BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As many M5 owners in the US know, our cars include the M5 driving experience at the BMW performance center in South Carolina. If you are in the US and haven't been contacted, call your dealer so they can send a form to the center, then call the center if you are not contacted within two weeks. The program is two days.

One day is spent at the perfromance center. If you have never been to a driving school, then you could learn quite a bit. If you are more experienced, then you will have fun and learn the performance limits (well, not quite) of your M5. There are exercises in emregency lane changes, braking into a corner, wet skidpad, slalom, and more. Unfortunately, most of the exercises are done with DSC engaged. This is great, but you won't learn the limits of the car. And keep in mind that this is a handling clinic, don't expect to learn racing skills or aggresive driving instruction. You can choose from about 10 M5 cars, different colors and interiors. At the end of the day, they have a timed autocross (slalom, U-turn, and slalom back)... which kindles the competitive spirits in everyone.

The other day is spent on a factory and museum tour (thankfully short), and then a caravan in M Coupes and M Roadsters to the Biltmore Estate. A few of us broke away from the caravan, and I can officially say that an M Coupe is the best car I have ever driven up to 90 mph through very tight curves (like at the Biltmore Estate, for instance... posted at 30 mph).

All in all, better than I expected. They include the hotel, lunches, and dinners as well. Oh... No alcohol sales in this part of South Carolina on Sunday (may I suggest that $20 and a corner table goes a long way towards helping this at the hotel restaurant).

Any questions, let me know.

Dan

·
Registered
17 Posts
For US M5 owners I know there is the option of having your car delivered at the performance center. Is it possible to get your two class scheduled at the same time so it's possible to drive your new M5 home from the class and get those break-in miles out of the way :)

·
Registered
49 Posts
Yes you can have your new car delivered to Spartanburg. I had similar plans, but later found out that the class was booked until about six weeks after my car was to arrive.

Needless to say, I took delivery of my new baby a week and half ago and will take a roundtrip flight to SC in early May.

Check with your dealership to get a contact at the performance center (or e-mail me and I'll forward you the contact). Find out if there is room for a class corresponding with your delivery date first. Make sure you get these details CLEARLY worked out beforehand...When I found out about the class being booked, I changed plans immediately. Unfortunately, I had to wait an extra week for my car since the dealership was not successful in intercepting my car at Port Newark before shipping it to SC.

One more thing, there was an additional charge of about $70-80 for temporary SC registration...such is life.

Good luck and congrats!

What an AMAZING car it is!

-Sam ([email protected])
'00 M5 Silverstone, Black Exclusive

1 - 4 of 4 Posts