BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
6,014 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have had the great good fortune to rebuild 2 BMW 210mm differentials this past week - one a junkyard 88 750il and the junkyard diff that has been in my car for several years seeing upper 500 whp and, more importantly quick hitting upper 500 wtq on a daily basis.

I rebuilt the 88 diff and installed it in another e39 M5 case with all new bearings and then rebuilt my old diff to use as a spare.

I was getting some chatter at low speeds, but the differential still functioned (it really gets a workout in the snow :eek:). However I decided to do the rebuild as a precaution and to rebuild both to have a spare.

The good news is as most people know, the BMW 210mm diff is pretty stout. Neither differential had any bearing wear or ring and pinion wear. Inside the LSD the 750i differential showed very little wear, mine was a little different - plenty of wear on the clutches and lots of heat in the plates. Not a big shock.

Since I am at the upper range of what people put through these things I thought people would like to see the results so here we go:

For comparison purposes, the 750il differential internals:

Not a whole lot of wear:

Inside of my differential:

The new clutch is quite a bit thicker than the old clutch :eek:

Old clutches vs. new clutch - the old ones were pretty shiny and smooth:

More pics of the old clutches showing wear:

Heat damage to both plates:

PLEASE NOTE THAT I DO NOT OWN AN M5 AND THIS POST IS NOT INTENDED TO BE ARROGANT. PLEASE READ THE IMPORTANT REVISED DISCLAIMER THAT APPLIES TO THIS POST

·
Registered
184 Posts
So, for me who actually need a new diff :crying: Is the 750i a direct replacement for the stock M5 differential?

The prices on a 750i diff here is like 3 times less than a M5 diff ouich

·
Registered
6,014 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
All BMW 210mm differentials are the same.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Sweet, then i might need to get me one 750i diff instead of the absurd pricey M5 diff. I lost a tooth on my ring when my gearbox failed..
Are there any other models that uses the 210mm LSD diff or just the M5, 750? I havent done to much reading about this since i just noticed the failure 3hours ago..

·
Registered
6,014 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I have a stock 3.15 ring and pinion but the shipping would be quite pricey :eek:

Pretty much any V8 BMW from the mid 80's through the early 2000's use the 210mm diff, although you need one that has limited slip. Ther has to be a list somewhere.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Yeah im guessing the shipping can get pricey, i can get a used M5 Diff for around 4-500 euros but then i don't know the condition of it :/
I would love to find a list that actually says what diff that has the LSD and what models it actually went into.

If i were to replace the M5 diff with the e32 750 diff, do i need to change the back plate of it so that it will fit the M5?

·
Registered
6,014 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The parts that are the same are on the inside - you still need to use the case for the original application, in your situation you need to use the M5 case.

·
Registered
6,014 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
The guy lives on an island off of Sweden, I think shopping will be more than $15 ;)

·
Registered
184 Posts
Found one diff quite cheap in Sweden (360 USD) so gonna go get it next weekend, then my car might be for sale once that's replaced..sick of it now :/

Sorry for OT but nice seeing someone actually repairs these :)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts