BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 81 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello everybody, i just purchased my first M5 its a 2000 black on black with OE M6 wheels. I have owned a 2003 M3 SMG for ever and i decided to try out this M5. There is a problem though, and yes i searched all over but i got nothing all i get is car wont turn on because of dead battery or car cranks but does not turn on, i dont even know what to type for this problem.

Problem: The car will not start when i turn the key all the way normally.

Problem Details: I get in the car, press the clutch, put the key in ignition, then turn the key all the way to crank position....... nothing happens. its just like if i put the key in position 1.

Weird way to turn on: The only way the car turns on is if i turn the key all the way with extreme force and both hands while pushing the key forward...then it turns on.

My first thought is the ignition switch, but the guy i bought it from said its the key thats low in battery, but the keyless doesnt even work from the key, the key is missing the unlock button also. Its very difficult with this car because everytime i go somewhere it takes me like 10-15 minutes to turn the car on.... If anybody can please help me if you know of a similar problem that you have experienced or if you know what this solution is please share it with me. I have always wanted an M5 but now im like " bummer" :confused: Any and all help is greately appreciated.

·
Registered
616 Posts
Why don't you just drive it to a BMW dealer and have them check it out? I'm sure should be able to tell you something about it. The $120 diagnosis is worth it.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Eventually thats what i wanna do, but i want to see if anybody else has experienced this first, also because of the holidays i dont know if they close early or what not and i get off work at 5 every day.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes, my right hand i hold on to the key like normal, my left hand wrapped around my right hand and i have to turn it with extreme force while pushing the key forward (towards front end of car) ...

·
Registered
252 Posts
My BMW dealer was open today. And they are open tomorrow.

·
Registered
991 Posts
Im sorry, but this seems like such a silly thread. Buttons missing from your key? Battery low? Dude, get a new key! How do you think the buttons removed themselves in the first place? Probably didn't just "fall" out. So I'm guessing the key is on the fritz from being dropped, ran over, eaten by shark, whatever. If not, you should get a new key anyways. You have an M5 now, not a hyundai. M5 key missing buttons is weaksauce.

And while you're at the dealer, if the new key doesnt solve the problem, be like, "hey.. this key you gave me doesn't work.." And they'll probably check it out for you for free.

·
Registered
1,782 Posts
Why would you buy the car if it had a known problem like that? Id get the previous owner to fix it, or either get X amount of dollars taken off the purchase price for however much it costs to fix. Take it to the dealer, and get another key fob.

Actually i Re-read your post. Id definately be leaning towards ignition switch.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Im sorry, but this seems like such a silly thread. Buttons missing from your key? Battery low? Dude, get a new key! How do you think the buttons removed themselves in the first place? Probably didn't just "fall" out. So I'm guessing the key is on the fritz from being dropped, ran over, eaten by shark, whatever. If not, you should get a new key anyways. You have an M5 now, not a hyundai. M5 key missing buttons is weaksauce.

And while you're at the dealer, if the new key doesnt solve the problem, be like, "hey.. this key you gave me doesn't work.." And they'll probably check it out for you for free.

I think having at least 2 keys is SOP, got to have a spare. If you miss the dealer before the holidays then take it to a hill, put the key in position 2 then coast down the hill and pop the clutch - does the car start then?

·
Registered
338 Posts
What did the mechanic that performed the pre-purchase inspection have to say about it?

You DID do a PPI before buying this car, right?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well first of all i dont drive a hundai... like i said i have had a 2003 M3 SMG since 2003 so i know how these cars are and maintenance, but i decided to buy this M5 because i always wanted one, i just got it today because it was a killer deal... 2000 BMW M5 87,000 miles clear title for $8,000 cash..... who would pass on that even if it has a messed up ignition switch or key with missing buttons??? Not Me! The guy is in foreclosure and was about to be kicked out his house for christmas so i bought the car. This might not be the most "awesome" thread but i think its good because i have never in my life heard of this specific problem in any car.... So if anybody else has this issue they know we have a solution here at m5board ....assuming i find the solution. What does the roll my car down hill and pop the clutch mean? If it turns on then? If it does not turn on then?

Thanks all for your input

·
Registered
91 Posts
... 2000 BMW M5 87,000 miles clear title for $8,000 cash..... who would pass on that even if it has a messed up ignition switch or key with missing buttons??? What does the roll my car down hill and pop the clutch mean? If it turns on then? If it does not turn on then?
Absolutely a great deal. If car starts when popping the clutch then I would say the problem is NOT the key. If it does not start then you can probably narrow it (or confirm) to the key or switch.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Check the clutch switch, the switch which engages when you put in the clutch. Mine was broken and I had to push the pedal in super hard to engage it. When you say you have to do all these shanegans to get the car to start, something tells me your left foot is getting tenser and tenser and making the clutch switch work.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Thanks for you guys's input and comments. The key is pretty much destroyed, here are a few pictures... but i didnt know it could stop the car from starting, what can cause this? No battery charge? Also the clutch switch thing makes sense too... im going outside now to check that. O here are a few pictures of the key yuck!!! :/

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
New key will be between $120-$180? depending on the dealer. The dealer can get them usually in 1-2 days depending on what time the key order gets placed.

Looks like this key was cut open by a rookie to replace the battery. Note the battery ONLY supplies power for the keyless entry.

Tell the dealer you want 2 keys and see if they cut you a deal.

1 - 20 of 81 Posts