BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
4,143 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey guys just today i got my beast back from doing the stock headers decatt and I got say i love the sound and power output but i've noticed I'm smelling too much gasoline, actually its a little too much when i have my windows rolled down, any options out there that can stop the smell?

·
Registered
4,143 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Registered
3,940 Posts
You can re-install the factory secondary cats and it will get rid of the smell or go with some high flow cats which cut the smell down drastically also. My rear bumper doesn't get stained because I wax it. Although I have seen bumpers get stained over long term without any paint protection of some sort.

I don't mind the smell. I mean it bothers me if it gets on my clothes when I don't want it to so I shut off the car whenever I have to get out or am in an enclosed area. I had some thoughts of going with HJS high flow cats but I wouldn't be able to shoot flames anymore so I decided against it hehe.

Did you buy from Ryan @ RMS?

·
Registered
436 Posts
Does deleting the primary cats have and negative side effects on the motor? Also how much did it run you to get this done? POST A VID!

·
Registered
267 Posts
I have test pipes on my Nissan 350Z, and I got tired of the smell as well. Like others mentioned, oem cats or high flow cats can eliminate or lessen the smell.

·
Registered
13,463 Posts
Had mine removed 3 years ago and have never smelt it that bad unless you are in a garage and start it up. Even had cops following me and they never noticed either hiha

·
Registered
279 Posts
apparently you guys have never owned a motorcycle..... its the smell of POWER!

Reactions: umichchris

·
Registered
1,879 Posts
All kidding aside-I don't like that smell either-nor do my lungs. At one point, I considered hi-flo cats but there is so much pollution out here that I decided against it. We're probably better off with maintaining the existing pollution systems as our cars are pretty fast without resorting to dismantling the anti-pollution systems.
However, I do understand the search for more power-good luck to all of you on the voyage!
Bill

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
You'll eventually get used to the smell. Doesn't even phase me anymore. After I got my RPi catless headers installed I was like "uh oh, this smells", but I don't mind it at all anymore.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

Reactions: MIGHTY5

·
Registered
769 Posts
I've been debating if I should stick my chin out or not, but I just can't help thinking it's pretty environmentally irresponsible to completely remove the catalytic converters. These cars spew out enough exhausts as it is and sooner or later they will be banned in most parts of the world. I'm afraid it'll be sooner rather than later too. So lets not encourage the politicians to make that decision sooner than necessary, please. Think one step further ahead, past your own short-term satisfaction.
And the OP is right btw, it smells like sh*t!

There are high flow cats to use instead, if you really need to do this particular mod to get your few extra ponies, when there are loads of other mods to choose from.
For those of you seeking that extra power, I can happily report that supercharging my beast was the best thing I did to it. It gave me more power than I was able to utilize (most of the time) and also better MPG when cruising. And that was with the stock catalytic converters intact!

Reactions: irishbimmer

·
Registered
16 Posts
If the primary header cats are removed and the secondaries are retained, how much power is gained?

I've heard anywhere from 10 hp to 40 hp. I've searched on here but can't find any dyno data to support.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Cant wait to see what the dyno says on your car Mike...

·
Registered
3,940 Posts
I've been debating if I should stick my chin out or not, but I just can't help thinking it's pretty environmentally irresponsible to completely remove the catalytic converters. These cars spew out enough exhausts as it is and sooner or later they will be banned in most parts of the world. I'm afraid it'll be sooner rather than later too. So lets not encourage the politicians to make that decision sooner than necessary, please. Think one step further ahead, past your own short-term satisfaction.
And the OP is right btw, it smells like sh*t!

There are high flow cats to use instead, if you really need to do this particular mod to get your few extra ponies, when there are loads of other mods to choose from.
For those of you seeking that extra power, I can happily report that supercharging my beast was the best thing I did to it. It gave me more power than I was able to utilize (most of the time) and also better MPG when cruising. And that was with the stock catalytic converters intact!
Mine isn't my daily driver but I get what you're saying. My daily is a lot more fuel efficient and more environmentally friendly lol.

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
You'll get used to the smell. You won't even notice it anymore in a few weeks.

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
This is the primary reason I haven't done this yet. My car isn't my daily driver so I don't think I'd ever get used to the smell. Drove behind a buddy of mine that had catless headers with full RPI exhaust (Dustin - member: duhawks) on a 5 hour mountain run a couple of years ago. I thought I was going to be sick from all the fumes. Even though I don't drive my car often I agree that it's not worth the environmental harm for a few more ponies. I'm not even sure I'd do high flow cats at this point. S/C is probably the way to go if you just have to have more HP.

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
Every time I smell a car without cats burning 91 octane, it reminds me being stuck in a taxi in traffic in Mexico. That smell is straight nasty.

Race gas burns much better...

I would never completely decat this car.

1 - 20 of 58 Posts