BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey guys, so today I got a muffler delete and am very disappointed with the results. I have not heard the exhaust from the outside, but inside the car it sounds like a Subaru/civic... Anyone else have second thoughts after this mod? Should I get an aftermarket muffler?

Input and opinions welcome!

T

·
0 Posts
kidding...lol

You should have done the OEM exhaust mod that I did to my M5. It is less rice than a complete muffler delete.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
kidding...lol

You should have done the OEM exhaust mod that I did to my M5. It is less rice than a complete muffler delete.
You just removed the stuffing in the mufflers correct? I may end up doing that because I hate the current sound.

T

·
0 Posts
yeah. And I removed the resonators. Sounds crisp and clean.

JCOLLEY heard my M5 in person yesterday and started salivating over the sound and the minimal cost which I think I paid $200 total for it and I retain the OEM exhaust which is great quality.:tonquesmilie:

·
Registered
242 Posts

JCOLLEY heard my M5 in person yesterday and started salivating over the sound and the minimal cost which I think I paid $200 total for it and I retain the OEM exhaust which is great quality.:tonquesmilie:

hmm i deleted my resonators and I loved the outcome, Im interested in doing this as well. I wish you could post up a video, if you have the time.

·
Registered
86 Posts

Troy,
Can you please send pics of the resonator delete, did you replace with a X pipe? i want to improve sound without doing the muffler delete or spending $1500+ want to keep the stock look as much as possible, if i can see what you did i will ask my local muffler guy to replicate. Thanks in advance....oh...and congrats on your new place, wish you lots of success, hope i have enough $$$ to get a stroker from you one day...

·
Registered
411 Posts
Hey guys, so today I got a muffler delete and am very disappointed with the results. I have not heard the exhaust from the outside, but inside the car it sounds like a Subaru/civic... Anyone else have second thoughts after this mod? Should I get an aftermarket muffler?

Input and opinions welcome!
Put original mufflers back on? I know what you mean about the ricey sound you hear. It does sound like that at partial throttle, but when you get on it, man the sound is AWESOME! You aught to go listen to some youtube videos to see what your ultimate goal is as no one here is going to be able to tell YOU what YOU like. Good Luck!

·
Registered
2,198 Posts
man you guys must be hearing something 100% different.

ive been in two different cars with muffler deletes....neither of them sounded 'rice' (i really dislike that term as its 100% derogatory btw). i also did not hear a drone.

but to each his own. id say if the delete didnt work for your own tastes....you may just have to bite the bullet and invest in some new cans to achieve a specific sound/tone...

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
this is one of the few times I've heard someone not like their muffler delete. however, you could invest in a sec 3 and call it a day. at least you went this route first and realized you didn't like it.

dan

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
You should do exhaust cut outs.
I originally planned on straight pipe but now im on the fence for exhaust modifications in general.

Put original mufflers back on? I know what you mean about the ricey sound you hear. It does sound like that at partial throttle, but when you get on it, man the sound is AWESOME! You aught to go listen to some youtube videos to see what your ultimate goal is as no one here is going to be able to tell YOU what YOU like. Good Luck!
I may end up doing what Troy said... Although I am starting to get a bit used to the sound as of today.

man you guys must be hearing something 100% different.

ive been in two different cars with muffler deletes....neither of them sounded 'rice' (i really dislike that term as its 100% derogatory btw). i also did not hear a drone.

but to each his own. id say if the delete didnt work for your own tastes....you may just have to bite the bullet and invest in some new cans to achieve a specific sound/tone...
I am more of the type that likes the throaty, aggressive exhaust note, vs just loud. I feel like the sound makes the car sound "cheap". Hopefully I will have time this week to hear the car from outside.

this is one of the few times I've heard someone not like their muffler delete. however, you could invest in a sec 3 and call it a day. at least you went this route first and realized you didn't like it.

dan
Would it be stupid to replace the resonator with a magnaflow dual in dual out muffler? I like a throaty sounding V10 (think Gallardo or Carrera GT).

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
I'm really happy with just a RPI sec 3, not too quiet and not too loud when driving normally. But at high RPM's the refined supercar sound is awesome. I have heard some of these cars with muffler delete and did not liked myself.

·
Registered
65 Posts
wow i love my muffler delete and no drone at all and i talk on the phone in my car through the bluetooth. under low throttle its even "throaty" and at WOT "LAWD JESUS"

Reactions: FastHackem

·
Registered
301 Posts
Remove secondary cats and resonator and you'll be golden!

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I'm really happy with just a RPI sec 3, not too quiet and not too loud when driving normally. But at high RPM's the refined supercar sound is awesome. I have heard some of these cars with muffler delete and did not liked myself.
I would have bought a section 3 but I could not justify spending over 1K for a third of an exhaust.

wow i love my muffler delete and no drone at all and i talk on the phone in my car through the bluetooth. under low throttle its even "throaty" and at WOT "LAWD JESUS"
I also have no drone and love the sound at WOT but its the low speed cruising that I hate.

Remove secondary cats and resonator and you'll be golden!
I will be going back to the shop to test out a bunch of different mufflers and resonators. Im thinking of replacing the stock resonator with a muffler.

·
Registered
740 Posts
I have my muffler deleted and I love the sound. I made the mistake of going a little over board and taking the resonator off, bad move on my part. The sound was a little too crazy for me, but after putting the resonator back on I'm super happy with the sound. To each his own though, like everyone is saying you may need to just opt for a section 3 exhaust if you're looking for sound but not too much sound.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts