BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I found a decent car at a decent price with pretty low miles on eBay and took the plunge. She's a 2002 Carbon Black/Black combo with the sport interior. For $27k with 40k miles I thought I couldn't go wrong. I mean, its either get a new Legacy GT or a 5 year old supercar. Not too hard a choice for me. I'm psyched. My wife thinks I'm nuts. My daughter is begging me not to get rid of the Corolla. LOL.

Anyhow, I gotta get this thing up here to Seattle from Miami.
Does anyone have some positive experiences shipping a car that they could share with me?

Thanks,
Sebastian

·
Registered
1,831 Posts
Cool.I was looking at that earlier today. Congrats. Good price as well.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Congrats on the purchase! I have used Trusty Transport before and was happy with the service, and they are one of the more reasonable companies out there. Website is www.trustytransport.com

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the tips. I should be getting like 5 million quotes tomorrow.

·
Registered
2,001 Posts
I used a service when I bought my E30 M3, that brought it on your standard open car carrier... If I did it again, I'd pay a bit more and get it brought in an enclosed rig, with fewer cars..

When my M3 arrived the VW "Thing" above the M3 had leaked a bunch of oil on the roof.. anyway I'd feel safer in general if it was enclosed.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
When I bought my 850 and had it shipped from Texas up here I used an open transport. The car looked like it went through hell and back when it got here. Just covered in dirt and grime. I was/still am just amazed it could get that dirty on the trip up.

·
Registered
3,180 Posts
You paid 27k for an 02 with 40k on the odo???....Congrats..that is a VERY VERY good deal.
BTW pay the extra and go enclosed..it is worth every penny.
S

·
Registered
107 Posts
closed

congrats!! very very good deal and an excellent color! like everyone said pay the extra and go with enclosed.

jesh

·
Registered
151 Posts

·
Registered
567 Posts
Wow! I was watching that car too. Looks like a heck of a deal. A certain sign that the M5 market is a buyer's market all the way!!!

I bought an X5 in Missouri last year and had it shipped to Tacoma on an open transport, where it was loaded on the ship for Anchorage. The terminal workers in Anchorage told me the car was absolutely filthy and covered in road grime (they had washed it for me). It was January, so it obviously went thru some snow storms and salted highways on its way to Tacoma.
Seeing how its still winter time, I would pay the extra $$ and go enclosed.
Would be a shame to get any road salt on your new M!!

·
Registered
278 Posts
I have used a few carriers to transport from East to West and I would definitely recommend Horseless Carriage. They are expensive but worth every penny. Intercity is a good option as well. They are probably about the same in price. Expect around +/- $2,000.00. Stay away from DAS. Congrats!

·
Registered
728 Posts
Congrats...that is an amazing deal you got on the car.

·
Registered
2,878 Posts
...he's too busy to fly down and drive her back - (I'm off next week -no plans) so, OK, fly me over... I'll check her out for you on the drive up to Seattle... :)

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
MarkQC: I like the way you're thinking.

Crusty: I'd love to do that. But I'm sort of a regular guy with a wife and kids and job. I just can't take the 5-6 days off to play like that. Plus, and I hate to think this way but, what if there is a mechanical problem? I'll be in the middle of nowhere, with no support on someone elses timeframe. Right out of college I drove a friend of mine who got a job with Nestle to Colorado where she would be living for the next few years in my Fiat 124 Spyder. (Good time to pause for a chuckle.) Anyhow, I brought tools, and I really checked it out before we went. It was the kind of thing you can only do while you're young. I had this car setup for autoX, Koni Yellows, rollbar so you couldn't recline the seats, etc. Well 96 miles from Missoula, MT, the car stops working. This is on a Friday. We wait 9 hours for our AAA tow. They take us to Missoula where there are no hotels open that night. We spend the night in a gravel parking lot sleeping sitting up. Obviously there are no parts (points for the ignition) in town to fix this, so I have my dad overnight them from Seattle, but this is on Saturday, so we had a nice 3 day unscheduled stay in Montana. If was fun, but a better experience with no responsibility at 21 than at 30.

·
Registered
148 Posts
I used Demoise Trucking to get my car from california to nyc. They seemed super reasonable to me (about 1500, enclosed). I dont have thier number handy but I do highly recommend them.- Dave

·
Registered
295 Posts
Flyin-M5,

Let us know how you make out.
I bought my Imola Red 02 M5 last Saturday and drove it the seven hours back to NH.
I had considered a "Left Coast" car, bought the thought of buying it sight unseen and shipping it home accordingly caused me to stick with a 500 mile radius in my search.

Good luck!

Al. Wise

1 - 20 of 68 Posts