BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So I can officially joing the busted SMG crowd, but thankfully, with the help of M5Board member YKJones I am back on the road again. I started having issues with an intermittent red or yellow cog from time to time but no noticeable change in how the car drove. Then finally the SMG pump gave up the ghost. The pump priming noise seemed to be a different pitch and more strangled (possibly just in my head) and the car wouldn't stay in manual mode, it would keep kicking into D. I babied the car home and did a little research on the replacement process and how it goes with my Zurich warranty. YKJones, a member of this board that's semi-local to me referred me to a shop in Murrieta (half-way between Corona and San Diego) called Autohaus Frankfurt. He had many nice things to say about their level of professionalism and how friendly they are, as well as their experience in dealing with Zurich.

So, the next morning I took a leap and called them. They told me to come on down, so my girlfriend and I took the M down to Murrieta and met with the folks at Autohaus. Something that is really cool about these folks is that they're family-owned and operated. Everyone there is super friendly and the techs (Rich and Erik) are both extremely qualified and very knowledgeable. I felt good about leaving my M with them and they were kind enough to set us up with one of their loaner cars.

The only downside to the whole experience was in Zurich's involvement though even that wasn't so bad. I'm not complaining that they didn't do their job, because they did and I'm thankful I have a warranty through them, but they seemed to be fairly difficult throughout much of the process. Autohaus said they had had nothing but great luck with Zurich through the years and they have never had to struggle to get something covered, but on my car it seemed like Zurich was quick to only offer up partial coverage at first. When asked to cover the faulty SMG hydraulic unit, they only offered to pay a percentage of the cost at first claiming that the quoted price for the part was too high for them (despite it being the standard price as Autohaus told me). Rich, the technician, had also tried to get the clutch covered under the warranty as there were some mystery gouges around the hub of the clutch disk. Zurich said no and that the clutch was a wear item (not an uncommon answer at least) and sent someone to inspect all of the pieces to make sure. This whole process took the better part of last week. After the inspector reported his findings, Zurich agreed to warranty the SMG unit, but stood by their assessment that the clutch was a wear item and stated the gouges were simply a result of the production process. I can't fault them for this and definitely wasn't just trying to score a free clutch. I was told that the only time they typically warranty the clutch itself is if it causes any other parts to fail or if there's a major malfunction with the rivets or the teeth on the flywheel.

I did jump at the opportunity to replace the clutch regardless of warranty as the labor was already covered and I was offered a very fair deal on all of the parts. Throughout the entire process, Rich, Andrea, and everyone at Autohaus was extremely friendly and patient with me and explained everything that was going on and all of the work that was done. I couldn't be happier with my experience with them and the car is back home now running and driving great! Another big thank you to YKJones for the recommendation and to Autohaus for the excellent work. Anyone from the IE and San Diego areas - I highly recommend Autohaus for any and all repair and maintenance work you might need done on your Beasts!

Kris

·
Registered
975 Posts
good to know, I live 20 min from Murrieta and needed a good shop just in case....how much was the clutch?

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Definitely a great place to go. I went down all the way from Chino Hills. It's a bit of a drive but worth it for the peace of mind.

The clutch and associated parts usually can run around $1,000-$1200, sometimes a bit more depending on the parts source. I know some people get better pricing from internet sources and such, though since Autohaus was so great through the whole process I was happy to give them the business on the parts since the warranty covered all of the labor. As a favor to them, I won't publicize the exact cost I paid (they worked a very fair deal for me though) and would suggest talking to them directly. They're good folks and don't seem to price jack. :)

·
Registered
1,917 Posts
So I can officially joing the busted SMG crowd, but thankfully, with the help of M5Board member YKJones I am back on the road again. I started having issues with an intermittent red or yellow cog from time to time but no noticeable change in how the car drove. Then finally the SMG pump gave up the ghost. The pump priming noise seemed to be a different pitch and more strangled (possibly just in my head) and the car wouldn't stay in manual mode, it would keep kicking into D. I babied the car home and did a little research on the replacement process and how it goes with my Zurich warranty. YKJones, a member of this board that's semi-local to me referred me to a shop in Murrieta (half-way between Corona and San Diego) called Autohaus Frankfurt. He had many nice things to say about their level of professionalism and how friendly they are, as well as their experience in dealing with Zurich.

So, the next morning I took a leap and called them. They told me to come on down, so my girlfriend and I took the M down to Murrieta and met with the folks at Autohaus. Something that is really cool about these folks is that they're family-owned and operated. Everyone there is super friendly and the techs (Rich and Erik) are both extremely qualified and very knowledgeable. I felt good about leaving my M with them and they were kind enough to set us up with one of their loaner cars.

The only downside to the whole experience was in Zurich's involvement though even that wasn't so bad. I'm not complaining that they didn't do their job, because they did and I'm thankful I have a warranty through them, but they seemed to be fairly difficult throughout much of the process. Autohaus said they had had nothing but great luck with Zurich through the years and they have never had to struggle to get something covered, but on my car it seemed like Zurich was quick to only offer up partial coverage at first. When asked to cover the faulty SMG hydraulic unit, they only offered to pay a percentage of the cost at first claiming that the quoted price for the part was too high for them (despite it being the standard price as Autohaus told me). Rich, the technician, had also tried to get the clutch covered under the warranty as there were some mystery gouges around the hub of the clutch disk. Zurich said no and that the clutch was a wear item (not an uncommon answer at least) and sent someone to inspect all of the pieces to make sure. This whole process took the better part of last week. After the inspector reported his findings, Zurich agreed to warranty the SMG unit, but stood by their assessment that the clutch was a wear item and stated the gouges were simply a result of the production process. I can't fault them for this and definitely wasn't just trying to score a free clutch. I was told that the only time they typically warranty the clutch itself is if it causes any other parts to fail or if there's a major malfunction with the rivets or the teeth on the flywheel.

I did jump at the opportunity to replace the clutch regardless of warranty as the labor was already covered and I was offered a very fair deal on all of the parts. Throughout the entire process, Rich, Andrea, and everyone at Autohaus was extremely friendly and patient with me and explained everything that was going on and all of the work that was done. I couldn't be happier with my experience with them and the car is back home now running and driving great! Another big thank you to YKJones for the recommendation and to Autohaus for the excellent work. Anyone from the IE and San Diego areas - I highly recommend Autohaus for any and all repair and maintenance work you might need done on your Beasts!

Kris
I'm glad my shop worked out for you man. They are just awesome, down to earth and treat their customers like their family. Glad to hear your beast is up and running again. We are running up to Bimmerfest tomorrow from Temecula.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks again man. I wish I could make it out, but my folks are in town and tomorrow's my mom's birthday. I'll be there in spirit though and hope it's a good time for everyone (and there's no cop trouble!)

Kris

·
Registered
296 Posts
Thanks for posting your findings kris! I'm going to keep them in mind for the future. Btw glad to see another member from the fine city of chino hills ;)

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks! I've seen a couple of M6's around town, I wonder if we've ever crossed paths. We live over in the Fairfield Ranch area. :)

·
Registered
296 Posts
Thanks! I've seen a couple of M6's around town, I wonder if we've ever crossed paths. We live over in the Fairfield Ranch area. :)
I haven't driven the m6 much. But i see that you have a mustang. I've been driving my boss 302 mostly. I live rigt next to the shoppes

1 - 10 of 10 Posts