BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just finished my Sirius install in 2003 M5 (12/02 production).

I had my radio replaced this week for the mono/stereo issue. Part number 65 12 6 972 665. This is THE most recent radio.

I got the Sirius radio, antenna, installation kit, and adapter cable per the part numbers on bimmernav.

What I didn't have to do was upgrade my DVD NAV. I have an MKIV, but firmware version 1.0.

Wired it all up (30 mins) except for the antenna which is still flopping around loose. (Will do that on weekend.)

Didn't work. All set to come online and order replacement NAV. Then I remembered to set the radio to US mode. Then BAM. IT worked.

Sounds much better than I was expecting. Got 2 months free service from BMW.

Just have to deal with the antenna mounting this weekend. Do I have to rip out the seats per those detailed instructions, or are there better instructions now?

·
Registered
12,398 Posts
Nice. Good to hear that the 1.0 firmware is also functional...

I did the same thing with the US mode- emailed martin at bimmernav in a panic and he calmy told me what I missed.

I had rear sunshades, but perhaps you can sneak the cables down the deck without removing the seats.

A

PS Did the dealer hassle you about the FM Stereo issue??

·
10,458 Posts
if you want to mount the antenna on the rear parcel shelf, you don't have to mess with the seats. Just remove the center child seat teather, you can feed the wire thru that hole (might need to temporarily lower the speakers, if you don't have M audio, the nokia box may be in the way). I tried this, but my reception was always dropping out, so i did the roof mount option. still didn't need to remove the seats though.

If you want to mount it under the parcel shelf, you need to remove the seat.
Mike

·
Registered
85 Posts
If you want to mount your Sirius antenna under the parcel shelf there is a way to avoid taking out the seats. You can remove the driver side C-Pillar cover and the cover for the driver side "vent" on the the parcel shelf. You then can fish a "leader" line into the passenger compartment from the trunk and pull that into the space under the vent. That is where your GPS antenna is now. Use the "leader" line to pull the antenna connections back into the trunk space. Depending on where you place the antenna, you may want to secure it with some zip strips.

Cheers!
Dave
:cheers:

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ard said:
PS Did the dealer hassle you about the FM Stereo issue??

The dealer didn't hassle me. I had a copy of the TSB (the original one, not the most recent one from a few weeks ago), and a copy of an email to BMWNA that I sent the 2 years ago complaining about radio problem. They had said that wanted to listen to it and I said, "Fine, come ride in my car with me for the next week or two and maybe you'll hear it. Maybe not. It's sporadic." So they did the upgrade, even finding a newer radio (manufactured in June).

As soon as it was installed, I went to the parts guy and ordered the 4 parts via part number. He didn't question anything about it. I even got him to agree to take the parts back if I couldn't get it to work.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
mottati said:
if you want to mount the antenna on the rear parcel shelf, you don't have to mess with the seats. Just remove the center child seat teather, you can feed the wire thru that hole (might need to temporarily lower the speakers, if you don't have M audio, the nokia box may be in the way). I tried this, but my reception was always dropping out, so i did the roof mount option. still didn't need to remove the seats though.
Where on the roof is it? On the back by with window? I already have a small antenna there for the cell phone (CPT8000) that I no longer use.

How did you thread the wire from the roof to the trunk?

·
Registered
52 Posts
BlackM5 said:
I got the Sirius radio, antenna, installation kit, and adapter cable per the part numbers on bimmernav.
Would you mind posting the exact part numbers and price charged for the parts that came home with you. I have a 2003 with a production date of 11/02, and want to attempt this upgrade as well. I asked my service department and was told Sirius would not work in my car. They also told me the parts alone would run $650. I don't think they are correct in either of their statements.

Thanks,
WEB

·
Registered
12,398 Posts
WEB150 said:
Would you mind posting the exact part numbers and price charged for the parts that came home with you. I have a 2003 with a production date of 11/02, and want to attempt this upgrade as well. I asked my service department and was told Sirius would not work in my car. They also told me the parts alone would run $650. I don't think they are correct in either of their statements.

Thanks,
WEB
Check out:
http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=49715&highlight=ard

Also, member IAMDEREK just installed sirius in his 2003 with a newer Sirius module- I don't know the part number- I'd hoped he would post it.
http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=56901

Good luck

Oh, do NOT go to the dealer- once they know you are trying to do this, they may not honor the TSB for the new radio... read up on the whole install here first

A

·
Registered
480 Posts
A question for you guys who did the Sirius update:

Another board member here reported that after he did the upgrade, his regular radio sounded weak and tinny. Did any of you experience this as well? Any problems with operation and use of the CD player? I am very interested in doing this, but am concerned with possible side effects.

Thanks.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
WEB150 said:

Thanks,
WEB
I don't have the new Sirius part number in front of me. I asked for following parts, and I got what I asked for except a new model receiver.

1. Sirius Receiver: 84.11.0.153.365
2. Install Kit: 84-11-0-141-975
3. Antenna 3 84-11-0-392-099
4. Sirius CD Extension Cable 84-11-0-150-526

The reciever was ~$285. The install kit and extension cable were around $40 each. The antenna was around $80, I think. All told my bill for parts was in the low $400 range.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
ard said:
Check out:
http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=49715&highlight=ard

Also, member IAMDEREK just installed sirius in his 2003 with a newer Sirius module- I don't know the part number- I'd hoped he would post it.
http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=56901

Good luck

Oh, do NOT go to the dealer- once they know you are trying to do this, they may not honor the TSB for the new radio... read up on the whole install here first

A

Also note that the NEW TSB that came out a few weeks ago for this issue says the problem must be verified by dealer before swapping out the radio. Be forewarned.

·
Registered
52 Posts
BlackM5 said:
Also note that the NEW TSB that came out a few weeks ago for this issue says the problem must be verified by dealer before swapping out the radio. Be forewarned.
The service dept in Athens ran a diagnostic, verified the problem, and ordered the new radio for me (part # 65-12-6-972-665). They ordered the new raidio per SIB 65-05-05

They also ordered new door seals to correct creaking noise, per SIB 51-26-05

·
Registered
12,398 Posts
BlackM5 said:
r except a new model receiver.

1. Sirius Receiver: 84.11.0.153.365

I got a free year service when activating this module. just acted like I was a bmw tech activating it for a customer. ("Uh, let me see- yes, his name is _____, and we should have his address... yes, here it is.")

Might have been a promo that expired last year- this was in Dec..

:)

A

·
10,458 Posts
BlackM5 said:
Where on the roof is it? On the back by with window? I already have a small antenna there for the cell phone (CPT8000) that I no longer use.

How did you thread the wire from the roof to the trunk?
it's back by the window. If you do it "properly" the 'tail' of the sirius antenna is just at the glass, and the antenna is about 6-8" toward the center. The looked ugly so i removed the 'tail' and put the antenna at the very edge of the roof, just before the phone antenna. I think i had posted the bmw pdf with the instructions about the antenna mount, if not it's on martins bimmernav.com site.
Mike

·
Registered
252 Posts
Wilkie said:

Another board member here reported that after he did the upgrade, his regular radio sounded weak and tinny. Did any of you experience this as well? Any problems with operation and use of the CD player? I am very interested in doing this, but am concerned with possible side effects.

Thanks.
I had this happen on a 540 that we upgraded. The CD sound was tinny but I cant remember if the regular radio was OK or not. In our case, the CD changer was the older model that does not work with the sirius receiver. Verify this by changing the cables around to bypass the cd-changer and it will hopefully sound OK. Sorry I dont have part numbers handy but the older changer has a red sticker and the newer ones have a white sticker and different part numbers.

·
Registered
12,398 Posts
Wilkie said:

Thanks.
I've heard this mentioned (here) a time or two... Certainly the odd issue.

Keep in mind that the Sirius receiver is placed 'inline' in front of the CD player- my understanding is that the various modules 'hang' on a bus, and the Nav unit which is the brains, sends commands to each module to 'tell' them to 'send their signal'. When you install the sirius, you actuall connect it to the existing harness using the connector that used to go to the CD. Then you add a jumper from the sirus to the cd. In this case the CD signal MUST travel through the siruis. I suppose their may be a poor connection, or internally an issue with a termination/driver within the sirius receiver.

·
10,458 Posts
ard said:
I've heard this mentioned (here) a time or two... Certainly the odd issue.

Keep in mind that the Sirius receiver is placed 'inline' in front of the CD player- my understanding is that the various modules 'hang' on a bus, and the Nav unit which is the brains, sends commands to each module to 'tell' them to 'send their signal'. When you install the sirius, you actuall connect it to the existing harness using the connector that used to go to the CD. Then you add a jumper from the sirus to the cd. In this case the CD signal MUST travel through the siruis. I suppose their may be a poor connection, or internally an issue with a termination/driver within the sirius receiver.
i guess this is why some of us have a cd player that keeps running while in sirius mode. (not playing music, just physically powered up and spinning the cds).
mike

·
Registered
168 Posts
Wilkie said:

Thanks.
Installed Sirius in my '03 last February. Absolutely no problems with anything, even the dealer. Got a discount on the labor as I was their guinea pig and the committed to taking the parts back if it didn't work. Good luck.

·
Registered
12,398 Posts
mottati said:
i guess this is why some of us have a cd player that keeps running while in sirius mode. (not playing music, just physically powered up and spinning the cds).
mike
Did we ever determine that the newer Nav units (firmware/software 4.0) actually stops the CD?

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
ard said:
Did we ever determine that the newer Nav units (firmware/software 4.0) actually stops the CD?

My NAV, which is a MKiv with v1.0 firmware stops the CD. I tested it several times. When I switch back to CD, it's in the same place as it was before.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts