BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got mine last night... 2001 Anthracite with Caramel Luxury (exclusive) interior. I am soooooo excited. I can't wait to get home to sit back down in the garage and stare at it (it's pouring in NYC today, driving it in the ). I need advice, however, from any/all New York State owners... I can't bring myself to drill holes into the beutiful front bumper to mount the front license plate. What are the legal reprocussions in New York if I decide NOT to mount the front plates? Are the tickets worth points? Will they get you when you are parked? How bad can it get? Any help will be greatly appreciated.... it seems sacriligious to deface such a beautiful machine!

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
hey ancharite,
congrats

i hated putting on the front bumper also, it does suck. But i think we have no option, and i dont remember exactly, but the fines are supposedly quite a bit in NJ for no front plate, not sure about NY.
come to our meet, i think you will enjoy it quite a bit, being that yours is new, i think you will have even more fun.

fas

·
Registered
138 Posts
Hey, I have the same problem. I own Silverstone 2000 M5 and also refused to mount the front license plate. Well one day I got caught in NYC and the cop let me go. Another time I was not that fortunate -- I got a ticket in Great Neck LI, the cop stopped for another reason though and saw a missing front-license plate.
So I got 2 tickets instead of one. Anyway my lawyer handled this and it was dismissed.
You should prepare to be stopped and have a good explanation, if not you will get a ticket. Although I doubt there will be any point, but my lawyer sayd it will appear on your driving record unlike parking tickets.
Well, I am still driving without a front license plate.

Albert.

·
Registered
2,158 Posts
Congradulations & welcome!

As far as the front plate don't even hesitate about putting it on. I have first hand experience with NY State troopers about this very issue. When driving an M5 it's like having a bullseye painted on your back. No front plate only makes is worst. Avoid the harrasment or register your car in FLA or

Now there's an idea!

Enjoy!

·
Registered
92 Posts
The last time i got a ticket for not having a front plate the ticket was $75. And i was parked when it happened!

·
Registered
372 Posts
Where I live, front plates are not required. In fact, the government vehicle registrar won't even provide you with one... one rear plate for each car only.

But the dealers still sell cars with front plate holders... lots of buyers from out-of province I guess, or maybe they have to.

Anyways, to the original poster:
Some front plate holders don't require putting holes in the front of the bumper. Some have a design that wraps underneath and around to the back. So with this type you could put the holes in the bottom or even back of the bumper, where they will be hidden. You might want to put some felt or rubber stops or tape on the bumper where the plate holder rests, otherwise it will slowly scratch and wear against the paint on the bumper.

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
Hi albert,
why dont you email me at [email protected] I will give you all the info there. Also i see more people from the area ( i think i saw one from yonkers). anyway, all you guys are invited, the more the merior (sp?).

fas

·
Registered
238 Posts
Blue max,

How would you register a car in Fla?

We're paying so much property taxes (maybe that's why so many cars in CT don't have front licence plates

Vas

·
Registered
2,158 Posts
1) You can buy/rent a home there or...

2) Have a relative or whatever register it in their name. (sounds like a logistical nightmare)

With the number of FLA plates I see on Long Island & the NYC area this must be precisely what people are doing. The lower sales taxes & insurance are probably the primary reasons.

#1) is my favorite

Enjoy!

·
Moderator Emeritus
10,698 Posts
I dont think its worth the trouble- put the plate on. But I wish you all the best if you dont because I decided to put the plate on and it would definately look better w/o it. That said, I dont think the plate makes it look that bad.

ME

·
Registered
5,239 Posts
Too bad about the NY cops. I haven't put a front plate on my last 3 cars here in CA and I have never been hassled over it - even when receiving speeding tickets....

·
Registered
1,850 Posts
Congrats, you can just put in next to you and then just put it on you dash and tell the cop that's it is on order that's what I do with my 993 tt here in CA and always got away with it.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts