BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
707 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Fantastic trip with our very own Kurt Ramsden in his Stuttgart Special (944 Turbo with a few extra ponies - great car).

Anyone who hasn't been to this place really has to make the effort to get over there.

It's everything everyone says about it. Words cannot describe it.

Gran Turismo 4 doesn't truly capture the nature of the corners or gradients, so that's a poor substitute - and I wouldn't recommend it as preparation either.

Great to soak up the atmosphere as well.

Hopefully, will have enough cash for a return trip next year......

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
**** - I keep meaning to make the trip, its only "a few" km's down south across the water.
Rob - where did you stay? did you stay near the Ring, and what is the normal price for a hotel around the area?

I still have not planned my trip to the uk yet, but will let you know as soon as I have.

rgds

J

·
Registered
707 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Can't remember the place we stayed or the name of the hotel - can find out though.

Will post a link to their website.

Hotel was VERY nice (Frau Schulz in particular!). Think it was around 100Euro per twin room per night, including breakfast.

It was about 20 minutes from the 'ring.

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
Iam off tomorrow for a week of car racing... 3 Days at the Ring and then at Spa on the Wednessday next week.

Really looking forward to this trip!!! Going with a 968 CS so it should be interesting.. I just hope my Camera Battery turns up in time!!

·
Registered
707 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
BURTON said:
Iam off tomorrow for a week of car racing... 3 Days at the Ring and then at Spa on the Wednessday next week.

Really looking forward to this trip!!! Going with a 968 CS so it should be interesting.. I just hope my Camera Battery turns up in time!!
You'll love it mate! Enjoy! :byee55amg

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
Iam sure I will. Just hope I don't knacker the car. But hey these car are tough I am sure.

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
Just got back!!! How quickly does a lap pass you by?!?!?!

·
Registered
707 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
BURTON said:
Just got back!!! How quickly does a lap pass you by?!?!?!

Ooooohhhhh - about 9 minutes.......................!!!!!

I didn't want to time laps, but my old mucker Kurt Ramsden (formerly off this board) insisted...........In fact he did it completely off his own bat - without my knowledge or consent!

To be honest, it's pointless timing, because knowledge of the track is worth MINUTES, not seconds..........Plus you never get a clear lap.

I only managed 3 laps - due to it being Kurt's car - plus ££££!

But what a place! It's REALLY got under my skin - will have to be an annual trip from now on for sure!!!!

Glad you enjoyed it and got back in one piece.

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
Yeah it was awesome. I did a 9min 7sec went round 11 times. Was awesome.. Learning the lines and the gears to be in. Brakes helped alot and slower traffic can be a agro at times.. But had loads of fun...

The downer of the trip was the fact that my friend who came with me in his 968 hit the armco and had to pay 1090 euro!

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
BURTON said:
Yeah it was awesome. I did a 9min 7sec went round 11 times. Was awesome.. Learning the lines and the gears to be in. Brakes helped alot and slower traffic can be a agro at times.. But had loads of fun...

The downer of the trip was the fact that my friend who came with me in his 968 hit the armco and had to pay 1090 euro!
------------

wow thats expensive. What was his best time by the way?

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
Seems from the posts that some of you guys have quite a bit of experience of driving at the ring.

Could someone that has spent some time there provide some insight into what to expect, where to stay, how much it costs, what car preparation is needed, etc. To a newcomer like myself this type of information would be great.

Furthermore is a trip to the ring something that could be arranged as Forum members activity? After driving down as a group, this would enable first timers to take more experienced drivers as passengers (whilst there own cars are resting/cooling down) to get some invaluable tuition of the track. Plus seeing 15 or more M5's going down the Autobahn at the same time would be worth the trip alone. Depending on the number of people interested you could probably get a group discount on the hotels as well.

This must be something that has been thought of before....:wroom:

·
Moderator Emeritus
4,273 Posts
Jon Baker said:
Seems from the posts that some of you guys have quite a bit of experience of driving at the ring.

Could someone that has spent some time there provide some insight into what to expect, where to stay, how much it costs, what car preparation is needed, etc. To a newcomer like myself this type of information would be great.

Furthermore is a trip to the ring something that could be arranged as Forum members activity? After driving down as a group, this would enable first timers to take more experienced drivers as passengers (whilst there own cars are resting/cooling down) to get some invaluable tuition of the track. Plus seeing 15 or more M5's going down the Autobahn at the same time would be worth the trip alone. Depending on the number of people interested you could probably get a group discount on the hotels as well.

This must be something that has been thought of before....:wroom:
Go to Ben Lovejoys Nurburgring web site which is quite detailed & is there for you to read at your leisure. Lots of info on accomodation.
Sometimes I stay nr the Ring, other times I will stay in Koblenz or surrounding area with the family.

There is also the Ringers site which several of us have used or signed up to.

Regards
Farrell

·
Registered
1,073 Posts

This must be something that has been thought of before....:wroom:[/QUOTE]
I haven't been either, but there is a 'M5 spring meet' for owners throughout Europe, I think more info is available at their Yahoo group page, try searching for threads by 'donati' he seems to know a fair bit about it. I think it's too late to catch this years meet though.
I agree that a uk m5 board members trip would be good, but it would be hard for the numbers involved to be able to agree a time that suits everybody. No harm in trying though.

cheers,
Phil.

·
Premium Member
2,941 Posts
Phlem5 said:
I haven't been either, but there is a 'M5 spring meet' for owners throughout Europe, I think more info is available at their Yahoo group page, try searching for threads by 'donati' he seems to know a fair bit about it. I think it's too late to catch this years meet though.
I agree that a uk m5 board members trip would be good, but it would be hard for the numbers involved to be able to agree a time that suits everybody. No harm in trying though.

cheers,
Phil.

Some facts.

In July 2000, I organized the first M5 meeting on the Nordschleife from this board. We started with six cars and expanded to eleven in 2001. From 2002 onwards we organize three meetinge per year:

1: Spring meeting
2: August meeting during the AvD OGP
3: Autumn meeting

These meetings are visited by members of the German forum (www.e34m5.de) and members from the mailing list on yahoogroups. The last meeting was in the WE of 23-24 April, the same WE as the VLN. Unfortunatelly I could only be present on Saturday evening, but between 18.15 and 19.15 the track was open and wet whether conditions feared off many people. In THESE conditions, the Nordschleife is the best to drive. NO motorcylces, NO idiots and mostly a clear track.

The next meeting will be in August during the AvD oldtimer grandprix.

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
Raymond, please post the Autum meet date's on the board once you have them. Love to see the Historic Gp cars as well but I'm recovering (financially) from a 23 day holiday in the USA, spotted a nice e34 in LA, some great road's as well.
Look forward to to finding out the dates,
Cheers,
Phil.
p.s. What's the 'VLN'?

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
Thanks for the advice guys. I will take a look at the websites mentioned. I will also keep my eyes on when the next trip down is being arranged.

Just heard from a friend who has bought an E39 M5, his first M5 experience, he is loving it so far. Unfortunately his is now off of the road for a number of weeks as an unfortunate deer jumped in front of his car. :crying: He too has expressed an interest in being going down to the ring on mass with other M5 owners.

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
I'm thinking of getting my Integra-R trailored to Spa in August and I'll drive over in the M5, in which case it's going on the Ring the weekend right after ... we'll see :wroom:

·
Registered
707 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
This is where we stayed http://www.hotel-lochmuehle.de/ (German text only).

I'd highly recommend it - about 115 euros per night for twin room with breakfast.

It's about 20 minutes from the 'ring - and there's a nice little town (Bad Neuenahr) about 7km further on for evening entertainment.

1 - 20 of 58 Posts