took off at a light. He had the jump on me because I wasn't sure if he wanted to go. I was quickly catching him. In the middle of second gear, we both hit the brakes because we saw a cop hiding.

Long story short, the cop asked me if I could really beat a Lotus... LOL

Good luck with your ticket!

·
Registered
537 Posts
I dont know how these things go in States... But still I just wonder, why you need lawyer? Just told them that you are killty and get your penalty? :cool2:

I have to go to court in next week about speeding too... Limit was 100km/h and speed was allmost double :mad: I have suffered now over 4 months without driving license. And in the court, I am not going to take lawyer with me. I did say the cops that I am killty and thats it.

·
Registered
797 Posts
It comes down to insurability and the costs of insurance. A "racing" conviction can cost you many times the fine and lawyer fees in increased insurance costs. A good lawyer can get it reduced or even deferred where your insurance is not effcted at all.

dj

·
Registered
3,085 Posts
I dont know how these things go in States... But still I just wonder, why you need lawyer? Just told them that you are killty and get your penalty? :cool2:

I have to go to court in next week about speeding too... Limit was 100km/h and speed was allmost double :mad: I have suffered now over 4 months without driving license. And in the court, I am not going to take lawyer with me. I did say the cops that I am killty and thats it.
A lawyer in the states can go a long way in reducing charges and subsequently the fines attached to them. There's always the likelihood that you spend more in lawyer fees than you would on the ticket, but depending on the situation, he could definitely benefit.

A lawyer can help you prove that you weren't actually racing, effectively reducing a reckless endangerment charge down to just a speeding fine....huge difference in the long run, especially on your insurance premium.

·
Registered
147 Posts

Sorry to hear that, so this is the reason your car rests at Raikkus garage :3:

What's the difference with getting a speeding ticket vs getting cited for racing?

·
Registered
164 Posts
Racing ticket puts a lot more points on your driver's license (enough points and it gets suspended) and it also costs a lot more.

One thing to remember with these sort of cases is that a lawyer who has a long history of working with the court house you're going to is as or more important that a high-end lawyer. It seems a gentleman's agreement is almost in place with lawyers and their judge buddies to always at least knock down the offense a bunch with a lawyer they know present. I've seen it a thousand times.

I've contested every single ticket I've ever received and won/dismissed about 90%. One time I got threatened with a racing ticket when I was driving fast and my friend was following behind me in a C230. When we got pulled over on that one the cops tried to trick us into incriminating each other by saying to the other one "your friend says you guys were racing." I told him I doubted it and that "racing is when you try to outrun someone else, not drive fast at the same time and that if I had been trying to race I would have been about 500 yards head easily." He got angry and yelled "Don't tell me what racing is! I know what racing is!" I knew it would get under his skin...I don't like cops and enjoy badgering them once I know they're going to be treating me unjustly.

·
Registered
797 Posts
Racing ticket puts a lot more points on your driver's license (enough points and it gets suspended) and it also costs a lot more.

One thing to remember with these sort of cases is that a lawyer who has a long history of working with the court house you're going to is as or more important that a high-end lawyer. It seems a gentleman's agreement is almost in place with lawyers and their judge buddies to always at least knock down the offense a bunch with a lawyer they know present. I've seen it a thousand times.
+1 I agree completely. It always helps when your lawyer golfs with the ADA or judge. Or when a Senator recommends a certain lawyer, but that's another story. :biggrin:

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
i saw my spedo is at 120 but the police just said that its above 80. on exit 172 . this is my first time getting this . :crying2:
Ok. So many things wrong with this. Head...swirling...must...make...coherent...statement.

Don't admit things like you saw your speedo at 120. This is a public forum and anybody, including the cop who cited you or someone who works for the police or the DA, could be reading this. Don't make any incriminating admissions to anyone besides your lawyer, not even your friends or family.

Second of all, get a real traffic lawyer. A PD will get you nowhere, if your jurisdiction even offers one to you for a violation like this. I'm a tax lawyer and I woudn't know the first thing about defending you. Neither would most PD's.

Third, as your grasp of english is not impressive, now is not the time to cut corners because it's obvious your attorney will be doing most of the critical thinking and reasoning on your behalf. I could probably argue my way mostly free of this but you will be relying on your counsel. Pay for quality.

Fourth, count on a very heavy fine and/or losing your license for a period of time. If this is your first offense you can probably avoid jail but don't walk into court expecting that, be humble, be apologetic, and DO WHAT YOUR LAWYER TELLS YOU TO DO!

Fifth, don't street race. Its dumb and dangerous.

Sixth, good luck.

·
Registered
3,011 Posts
Very good recommendations above.
I know in CA, at least at some point, if found guilty of street racing, would crush the cars involved to prove a point. Extreme measure? Yes. Effective? To a certain extent yes..a lot of kids were scared straight to get caught so the street race scene went down in popularity.

Get a lawyer and like said above, do what he says...and stay away from a PD.

·
Registered
6,918 Posts
+1 I agree completely. It always helps when your lawyer golfs with the ADA or judge. Or when a Senator recommends a certain lawyer, but that's another story. :biggrin:
+1 Couldn't agree more. Retain a lawyer who is familiar with the district court that will handle the hearing. A smart lawyer will even know which day of the week to go trying to get a reduced plea (some judges are more stubborn than others). A good lawyer can turn a speeding ticket to a "failure to signal" citation, and is worth every penny!

1 - 20 of 72 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.