BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I was just driving along in my beast and coming up to a red light everything in the car reset about 3 times, DSC came on, battery light, CEL, etc.

Happened about 3 times real fast, though the car stayed running. Continued driving and it didn't happen again, restarted the car a few times to see if it would come up again but it never did?

Any one ever have this happen to you? I was thinking a alternator voltage issue but the alternator is brand new as well as belts and tensioner's?

Any direction is appreciated!

·
Registered
100 Posts
If the battery light came on, it could be related to the alternator or voltage regulator going out or starting to. Maybe that affected the other systems with low voltage causing the errors. I would check for stored codes, they may help.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Alternator and battery are all good! Happened again today for the first time, any other ideas?

Got an idea but waiting to see if it fails to replace it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
By "all good" battery do you mean above threshold cold voltage and/or cables tightly connected?
Cold voltage looked perfect, alternator charging rate is fine as well! Cables are all tight. Had it happen again on the expressway last night but not again since.

·
Registered
732 Posts
Check all the ground wires on the engine, does it happen on accel, turning, braking, bumps? Seems like a loose wire somewhere.

·
Registered
404 Posts
I would first check the battery cable. There was a recent post on one member's cable comming loose. You also said that the alternator is new... I would check that it was installed properly and ground wires are all conneced properly

·
Registered
2,549 Posts
I agree with above post about the altenator. How long ago was the altenator replaced? Within the last month or so? If so I would check all areas that are affected by altenator replacement. Like he said, it may be a loose connection either directly related to the installation or affected by it.

·
Registered
241 Posts
also check the postive cable connections that are under the hood, not just in the trunk with the battery

I agree with the others, definitely sounds like issue with batt/alt/cables

good luck

1 - 10 of 10 Posts