BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

21 - 40 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
909 Posts
It’s a fun drift machine though. I’m on private property and no salt. I look forward to the snow but proper snow tires like what Pmalik had would be important because massive understeer upfront. I got stuck in 4” of fresh snow on a 2% incline with newish A/S 3s last dec.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Nice thread and congrats on the deal.

M cars are really not any harder to work on as compared to other BMWs or Porsches but an E60 M5 with SMG gives you several more challenge areas. Especially the V10 motor and its certain items that need preventative maintenance such as rod bearings, vanos pump and hoses, coils/injectors/throttle actuators and ionic modules. Then you have all the usual complexity of modules with E60 platform and specific challenges with higher mileage with SMG unit.

I have spent months going through mine and these cars are awesome when properly sorted. Look forward to seeing more posts on your progress with the M5.

·
Registered
909 Posts
OP, you will need to do diagnostics and probably will want to some coding. All of the BMW software is available for free. You need to get a special cable, the one that is very solid and properly updated is available from Bimmergeeks. You will also note that there is a handy link for downloads. You will find what you need to install on your laptop there and the just wait for the cable to arrive.

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Not a winter car:

1. 176 degree Thermostat overcools engine to the point fuel dilutes oil.
My water temperature on a 10 degree day was 160 F leading to poor gas mileage and sludge formation and overtaxed PCV system

2. 19” V-rated winter tires in cold weather telegraph every frost heave destroying bmw ride and suspension bushings

3. salt causes galvanic corrosion between mix of aluminum and steel parts.
Try changing suspension parts on a winter driven car, let alone getting wheel bolts off

4. Anyone that can afford upkeep of an m5 can afford something more appropriate and satisfying to drive in the winter
We've had two M5s as year around daily drivers; low point was around -10F. The car never had a problem getting up to temp. Low temp operation is part of the dev validation process, gmtegear can tell you all about it. I did/do run 0w40 synthetic in both cars year around for cold starts.

Oem winter set up is 245/45 18s and thus far I haven't come across any dissimilar metals on the car (90s land rovers were terrible about that). About the only issue you'll hit is the cage nuts for the stiffener plate, but you're supposed to replace them out every time. As a matter of fact, putting monoballs on was a 2 hours thing.

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
Since I will have two m5 on the road soon, I will try the 192 degree thermostat on one of them and see if I am comfortable with the results

I have two set of 18” winter tires 255 Blizzaks and 245 Pirelli v-rated

·
Registered
61 Posts
Since I will have two m5 on the road soon, I will try the 192 degree thermostat on one of them and see if I am comfortable with the results

I was looking at this but too paranoid to try it. Let us know what you find to be the results.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
909 Posts
Dude you seem to have multiple sets of tires for everything. Do you have your own mounting machine and balancer? I do, but you got a serious tire collection, no?

·
Registered
909 Posts
We've had two M5s as year around daily drivers; low point was around -10F. The car never had a problem getting up to temp.
M5 can be a fun winter car. P400 mode is great for that. You really need to focus on car control though. It’s fun to flick around corners and dance on the pedals. It’s too hard to find studded tires where I am and it doesn’t snow enough.

the calibration for any production vehicle sold in the US has to deal with zero/subzero operation. It’s kinda part of the whole EPA cert process.

aftermarket tunes and cold start deletes can alter how the car runs significantly and lead to damage, but that’s on the guy that is seeking the tune.

my 08 6MT was driven year round in Boston by unknown PO. I tried to get service records from BMW but they only would tell me that PO brought the car in regularly for snow tires....
It was a 6MT that I bought 2.5 years ago for under 20k so I think it was a good deal.

This car’s body has done remarkably well. Road salt is not exactly friendly to aluminum, it makes the oxidation a bit worse. It’s salty winter road days are over. I’ve replaced most of the fasteners that have surface corrosion because I’m OCD like that.

For my scrap title 6MT, I thought about doing some winter rally with it but turns out it has to registered since these rallys are on public roads. No one makes extra high ride height coilovers either, so I’d have to do some custom engineering, which I really don’t have time for. It would be nice if there was a larger E60 community these are pretty damn good chassis, just a tad too heavy though.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
I was gonna say don’t pay Gretchen a damn dime in reg fees!!! Just title it.
I’m not registering it until spring. You should see it up in Michigan right now 20% of cars are riding around without plates. DMV is so backed up you have to make an appointment and it’s about 3 months out. Not to mention they’ve waived getting a ticket for expired tabs so no one has renewed tabs since March. People are just required to drive around with the title in the car if they can’t get a plate! What a joke.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Not a winter car:

1. 176 degree Thermostat overcools engine to the point fuel dilutes oil.
My water temperature on a 10 degree day was 160 F leading to poor gas mileage and sludge formation and overtaxed PCV system

2. 19” V-rated winter tires in cold weather telegraph every frost heave destroying bmw ride and suspension bushings

3. salt causes galvanic corrosion between mix of aluminum and steel parts.
Try changing suspension parts on a winter driven car, let alone getting wheel bolts off

4. Anyone that can afford upkeep of an m5 can afford something more appropriate and satisfying to drive in the winter
There is no way I’d ride around in the pothole infested and pure salt and sand mixture Michigan winter in this car. I have 4 other vehicles much better equipped for driving around in winter but a $300 beater Subaru is the main car for that time of year. I couldn’t drive anything nicer I’d feel to bad messing it up.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
@yinblake, as the saying goes: Pics or it didn't happen :D
Pictures are coming stay tuned. Anyone looking for some ugly 20 inch Lexiani wheels😂 I actually prefer the OEM wheel such a shame I’m willing to pry out more money to go back to stock setup for wheels and tires..

·
Registered
909 Posts
I’m not registering it until spring. You should see it up in Michigan right now 20% of cars are riding around without plates. DMV is so backed up you have to make an appointment and it’s about 3 months out. Not to mention they’ve waived getting a ticket for expired tabs so no one has renewed tabs since March. People are just required to drive around with the title in the car if they can’t get a plate! What a joke.
One of my cars is reg in MI. I can’t help it that they don’t have SoS open... I renewed online only because I have it out of state. She’s on a real power trip still I hear. Is operating a motor boat still illegal???

I seem to remember that the reg fee in MI is based on original MSRP vehicle class.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
One of my cars is reg in MI. I can’t help it that they don’t have SoS open... I renewed online only because I have it out of state. She’s on a real power trip still I hear. Is operating a motor boat still illegal???

I seem to remember that the reg fee in MI is based on original MSRP vehicle class.
Registration is going to run me at least $700 a year because they base it off original sale price. Don't even get me started on insurance.. we just got forced unlimited medical coverage lifted.. this cars insurance would be over $700 a month for me if I couldn't drop it down... lucky with my other cars I've been able to get all 5 cars to a reasonable $450 a month now.

Anyyyyway, does anyone have a useable link to diagnostic software? Just not sure what version.. the cable is on the way. I run windows 10 on a 1 year old HP labtop for reference.

·
Registered
909 Posts
Anyyyyway, does anyone have a useable link to diagnostic software? Just not sure what version.. the cable is on the way. I run windows 10 on a 1 year old HP labtop for reference.
See post 23. It has all the repair procedures too. This car is easy to work on esp if you are journeyman.

·
Registered
909 Posts
Regarding insurance go with the highest deductibles or no collision coverage. If this thing does get hit, part it out and keep the engine, trans,etc. There will be many more cheap M5s that have engine issues. You can probably get a rolling chassis with clean title from Troy, he’s not too far away from you since you seem to be on the west side.

·
Registered
2009 BMW E63 M6, Sapphire Black
378 Posts
Go to bimmergeeks in the download area. What you seek is there...

Hopefully you all get rid of Klingon Barbie up dere in Michigan...
ROFL, thats a great one. We just call her the forehead. Gonna have to start using that one!

21 - 40 of 40 Posts