BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

241 - 260 of 278 Posts

·
Registered
419 Posts
Hey guys - I'm doing plugs and injectors on my 2009 right now. the coils are "era Power Train" - at least on the rubber boot at the top. the only other marking is BMW. also on top rubber seal.
Yep that’s right. At some point bmw changed their s85 coil supplier from bremi to pulse power train. It’s possible they may have done so as far back as 2009 or your car may have had a set of replacement coils put in at some point.

·
Registered
2009 BMW E63 M6, Sapphire Black
515 Posts
Yep that’s right. At some point bmw changed their s85 coil supplier from bremi to pulse power train. It’s possible they may have done so as far back as 2009 or your car may have had a set of replacement coils put in at some point.
pretty unlikely, bought it wil 36500 miles on it. its a Dec 2008 build.

·
Registered
419 Posts
They are most likely the originals then. If they are they probably have a year of manufacture on them somewhere.

·
Registered
515 Posts
They are most likely the originals then. If they are they probably have a year of manufacture on them somewhere.
I'll try to look for the record. Just thought I'd chime in because there was some discussion on having hard time finding coils earlier in this post. don't recall these being mentioned.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #245
Alright guys.
I cannot thank you all enough. More help than any owner could ask for. I really feel like I know my car so much better now too. So thank you all for that.
I got the car running great. Did more than a few pulls and put over 100 miles on the car with no issues today with the family in the car. Talk about risking it all😂

For anyone wondering what it was .. @gmtegear was correct. I did all my research and reflashed the dme to stock form and it ran great. I performed an oil change before driving it seriously. Came home and changed out all the spark plugs.. and not a single issue since. No high or irregular idle. All levels are good. No leaks. Brakes stop great. No wobbles, squeaks or any bad noises. The engine is nice and quiet and smooth from start to stop.

Man does she drink gas guys lol.
Thank you all

·
Registered
158 Posts
That's great to hear!

Did more than a few pulls and put over 100 miles on the car with no issues today with the family in the car. Talk about risking it all😂
I don't mean to be be Captain Buzzkill, but there is a thread on this board where a member was joy riding with his family/friends and it didn't end well.

·
Registered
468 Posts
Congrats, you've been on quite the journey to rehab a car that I think most of us would have written off. Now that it's running I hope it makes you as happy as mine makes me when I'm behind the wheel.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #249
That's great to hear!

I don't mean to be be Captain Buzzkill, but there is a thread on this board where a member was joy riding with his family/friends and it didn't end well.
Should have worded it better lol. My wife would kill me if I laid into it with the kids in the car. I did the pulls on my own accord and then today we took the car as a family nice and smooth. This car sucks in traffic guys lol

·
Banned
1,396 Posts
For anyone wondering what it was .. @gmtegear was correct. I did all my research and reflashed the dme to stock form and it ran great.
It would be nice to know who the tuner was because there’s a lot of fools out there that say they are tuners and really eff up ppls cars. This seems pretty clear it was a request by the owner to do a burble and pop tune. Maybe it was the same dude who couldn’t fish out the fuel pump lines? Anyways glad to see another one find a new and safe home.

·
Registered
515 Posts
Congrats! Great looking ride. Back on those coils, I don't see a date, all I see is BMW 7 835 108 12115 Germany. Man those sure look identical to the Bremi photos I see on the internet.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Car looks awesome!

This thread should be stickied as a "how to" get through new ownership of a neglected E60 M5. Expect the worst and then just plow through all the items that are probably broken, improperly installed or neglected.

Just a great story of perseverence. Congrats OP

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #256
Congrats! Great looking ride. Back on those coils, I don't see a date, all I see is BMW 7 835 108 12115 Germany. Man those sure look identical to the Bremi photos I see on the internet.
These are the same coils I am running currently. My only question is if I go BMW Part is it the same number and coil as if I go with the Bremi. I will not shy away from spending more. But I will shy away from spending money stupidly if I can get the same part else where cheaper..

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #257
Congrats on a great ending, the guys on the forum are saviors!
Truly how I feel. Without the help of fellow board members this car would have for sure rotted away or been used as a donor vehicle when it has tons of life left in it!

·
Registered
515 Posts
These are the same coils I am running currently. My only question is if I go BMW Part is it the same number and coil as if I go with the Bremi. I will not shy away from spending more. But I will shy away from spending money stupidly if I can get the same part else where cheaper..
ya, totally understand that! I was looking for a definitive answer on this, as I broke one of my connector secure clips when changing plugs. was able to epoxy it back together so no longer looking, but it would be good to know what is what out there. all i really found is one person bought bremi seemed cheap, didn't cure misfire problem,, returned them got bmw and if I recall, they were also bremi, but better quality and actually worked.

FCP Euro says something about the Delphis, forget it it is OE, or OEM. might want to take a look

·
Registered
419 Posts
i recently (few months ago) bought a set of ‘bmw’ ignition coils from ecs. They aren’t made by bremi now. They were branded ‘pulse powertrain’.

Before buying the bmw ones I bought a set of bremi and they were visually lower quality than the 10+ year old original coils I removed (which were bremi, with year code and bmw part number). One obvious sign were how weak and flimsy the clips were. On my originals I used the clips to pull most of the coils out. With the new set there’s no way that would be possible. The clips would pop off the coil with hardly any force. The rubber parts were less ductile and just looked cheap too.

Maybe find a seller with a solid return policy and a history of good service. Order a set of bremi’s and visually inspect them. If they are like the set I got, return them and buy bmw ones. If they look good I would go ahead and install them.

I bought from ecs (mainly for convenience as they aren’t the outright cheapest) and they accepted return of the bremi’s even though I was technically outside of their returns policy. It’s likely fcp or rockauto would provide similar service too.

·
Registered
571 Posts
Anyone run Delphi's? They did a lot of the original ion-feedback work so I wouldn't think they are 2nd class or anything.

241 - 260 of 278 Posts