BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 164 Posts

·
Registered
6,940 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I figured I might as well get this thread rolling.

Disclaimer: This is a PROJECT CAR. I am in no rush, so please don't post complaints about how long it is taking me to do this. LOL. I am a busy guy, and have a family, so this project is not the center of my world.

When I sold my other M5, my plans were to buy an M4 or a 911TT, but Clemster called me and told me about this car and made me an offer I couldn't refuse. I've always loved the M5, but I wanted 700+hp. Instead of spending $30k on an S62 engine, I spent $175 on an LS.

Thanks to Clemster, rao, Herrubermensch, and all of my other friends who have helped me out with this.....

Stats:
2003 BMW M5
5.3L iron block LS - brand new stock internal rebuild from the ground up
799 heads - fresh valve job and all BTR goodies here too.
BTR twin turbo cam
T56 transmission
Twin 68mm turbos (CX Racing, aka, cheap turbos)
Tial MVR 44mm wastegates
Tial Q BOV's
I will run a meth system of some kind

Shooting for 700-800hp at the wheels.

The M5 - Sterling Gray, Executive Caramel Leather interior. (Thanks to Clemster for the hook up)

The egine: 5.3L LS from a 2005 Tahoe.

The foam LS block for fitting..... It is an exact replica of an LS engine, with heads, bolt holes, the whole thing. Pretty sweet.

I used an i6 subframe, so I had to source some additional parts.....

I moved the cross support forwards about an inch to clear the oil pan.

Other parts

68mm liquid and oil cooled turbo

Tial Wastegate

The awesome Ford Taurus fan:

I will be updating this thread as the project goes along. I have a lot of pictures. So this will take some time.....

·
Registered
6,940 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The engine rebuild.....

rao came to TF 2016 a few days early and guided me in the rebuild of the engine. Lunker325 was there with some help as well.

Rough looking lifter

Crank and block looked really good....

New pistons, rods, and rings gapped to boost settings as per LS1tech

Chinese head studs

·
Registered
6,940 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Some more random shots.....

·
Registered
6,940 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Since I'm trying to put a twin turbo LS in to an M5, finding an exhaust manifold is almost impossible. rao and I attempted several sets without any luck. Making my own set won't be the most efficient, but I don't really have a choice.

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
Very cool Tim! I'm glad to see that you've been able to make forward progress with the build - work and family can make it difficult to find time for projects. What boost are you expecting to be running to hit 700whp? What size are the turbos?

·
Registered
6,940 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Very cool Tim! I'm glad to see that you've been able to make forward progress with the build - work and family can make it difficult to find time for projects. What boost are you expecting to be running to hit 700whp? What size are the turbos?
68mm

I'm guessing 14 - 18psi, from reading LS1Tech.com

I'll only run as much as it takes, I'm going to run conservatively. If I don't hit 700hp, then I don't. With stock internals, I don't want to go crazy. But from what I've read and what I've been told, I am following the formula to make my power goals. This engine is only meant to last me until I build up a forged 6.0L iron block to put the boost to. I just wanted to iron it out with this relatively cheap engine.

·
Registered
540 Posts
Nice work, looking forward to seeing the progress from this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6,940 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Awesome to see the log. Love the progress.

I will admit though, it is impossible to put turbos on an M5, so this must be some sort of trickery.
It is impossible to do what YOU are doing, I am just doing what many others have done. (LS swap) Turbos on an LS aren't that hard, it's just a lot of piping. It just takes some ingenuity and planning.

·
Registered
286 Posts
In for the build! I assume you upgraded the rod bolts? Head studs and rod bolts are really all that's needed to make an iron block 5.3 bullet proof. I'm pushing 600 crank hp on mine with 170k miles on it and the bottom end has never been touched.

·
Registered
6,940 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Where did that foam LS block come from?
I bought it locally from a guy who had it just sitting in his shop. They can be found, you just have to stumble across one.

·
Registered
1,367 Posts
China turbos and head studs, but Tial wastegates and blow off valves? If you're gonna be cheap, at least be consistent. :tonquesmilie:

·
Registered
397 Posts
I just got back from the grocery store and stocked up on popcorn..... Love these threads. A s62 twin and LS twin both well past the maybe phase. Good luck to you both.

·
Registered
6,940 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
China turbos and head studs, but Tial wastegates and blow off valves? If you're gonna be cheap, at least be consistent. :tonquesmilie:
The turbos were $300 each compared to $1600 for brand name. Many LS owners using them with good results.

The China head studs have also been proven time and time again.

While the wastegates and BOV's have been reported to be junk. Those items also are the "control". If they go....... big bada-boom.

Thanks for your input, but I did spend a little bit of time and research on this instead of just wasting money......

·
Registered
6,940 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
It will be a challenge to change plugs, but it will at least fit in the engine bay.....

1 - 20 of 164 Posts
About this Discussion
163 Replies
67 Participants
ultamte
BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums
M5Board is the best forum community for information on the BMW M5 E60 (V-10), E39 (V-8), E34 (straight 6), E28, F90 and F10. Discuss performance, specs, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing